Honda D Series Forum banner

D16z6 Overheating problem

5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  murders23 
#1 ·
let me start by saying I have a d16z6 which consist of a y7 block(70k) and a z6 head(60K), the motor has new pistons(Z6), rings and bearings about 5k ago

The motor runs at operating temperature all day on the flat land no problem going easy, but once I start up hill or start to get a heavy foot it heats up, I've checked almost everything, Coolant flow, thermostat, temp sensors, fan works, i have a toggle switch for the fan to use at my own discretion, I even got a larger radiator out of another honda thats about twice a thick as the old, I've tried 3 radiator caps,

The car does not steam at all from the exhaust, and there is no oil in the coolant, or vice versus, I've re-torqued the head, the heater is bypassed, I've even had the thermostat out, it runs cooler that way till we see the hills.

1 thing sticks out to me, the cooling system is pushing coolant into the overflow tank, and eventually out of the overflow.

It runs cooler then operating tempurature for about half an hour till i gets good and warm, then runs opertaing temp till the motor gets a work out...

I have one other question, in the head gaskets the coolant holes are gated, if i were to get a 3 layer MLS head gasket and remove the middle layer for better flow, would i encounter and problems..???
(head gasket is my last resort)

please help, I'm a car feen, and this is hurting my pride more then anything else.....

See less See more
#2 ·
Well it does sound like a headgasket. Under a load it could be lifting the head up and pushing exhaust (compression) from the cylinders into the cooling system. This will push coolant into the overflow and out, but will not show any signs of mixture ie. coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant.

#5 ·
I m goin threu the same problem my waterpump went bad I replaced it along with the raditor thermostat and after I had this problem I tried burping the air out and just got tired of waiting after like half an hour even after I turn the radiotr cap just once ( not locked position) drove around for a while stoped open the little valve and stil never got a steady flow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.