Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to the site here.... been into hondas for the last few years, swaped a jdm gsr into a da9..now im going the boost route.. Ive got a 93 si hatchback im working on... I got a turbo off a 92 TDI jetta.. my question is..will this turbo work on a d16?(what kinda boost do they put out, how will it work with a high reving motor vs the low reving diesel its off of?) ive been searching up on the net and cant find any answers, or anyone who has done this... thanks!

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
It'll most likely boost just like it was or very similar to the Jetta TDI engine(boost low but run out of breath at higher RPM).

·
Registered
618 Posts
The factory 90hp TDI engines built between 1999-2006 in North America use a conventional Garrett GT15 turbocharger ( 90hp VNT15 ) with an variable-geometry exhaust housing. These turbo's are designed for up to 15 psi sustained boost with peaks of 18psi under hard acelleration. Depending on your fueling performance upgrades, which require higher boost levels for improved performance, and lower EGT's, PDR recommends the Garrett variable-geometry 110hp VNT15 or the 150hp VNT17 turbochargers. These are factory Volkswagen turbochargers from the European 110HP and 150HP VW TDi diesel engines.

You would have to make an adapter plate.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Hey guys, new to the site here.... been into hondas for the last few years, swaped a jdm gsr into a da9..now im going the boost route.. Ive got a 93 si hatchback im working on... I got a turbo off a 92 TDI jetta.. my question is..will this turbo work on a d16?(what kinda boost do they put out, how will it work with a high reving motor vs the low reving diesel its off of?) ive been searching up on the net and cant find any answers, or anyone who has done this... thanks!

Also I don't think they had a 92 TDI

I owned a 92 gti and never heard vw having diesel in the u.s.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Simply put, it'd be like driving a larger displacement car with a shitty flowing head.

Torque down low, then no balls past 6000.

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Also I don't think they had a 92 TDI

I owned a 92 gti and never heard vw having diesel in the u.s.
There were 92 TDIs, and he's not in USA.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Welcome to the D!
A fellow Canadian, what part of NS you from?

This might not be such a bad idea if you're building a car for AutoX, but probably not what you're looking for if it's more of a drag racer. Any plans to build the block and/or the head?

·
Registered
158 Posts
TDI came out in NA in late mk3 years. Before that was IDI (all mechanical). 99 and up had the vnt turbo setup built into the exhaust manifold. Go to vwdiesel.net for all the info you will ever need.

IMO don't waste your time with that setup. My friend has an 84 jetta 1.6td and the stock turbo starts to blow hot air fast. He switched to an hx25 and has the same spool but much cooler temps and way more flow.

I've seen the b18 in a mk2 but still waiting to see an alh tdi in a civic. 70-80mpg and plenty of power.

·
Registered
219 Posts
TDI were sold in North America from 1996.

96-99 used a GT15 turbo. I assume that IDI 1.6's and 1.9's used a similar turbo. This kind of turbo is extremely puny and would probably run out steam at like 4000 rpm.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I highly doubt it. Imagine a turbo roughly the size of your fist, that's how small it is. TDI guys blow them up left right and center. Essentially the power ban would be so narrow, you might as well drive a diesel.

·
Registered
764 Posts
You can not compare how a diesel and a gas engine spool a turbo. You have to loo at a comp map and look at its CFM. Remember Diesel run an insane amount of CR because Diesel will NOT knock (literally there is no predetonation with a diesel). The CR is 19.5:1 without boost so think about how easy the diesel will spool that sucker. Also ther is more cubes to help as well. Some of them make as much as 240 lb ft at 1900 RPM's. That same level of toque at 5200 will get you the same level of hp so 240 hp. Trust me the D will not spool it no where near as quick as the Diesel will.

HOWEVER I still don't think it is a great turbo for top end power. It would probably be good for anything in between say 2500 and 5500 but I don't think it will make huge power Also it is not an easy NOR cheap turbo to rebuild. There are for sure better and cheaper choices out there.

·
Registered
219 Posts
You can not compare how a diesel and a gas engine spool a turbo. You have to loo at a comp map and look at its CFM. Remember Diesel run an insane amount of CR because Diesel will NOT knock (literally there is no predetonation with a diesel). The CR is 19.5:1 without boost so think about how easy the diesel will spool that sucker. Also ther is more cubes to help as well. Some of them make as much as 240 lb ft at 1900 RPM's. That same level of toque at 5200 will get you the same level of hp so 240 hp. Trust me the D will not spool it no where near as quick as the Diesel will.

HOWEVER I still don't think it is a great turbo for top end power. It would probably be good for anything in between say 2500 and 5500 but I don't think it will make huge power Also it is not an easy NOR cheap turbo to rebuild. There are for sure better and cheaper choices out there.
This post is an indication that a little knowledge is a bad thing. Turbochargers do not spool based on cfm numbers alone; heat and sound also are factors. The 240 lb ft number at 5200 rpm is irrelevant. So is your comparison of torque and horsepower and how that relates to turbo sizing. Furthermore. 99 percent of diesels do not operate at RPM levels that high.

The point you missed that a diesel's peak torque occurs low in the rev range. Not at some obscenely high number like the one you suggested. This dramtically changes how the turbo is sized.

HP = Torque x RPM/5252

For interest's sake we'll use your figure of 240lb/ft at 1900 rpm.

HP= 240 x 1900/ 5252

HP = 86.82

Therefore contrary to you point, the turbo is spec'd for a motor developing roughly 90 horsepower not 240hp as you had suggested. However since you are banging the drum for CFM! CFM! CFM! Let's do a quick and dirty calculation using a conversion tool off a popular website.

CFM Calculator

Inputting 86.82 horsepower gives 130.82 CFM. Or roughly 10 lbs per minute. If you look at the compressor graph for that turbo (GT15) you will see that 10lb/min falls within the sweet spot for this turbo. You will also see that if you put the turbo to it's absolute limit, it won't even produce enough flow for 200hp. I'm not sure of the comparable flow numbers from a D16 but I'm positive your power-band estimates are off, way off. Its probably something like 1500-4000. Insta-diesel!

Lastly, I'll draw a personal comparison, forget the numbers. My little teeny tiny JRSC M45 OUTFLOWS that turbo. If that isn't an indication of how friggin small the turbo on a IDI/TDI Volkswagen diesel is; then I don't know what is.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts