Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 1999 ej9 with a d14z2 and I'm buying a d16z6, comes with everything for swap engine, gearbox, ancillaries, driveshafts, even wiring loom and p28 ecu. I've heard it's not a hard swap but I haven't swapped a Honda engine before and neither have my friends who will be helping me.

Does anyone have a guide I can use to help me?

Thanks

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,052 Posts
yes, the guide is called s-e-a-r-c-h

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol Slo!ound
I assume you are not in the States since you have a D14z2.

But I have 3 words: Free Helms Manual.
Yes I'm from the uk
Never heard of helms manuals before but I've just found a few websites that have free downloads

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've heard it's not a hard swap but I haven't swapped a Honda engine before and neither have my friends who will be helping me.
You're going from one D series to another D series. The level of difficulty isn't going to be high. That's probably also why you can't find much information because even though this is an engine swap, it's still the same form factor. Hell, you even have a wiring loom for the engine and ECU. Do you feel competent pulling the D14 and putting it back in? If so, proceed with swapping the D16 in it's place.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You're going from one D series to another D series. The level of difficulty isn't going to be high. That's probably also why you can't find much information because even though this is an engine swap, it's still the same form factor. Hell, you even have a wiring loom for the engine and ECU. Do you feel competent pulling the D14 and putting it back in? If so, proceed with swapping the D16 in it's place.
Thanks for replying
The main part I'm confused with is the electrics, basically going from obd2 to obd1, will I have to change my dash loom to connect the p28 ecu and engine loom?
Also will my current key work fine, I've read that the p28 doesn't have a immobiliser, but my current ecu has an immobiliser will that cause any problems?
Thanks

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And yes I'm quite confident in pulling out the old D14 I pretty much had it out when I did the clutch on it. I've also done a few engine swaps on other vehicles but usually the same engine/wiring

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,052 Posts
or you could find an odb2 ecu and use the odb2 sensors in the head to run it. just wire vtec up

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks for replying
The main part I'm confused with is the electrics.
Here's what you need to do: Find the pinout for your ECU, find a wiring diagram for your harness, and verify each connection as you hook things up. I'm running an OBD0 harness with an OBD1 ECU, an OBD2 distributor, and injectors that require the addition of a resistor box. The best way for me to wire up that system was to look at the ECU pinout, review the wiring diagram, and make connections from there. Feel free to search but I think your results will get very convoluted as each application is different. Just use diagrams; it's much easier than following a forum tutorial that may or may not be specific to your needs.

Your best friends in this process are going to be the continuity testing function as well as the voltage measurement function on a multi-meter.
Also will my current key work fine.
Your key is relative to your ignition cylinder. We're not dealing with PATS or any other similar feature. It's fine.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's what you need to do: Find the pinout for your ECU, find a wiring diagram for your harness, and verify each connection as you hook things up. I'm running an OBD0 harness with an OBD1 ECU, an OBD2 distributor, and injectors that require the addition of a resistor box. The best way for me to wire up that system was to look at the ECU pinout, review the wiring diagram, and make connections from there. Feel free to search but I think your results will get very convoluted as each application is different. Just use diagrams; it's much easier than following a forum tutorial that may or may not be specific to your needs.

Your best friends in this process are going to be the continuity testing function as well as the voltage measurement function on a multi-meter.

Your key is relative to your ignition cylinder. We're not dealing with PATS or any other similar feature. It's fine.
Okay I've found wiring diagrams on another forum and I think will will have to do what you have suggested

Okay so there shouldn't be any issues with the immobiliser then?
Thanks for the help :)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay im hopefully going to be doing the swap tomorrow, I was cleaning/degreasing the engine today and I think theres more sensors on it than on my old engine, what do I do if I have a sensor but no plug?
Also any last minute advice?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
Use the original 99 engine harness. The one that's on the z6 motor won't work.

Your gonna need an obd2 to obd1 adapter for the distributor. There's two different styles. An 8 wire plug and a 10 wire plug. You can cut and splice the distributor plug from the z6 harness and put it on the 99 harness.

You will need either an adapter from obd2 to obd1 or y8 injectors. You can all so use the injector plugs from the z6 harness and splice them to the 99 harness.

You should be able to reuse your old alternator. If not you will need to cut the plug from the z6 harness and splice it to the 99 harness.

You will need and Ecu step down harness to use the p28 Ecu. Using the p28 Ecu and the z6 motor there will be a few plugs not used. 2nd o2,knock,crank sensor and a few others.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Use the original 99 engine harness. The one that's on the z6 motor won't work.

Your gonna need an obd2 to obd1 adapter for the distributor. There's two different styles. An 8 wire plug and a 10 wire plug. You can cut and splice the distributor plug from the z6 harness and put it on the 99 harness.

You will need either an adapter from obd2 to obd1 or y8 injectors. You can all so use the injector plugs from the z6 harness and splice them to the 99 harness.

You should be able to reuse your old alternator. If not you will need to cut the plug from the z6 harness and splice it to the 99 harness.

You will need and Ecu step down harness to use the p28 Ecu. Using the p28 Ecu and the z6 motor there will be a few plugs not used. 2nd o2,knock,crank sensor and a few others.
Thanks for replying
I have found a few diagrams that explain how to re wire the distributor and injectors seems striaght forwardish

I have a obd2b to obd1 jumper harness.
I haven't found a diagram for the alternator yet, although I wss planning on using my old alternator.

What about the iacv do I need to wire it, I have a diagram about switching it from a 3 wire to a 2 wire?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
The alternator wiring is straight forward. The wire colors should be the same.

Yes you will need to convert from 3 wire to 2 wire iacv.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts