Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is not the place to post this but my motor is seized and i want to know if there are any reasons why this may have happened and what i could do to (maybe) fix.

Seized as in will not crank manually via pulley.

I was on a 50-55 mile drive doing the speed limit (65) and near the exit i was going to take the car had an instant loss of power upon giving it more gas. Basically if i would accelerate the car would beging to slow down and start to die. I managed to pull off in a parking lot and when i started it there was a loud clanking noise. AFAIK its not rodknock as it went away when at 4-5k rpm. Any attempt in driving would not work so i was forced to flatbed it back. Once at my house again i managed to jump start it, and drive but after 5 mintues of starting and trying to drive it just died. It would not jumpstart after this point. Took out the sparks and attempted to crank by hand at the crank pulley bolt and it only moves about 5 degrees and will not rotate further, going clockwise has the same effect moves slightly and then stops and will not turn over.

Before i pull the motor i would like to know if there is anything that could possibly unseize it without having to go into a rebuild or a new motor all together.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,978 Posts
If you even remotely believe the engine "seized", take it apart. There is no quick fix lol. Everything now needs to be inspected.

Do you have oil in it?

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,463 Posts
loud clanking noise?

drain the oil, use a coffee filer, how sparkly is it?

bent rod, cooked rod bearing, piston welded to sleeve, broken crank, open the pan and look for pretty colors

Reactions: Oldcivicjoe

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
1,027 Posts
Took out the sparks and attempted to crank by hand at the crank pulley bolt and it only moves about 5 degrees and will not rotate further, going clockwise has the same effect moves slightly and then stops and will not turn over.
Are you trying to turn the motor while it's in gear?

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Is this an automatic or manual?

My first step prior to disassembly, would be to remove the valvecover, and check every spring and valve for whetehr it is loose or snug. Give each one a wiggle, and any that feel like they are locked in palce, or feel severely loose, I would have a finger on as you try to turn the engine over. This is to see if it is a valvetrain issue.

Else pop the header/manifold downpipe off, remove the engine oil pan, and inspect anything for signs of being super-heated or broken.

Dropped valves are getting more and more common, as the age of the valve retainers keeps climbing.

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,558 Posts
Did it smoke at all when all this was happening?

Did you lose any coolant?

Rod knock can actually hit a harmonic where it doesn't sound like its knocking at 4-5k rpms, so, yeah.......

Engine will have to be disassembled. Pulling the valve cover and looking at the valves is a good idea since it won't turn, but I'd bet it either dropped a valve, or blew a head gasket which locked it down, or no oil and the piston is seized on the cylinder wall. All of those are considered catastrophic failures.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was once checking to see if a v8 would turn over. It didn’t. Turned out the power steering pump was seized, took that belt off and the motor turned. Just throwing ideas out there if you’re still hopeful for a quick fix.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
An update to all this im sorry i didnt know i wouldnt get thread update notifications, but there was no smoke no coolant loss, the d16 is a frankenstein type build with a z6 block and a d15 head and when it was put together they didnt add any of the other belts. Has a manual rack so i dont really think it matters.

I have since removed the valve cover and 2 valve springs had play and the main timing belt for the cam had no tension at all. I believe it skipped timing and i now need most likely a new motor depending how the head held up.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
These are surprisingly tough engines. My 01 civic I just gave away is still putting the miles on with 3 perfect cylinders and 1 completely dead due to a dropped valve. Dunno where it went, but it didnt hurt anything enough to lock the engine up. Oil came out clean too afterwards.

Its getting a new cylinder head once it warms up around here though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts