Honda D Series Forum banner

d16z6 starts then immediately dies

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  nub 
#1 ·
Hey everybody, got a problem to pick apart. Got a 94 ex 5 speed that started acting up. Went to hop in and go home after work and the Ol' Honda wouldn't run. Car would crank over and the motor would start up, however it immediately died after start up. Despite pulling ecu fuse/ disconnecting the battery it wouldn't go away. If I floored the gas pedal the car would start up and rev to 4-5k before coming back down, almost seemed like spark was getting cut. Unfortunately the car is still at my work and I'm going on vacation so I can't currently diagnose. Didn't check for any cel codes at the time. Something tells me ignition switch however I'm pretty sure I kept the key to crank a couple times while it was stalling (grinded the starter :pinch: ) any input would be fantastic so I can have some ideas when I get back home. Thanks!

#3 ·
It may sound stupid but make sure there's gas in the tank.
I've bought 2 cars the previous owners gave up on due to no start. After messing with them for a few minutes realized the fuel gauge was below E. Added gas and profit.

Watch for the CEL to tun on and off after a couple of seconds when the key is tuned to the run posistion.

Listen for the main relay and fuel pump prime when the key is turned to the run position.

Borrow or rent a fuel pressure gauge. You may have a failing fuel pump.

If you have a timing light take it with you. Use it to watch for spark on a plug wire while the runs and starts to die.

Take a jump box or have a second vehicle and some jumper cables.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.