Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm new to the forum and honda 4cyl. I have a 95 civic ex with the stock d16z6. I need more power using factory parts and it has to be NA for the rules. I'm limited to using factory honda parts for the class but it can be tuned. I was wondering what factory honda parts to look for that will bolt onto the d16z6 and make more power. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated. But it has to be NA for the rules.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As far as I know I can the rules say no aftermarket performance parts honda parts to honda cars or OE replacement. I can motor swap it but its a class with a 1000$ claim rule so I don't really want to go too over board on it. It's also my starter car I have another car I can build for next year.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ran it friday night and it did great was running 4th and it started to over heat. I think I got that straightened out. I'm going to run it again this friday I'm sure it's a good top 3 car in the starter class I'm in now as it sits but when I move up to the other class its going to need more power to be a top 5 car.

·
Registered
Honda Del Sol Si
89 Posts
Im not sure how much you can do without being able to tune the factory ecu. You could swap to a Y8 head like AutoXCivic suggested, which would bump your compression up to 9.66:1 without having to dig into the block. Also I'm not sure how much you can safely shave the block/head with the Y8, hopefully someone can answer that. You could then go further and change to different pistons for even higher compression.

P2M = 9.77:1
P2P = 9.81:1
P2E = 10.2:1
PM6 = 10.6:1
PG6 = 12.58:1!!
These are all with a Y8 head. I left some out, but you can play with it here: Honda D-Series Compression Calculator by ZealAutowerks
Note: The actual head gasket thickness of a Y8/Z6 is 0.027 NOT 0.037 like the site says.

Edit: I plan on doing a Y8 head swap and I've read that if you swap to the Y8 head you should keep your Z6 cam otherwise your timing will be 4.5° (I think) off. I think there is also the option of using the Y8 can and installing it 4.5° off.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I can tune the factory ECU on my car I will there are alot of guys jetting theirs tuned but I'm not sure if the are obd1 or obd2 my car is obd1 so I don't know if it can be tuned.

·
Registered
Honda Del Sol Si
89 Posts
You could also consider (if you haven't already) weight reduction. It won't add power but it will help acceleration and handling.

·
Registered
Honda Del Sol Si
89 Posts
If I can tune the factory ECU on my car I will there are alot of guys jetting theirs tuned but I'm not sure if the are obd1 or obd2 my car is obd1 so I don't know if it can be tuned.
OBD1 Honda ECUs are easily chipped and tuned. I just wasn't sure if chipping or installing a standalone ECU in order to tune it was within the rules.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The car weight is 2263lbs with me in it and a half a tank of fuel the minimum i can weigh is 2200 so I can't take much more out.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
50 Posts
The car weight is 2263lbs with me in it and a half a tank of fuel the minimum i can weigh is 2200 so I can't take much more out.
You've got it wrong.

Take all the weight you can out of it and then add weight back where you actually want it.

If it's a dirt track car, I'd start with as low and as driver's side as possible

·
Registered
Honda Del Sol Si
89 Posts
You've got it wrong.

Take all the weight you can out of it and then add weight back where you actually want it.

If it's a dirt track car, I'd start with as low and as driver's side as possible
I thought about that earlier, but didn't say anything. You could also remove unsprung weight and rotational mass and add the equivalent dead weight back in until you are right at your limit.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Might have the wrong ECU, cold limiter is 6800 rpm IIRC.
How would I know if I had the wrong ECU? I figured if you had the wrong ECU it wouldn't run. I've also heard about running a dummy temp sensor to trick the ECU and keep it from reducing power.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Look at your ECU, under the carpet by the passenger side wheel well. Im pretty sure you should have a P28.
Luckily I don't have to move any carpet or trim. It is a bare shell with cage I have a peace of tarp wrapped around the ECM just to keep it dry. I appreciate it I'll check that when I get off work.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts