Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
So i just finished swapping the engine in and ive run into a small issue. Below is a video that I took revving the engine up a bit...

https://vid.me/1UtF

As you can see, the smoke doesn't happen until the higher RPMs. I figured that the smoke is probably due to worn rings. So, I think im going to tear it down and rebuild it myself. I have a few questions:

1. While ive got the engine apart, what else should I inspect/replace?

2. I plan on boosting the car in the future. What internals can I "beef up" in preperation?

3. Am I getting ahead of myself? Is there a simpler fix for this such as oil treatment?

This isnt something Im planning on doing anytime soon, I just want to prepare for if things go south.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Smoke in VTEC is often valve stem seals. Can be rings too though, but its commonly the stem seals.

Going too much power in your Mini will be silly I'd have thought. Personally, I'd try a pretty small turbo, 8-10 psi through a T25 or variation of, keep internals stock and enjoy the grin factor

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Considering you can do valve stem seals without removing the ehad or engine, I would go that route first.

hop on youtube and look at how some guys are doing it with nylon rope.

they will have an indication of how much rope was used.

Idea being you get the piston to bottom center, feed the rope in via the empty sparkplug hole, and rotate the motor slowly, while moving the rope around, to compress it against the head.

at this time you would have the valvetrain for the most part removed, so you dont end up bending a valve trying to open.

with some care and patience you can change the stem seals in a single afternoon

Again, teh hardest part is successfully yanking the old stem seals off without hruting the valve. There are a few tools out there that do this without damaging or risking scoring a line onto the valve

·
Registered
438 Posts
I would think smoking in vtec would be rings and not valve seals. Valve seal smoke tends to show up in times of high manifold vacuum. Vtec or wide open throttle=little or low vacuum.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
well, one good way to determine its valve stem seals is to find a bigass hill to coast down in gear, and at bottom of hill burp the throttle, and if she puffs smoke then clears up, its the valve stem seals most likely. Valve guides (especially exhaust side) are also common

·
Registered
18 Posts
Most obvious sign that it's valve seals alone is a big puff after cold start that clears up within like 10 seconds. To me this looks like worn rings.. best way to tell is by observing the car while driving... take a look haul up a hill in 4th gear WOT and if its smoking the whole time it's rings.

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
I've always wanted to drop my Z6 motor into an old mini. that would be tits to drive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts