Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
94 Civic Ex Sedan
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, long story short, the first rebuild of my life did not turn out ideally. I have had numerous problems with the engine due to mostly inexperience I figure. I forgot to set my ignition timing. I blew a head gasket. Heavy oil leak. Knocking/clunking noise in engine bay.

Not engine related: I have a very worn lower control arm bushing clunking around. I have a power steering leak. My exhaust is old, loud and not looking too good

My plans are to rebuild my spare D16Z6 with the bit of experience I have gained. And address the other problems as well.

·
Registered
'97 hatch
438 Posts
Good luck, man. I managed to blow up my first rebuild, but 2nd attempt (write-up in my sig line) went much more smoothly. Learned some good lessons!

Doing control arm bushings now.

·
Registered
94 Civic Ex Sedan
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Got some OEM supplies. I want to do this rebuild as close to perfect as I can. I also got a magnetic drain plug :)

Got some tools to get the jobs done easier. Pretty stoked to use the valve adjuster tool. And, this time I will not have to use my fingers to put on my rings. I have to fix my harness a bit, hence the wire strippers.

Next step: Get stuff hot-tanked.

·
Registered
94 Civic Ex Sedan
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

·
Registered
94 Civic Ex Sedan
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does anybody think could cause even the slightest bit of problem for me?

Where the timing belt pulley and the tiny little key slide onto the crankshaft.

It took me a good 20 minutes to get the timing belt pulley off and it ate that crankshaft groove a bit...

I think it is fine but I know a lot of you have way more experience than I do.

·
Registered
93 DelSol S, 95 DelSol Si, 01 Odyssey EX, 04 CRV EX
2,170 Posts
Wow @ how much oil you were burning.

Seat those rings! On the first startup I scare people on seating in the rings... but it hasn't ever let me down. I haven't had one build with oil consumption breaking motors in this way.
The key is to vary rpm constantly in that first 15 min, do NOT overheat it and make sure your cooling system holds pressure and has no air, and give the engine several wide open blips to at most 2/3 of redline. Positive and negative load is needed to seat the rings fully.

After initial 15min breakin, in 2nd gear do a full throttle pull to half of redline, engine break to 25mph.
Increase by 1000rpm, and repeat twice.
Increase by 1000rpm and repeat twice again.

Follow that procedure to 500rpm before redline. Avoid reline stress during this period.

Pull over.

Let engine cool for 15 min or more.

Drive like a normal car, hard and soft. I am very hard on my machines, the engines are always clean and burn no oil. A bottom I built and broke in like I didn't care about it, survived 40k miles of turbo with no intercooler, two headgaskets (used paper type and more boost than i should have), and a friend I sold it to got lots more life before he burned out a piston.

Sorry to lecture, but, its worked for me. Babying an engine is asking it to always be treated that way.

Good luck on the rebuild, I always love rebuilding a d :)

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Looks like your crank pulley came loose once.

As long as its solid when its bolted in with a woodruff key, you should be fine.
Make sure a woodruff key fits in the slot, if your woodruff is damaged, replace it of course.

I've sometimes had to use a dremel and rapir the key slot.

·
Registered
94 Civic Ex Sedan
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Questions.

1. If I plan to run about 7 psi, should I replace my head bolts?

note* I have OEM Pistons (0.5 over), rings, timing belt, water pump, oil pump, thermostat, tensioner set, and some odds and ends like pcv valve on order already from hondapartsunlimited.com

2. I was planning on using Fel-Pro gasket set, but after further thought, I am thinking just sticking OEM for everything. thoughts?

3. I was also debating between ACL and OEM bearings. At this point, I am really thinking I might as well just do everything OEM

4. OEM clutch set is ~$200 anybody think I should just get exedy or something? Or is OEM the best?

*I spent so much on OEM parts already, you guys think I should go OEM all the way?

*I want this thing to last a long time with a small ball bearing garrett turbo on ~7psi

*I am not looking to hurry through this

Any advice is appreciated

·
one grumpy old man
786 Posts
if its already apart i would do arp headstuds

oem head gasket for sure

i would get a little better clutch than oem.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I used the evergreen gasket sets with excellent results. They even come with timing cover seals :)

I always recommend headstuds with boosted builds. All headbolt cars needed a new HG at some point in their life, because I like to run it at its limit for what it is. Being my own tuner I can do that much easier.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts