Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
10 second daily driver :)
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so today before i took my head off we rotated the motor over until number 1 ( cyl closest to dizzy ) was TDC , the cam pulley is stock and the UP was up and the 2 lines was lined up with the head, but the crank pointer was not pointing to any of the 5 lines in my crank pulley, the pulley has 3 lines and then a space and then 2 more lines, well the pointer was past the last 2 lines by about 1 or 2 teeth on the belt, so does this mean the guy who built my motor didnt time it right? and if its was set up like this was it retarding or advancing me? or am i missing something? how would this affect my power out put? i always thought 305 whp was sorta low perhaps this is why?

·
Registered
crx
1,450 Posts
are you talking about the crank pointer on the lower timing belt cover? if so that is used for just timing not setting the crank to TDC. there is an arrow above the crank gear for that matched with the line on the crank gear not pulley. tdc for the cam is by the one mark that lines up with the pointer on the back of the upper timing cover with up facing up.

·
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
are you talking about the crank pointer on the lower timing belt cover? if so that is used for just timing not setting the crank to TDC. there is an arrow above the crank gear for that matched with the line on the crank gear not pulley. tdc for the cam is by the one mark that lines up with the pointer on the back of the upper timing cover with up facing up.
yes that is the pointer i am speaking of, and you sorta lost me on how to properly set to TDC.

·
Registered
whatever runs....
2,927 Posts
the arrow on the oil pump is for lining up the crank gear when putting on the timing belt, there IS a TDC white line on the pulley for ensuring the crank is in the correct position while you have the no1 piston at TDC....check the manual....

·
Registered
whatever runs....
2,927 Posts
okay, I checked my manual and the TDC white 'tick' on the crank pulley is the one farthest to the right. There will be two other white 'ticks' with a red 'tick' in between, this red mark is for timing it indicates 16 degrees btdc. This all could change though depending on if your block was decked or your head milled....what is your setup?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
someone NEEDS to download the factory manual ASAP!

#1 is closest to the crank pulley

89-95 D16 cam gear lines up at 7 o'clock.

·
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Nice copy & paste skilz jew! I was about to say that assuming the use of the stock Z6 cam gear in this case the two line opposite of each other WON'T be level with the surface of the block/deck...as pictured above. And if I remember right, when I timed my Z6 there was 4 tick marks on my crank pulley...a set of 3 and 1 all by itself. I used the single tick for my TDC timing and I was dead on.

·
Registered
whatever runs....
2,927 Posts
Nice copy & paste skilz jew! I was about to say that assuming the use of the stock Z6 cam gear in this case the two line opposite of each other WON'T be level with the surface of the block/deck...as pictured above. And if I remember right, when I timed my Z6 there was 4 tick marks on my crank pulley...a set of 3 and 1 all by itself. I used the single tick for my TDC timing and I was dead on.
yes, you are correct about the z6 pulley only having four tick marks, I'm wondering why boosted's pulley has a fifth?

·
Registered
stock sedan
1,460 Posts
anyone have a diagram of this for an A6,help would really be great:TU:

·
Registered
stock sedan
1,460 Posts
yes but i have my head off and was wondering if i need to have #1 piston at TDC when i go to put the head back on?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
yes but i have my head off and was wondering if i need to have #1 piston at TDC when i go to put the head back on?

better to NOT have any pistons at TDC when dropping the head on. I prefer the crank at 90 BTDC to prevent valves kissing pistons.

·
Registered
stock sedan
1,460 Posts
better to NOT have any pistons at TDC when dropping the head on. I prefer the crank at 90 BTDC to prevent valves kissing pistons.
any one have a diagram,pics,or a diy on this-cant seem to find one

1 - 17 of 17 Posts