Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

So I just had a full stainless exhaust with Vibrant mufflers built for my classic mini d16z6 swap. I'm running into a few issues however:

1. Major hesitation off idle

2. While motor is under load, hesitation is worse and car almost dies if too much throttle is given

3. IACV code (code 14) p28 ecu

It might honestly be the tune, but I figured I would get an opinion from you guys. Thanks!

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
Fix the CEL problem and see if it clears up. Sometimes the CEL will cause the ECU to go into limp mode.

IACV may need to be taken off and cleaned and have the gasket replaced.

What intake and IACV are you using?

·
Registered
18 Posts
-check tps voltage
-inspect your distributor cap and rotor, resistance test the coil
-possible incorrect base timing?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
-check tps voltage
-inspect your distributor cap and rotor, resistance test the coil
-possible incorrect base timing?
-what voltage should I be looking for? And how should I test it? Wire piercing probe?

-the coil is brand new. Same with the rotor and cap.

-the base timing could be off. They put a base map on the ecu while it had no exhaust on. Do you think I should get it remapped?

·
Registered
18 Posts
- I believe it's 0.5v closed throttle to ~4.5v WOT, make sure as you open throttle slowly the voltage rises consistently as well. you prob the ground wire (black?) on the sensor and test between that wire and the block or head.

-Good to know you can rule out ignition.

-The ecu makes it's timing adjustments in addition/subtraction from base timing. So if your base timing is retarded by 10 degrees it means your entire map is retarded by ten degrees as well. You shouldn't need a remap, just use a timing light to confirm your base timing is proper.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
How is your mechanical timing?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Soooo, turns out the fix was pretty simple.... I was out of gas lol. I filled up the tank and the hesitation mostly went away. Here's a vid of a quick pull I did yesterday. Sorry for the shitty recording lol.

https://vid.me/PxW7

There's still some hesitation, but it's not as bad. I have to mess with the intake a bit but otherwise I'm gonna take it in to get properly tuned. I'll check the mechanical timing when I get a chance.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hard to tell from just a couple no load revs, but it does look like worn piston rings to me... possibly just really really bad valve seals that are sucking in lots of oil when in vacuum and burning off during rev? either way its oil smoke not condensation.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts