Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
d16z6 turbo been sitting for a year misfire and bogging problem (pics inside!)

just bought a turbo del sol d16z6 engine that has been sitting for a year. since then i put new gas seafoam in the engine and gas. new fuel filter new spark plugs. oil change and new timing belt.

my car misfires at idle and can't seem to figure out why. It also bogs down at wot like pass 5k rpm. the distributor cap and rotors look good with no corrosion. tried new wires and that didn't change it. car is tuned on hondata s200 with a dishgken ecu but it's been sitting for a year so could the tune be out of whack?? or maybe the last owner didn't get it tuned right.. im currently looking for a tuner to see if the tune is ok.. also yesterday i noticed that there was a little bit of oil coming form the turbo manifold gasket.. could that be the problem? also i think there might be an exhaust leak coming from the front. trying to get all that fix as soon as possible to see if it would fix anything. does anybody have any insight? any advice or help would be appreciated.

havnt been pushing the car lately bc im scared to lol

·
Registered
115 Posts
Do a compression test to see if the engine is fine. Make sure your injectors are all firing. Then send it off to the tuner for diagnosis if those two items don't isolate the problem.

·
Registered
312 Posts
just bought a turbo del sol d16z6 engine that has been sitting for a year. since then i put new gas seafoam in the engine and gas. new fuel filter new spark plugs. oil change and new timing belt.

my car misfires at idle and can't seem to figure out why. It also bogs down at wot like pass 5k rpm. the distributor cap and rotors look good with no corrosion. tried new wires and that didn't change it. car is tuned on hondata s200 with a dishgken ecu but it's been sitting for a year so could the tune be out of whack?? or maybe the last owner didn't get it tuned right.. im currently looking for a tuner to see if the tune is ok.. also yesterday i noticed that there was a little bit of oil coming form the turbo manifold gasket.. could that be the problem? also i think there might be an exhaust leak coming from the front. trying to get all that fix as soon as possible to see if it would fix anything. does anybody have any insight? any advice or help would be appreciated.

havnt been pushing the car lately bc im scared to lol

first off you should not be pushing the car hard at all.if you have old gas in the tank you need to drain/run it out and put fresh gas in.you should not use seafoam in the oil of a turbo car.i would look into distributor more.the tune will not change it self.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah ive already put fresh gas in 91 octane only. so you think it's possibly the coil? or should i change out the whole distributor

·
Registered
391 Posts
yeah ive already put fresh gas in 91 octane only. so you think it's possibly the coil? or should i change out the whole distributor
You said the car misfire so air/fuel mixture is too out of balance to ignite, or loss of compression. Might want to change the coil to see if anything change, the entire distributor.

·
Registered
115 Posts
compression 150 on all 4. and is there a way to manually check fuel injectors?

Not really, you can take a screw driver and place it between your ear and the injector to hear it clicking. If you don't hear it clicking, probably not working at all or is stuck open. It's best to take them somewhere/send them to someone who has a flow testing machine.

Is it only missing in one cylinder? I should have asked that first.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds to me like all the cylinders are misfiring at idle. i will try your screwdriver idea thanks

i only used seafoam once bc i thought it was necessary to clean out all the gunk that could form from the car sitting for a year

and will look to pick up a coil sometimes to see if i have any luck.

so nobody thinks that the oil from the manifold gasket could be the culprit to all of this? or is that a possibility because i was thinking about taking everything apart and replacing all gaskets but don't know if that would help any.

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
Honestly I would pull the injectors and have them sent off to be cleaned and flow tested... next thing what plugs are you running? What are they gapped to? You said you put a timing belt on it, did you make sure all your timing marks were lined up?

Also did you clean your tb, and iacv? You'll be suprised what can get in there after a year.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
where would i get the injectors clean and flow tested at?

and im running stock recommended ngk plugs i was told i need colder plugs but when i try the old plugs it did the same thing. the old plugs are a different model plugs and gaps are different so i dont know if it's wrong either i'll have to check on that.

mechanic put the belt on and said he set the timing.

i am going to clean my tb and iacv today to see if that would help any

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
mechanic put the belt on and said he set the timing.
This means nothing. I'd check the mechanical timing as well.

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
Injector rehab will take care of your injectors.. click my nitrous install in my sig, it shows the plugs I was running. A colder plug will help you with fouling plugs down the road.. search around or pm some ppl that has a turbo d, and see what gap they are running..

Even if someone else did the timing belt I would still check and make sure if the mechanical timing is right.. also please post a video of what its doing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok i will get on that video. and also i cleaned the tb and iacv and nothing changed. also did the screwdriver trick and all injectors seems to be clicking consistently.

and i just got pulled over on my street by a cop on a motorcycle for going 10 over to test out my car -__- fucking fail lol got 3 tickets

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
here is the link to what my engine sounds like but the misfires are so small the camera didnt pick it up so i cant even hear it but here is goes

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok so i changed the coil pack. the car have not been driven around for probably a couple days now. crank it up, took it out. and it drove perfect! no bogging or anything. did some more runs with it to see if everything checked out. to see how much i'm boosting and stuff. car ran like a dream. then took it home and did not floor it at all the whole way home. let my turbo cool down then turn it off. 2 hrs later turn it back on to show a friend that it was working. got on the highway hit it and bam, it started doing it again...

so my theory is.. it's been sitting for awhile so maybe the oil that was on my manifold gasket and wherever else it could have been around the turbo was all settled down. then taking it on a few test run might have got it all over the place again so now it does that.. does this make sense or am i just dumb?? because my friend said his brother had oil all over his turbo gasket and stuff and it had the same symptoms.. don't know if he's dumb to or if he's right lol.

anybody got some insight on this?? help appreciated

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here are a few pics of the turbo and the oil leak on it if this helps any. what can i do to fix this? and would this fix my problem because i tried everything else already

1 - 20 of 22 Posts