Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 civic hatch
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im rebuilding a d16z6 to put in my 91 civic hatch dx
ive taken the motor apart and ive sent the block to the machine shop to get cleaned and decked for a level surface and a pressure test for possible boost
i sent the crank to the machine shop also to get the rod journals resurfaced (the motor had spun a rod bearing)
im just doing a simple rebuild not high compression just a learning experience
also im swapping the stock auto tranny for a 95si hydro
heres some pics

piston tops..sorry for the glare flash was on

the spun rod bearing top set=the spun the bottom set=good set

z6 head

ok quick question the previous owner swears on his life that this is an aftermarket cam...to everyone ive asked it looks stock.. it does have an aftermarket cam gear which has been advanced 6-7 degrees i have yet to get ahold of a micrometer or measurement of some sort so i dont know
what do you think?

·
Registered
Frost White EJ1
98 Posts
i sent the crank to the machine shop also to get the rod journals resurfaced (the motor had spun a rod bearing)
I'm in the process of buying a Z6 block and head dirt cheap to rebuild myself, and this block also has a spun bearing. Would you mind telling me roughly how much it costs to get the journals resurfaced? I'm going to have to do that as well if that's what it takes to fix a spun bearing.

Good cleanup by the way, everything looks nice so far!

·
Registered
91 civic hatch
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
... Would you mind telling me roughly how much it costs to get the journals resurfaced? I'm going to have to do that as well if that's what it takes to fix a spun bearing.

.QUOTE]

well they had to send out my crank to get it resurfaced because they couldnt do it at the shop but it cost $125 but it took 2 weeks only cause they sent it out

the only downside of having it resurfaced is when it is reassembled you need the oversized bearings. im still waiting for a price quote from a buddy who works at the local honda.

thanks for the compliments guys i'll keep you updated

·
Registered
91 civic hatch
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So i got some bad and good news today
there was something wrong with the top of one of the cylinder walls
they said they could bore it out i think .2 over
and get a set of pistons and rings for $200...not bad at all
bad news im not getting it back till around the 2nd or 3rd of Jan
O well bigger bore=more power
ill keep you updated

·
Banned
998 Posts
dude for 125$ u could have bought 2 good cranks and ther only over boring to .2mm? why not just go the .5mm to 75.5mm and be good to go

and for 200$ for new pistons
id shop around and get some h beams or fjt i beams and p29 or something pistons for that price
it would cost u like 100$ more but then ur block would be able to handle 400whp +++

·
Registered
857 Posts
That is either a stock cam or a regrind. You can identify it from the grooves on axle, and pressed-in lobes. VTEC lobes are thinner towards the middle. Based on the lobe/base circle size, I'd say that is a stock cam. Or a very very mild regrind. Anything stamped on dizzy end? Pic? Take also a pic or measurement of the intake lobes (side view). If the "thicker/wider" outer VTEC lobe periphery has constant width, it is not a regrind either.

Valvesprings look like aftermarket parts because of linear design. My Z6 stock springs were progressive. Retainers are stock.

·
Registered
91 civic hatch
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great news
I got the motor back this past tues.
i stated earlier that they were boring it out .2 over
i was mistaken they gave me the standard US inches which i beleive was .02 in
but they gave me a measurement in metric which turned out to be 75.5 mm bore
I have yet to take pictures but tommorw they will hopefully be up
Motor swap hopefully to be done jan 18-19

·
Registered
91 civic hatch
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
heres some photos

ok so i bought the obd0-obd1 conversion
ive read on other forums that i need to convert my stock dx engine harness to mpfi and buy a vtec subharness
I have obd1 injectors so i dont need the resistor box.
the pigtail on the conversion has the 4 wires for the 02 sensor, 1 wire for the vtec solenoid signal, 1 wire for the vtec pressure signal switch signal, Intake air bypass, Knock sensor, and a few power and ground, and lastly the service check signal.

Question: With this harness do i need any other electrical harnesses and just rewire to mpfi? also ive read on other forums that there is no Knock sensor on the d16z6(the new motor thats going in) and the Intake air bypass signal isnt looked for by the p28 ecu(the new ecu)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts