Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, off the top i feel really dumb to even post this. (go ahead and make fun) However i did and oil change on my ride last week it only had 3.3 qts in her. My car is an EJ1 with a basic turbo setup. I have a catch can... non vented, run between the VC cover, and the intake tube. Never have i had a problem with this, but there is oil coming out of my dipstick tube at a pretty consistant rate. Enough to cause a lot of smoke. Now i usually run 4.6-4.8 Qts (Helm says 4.2 with filter) because of the turbo oil lines + return hoses and all that good shit. So... am i trippin to run extra oil? Ive been running it like this for two years. no problems until last night. My driving style has been pretty conservative lately, little amounts of boosting, so im not sure to blame the PCV or my self for over filling. Any ideas would help.

Thanks again in advance.

PS i was pretty faded so..... lol

·
Premium Member
89 CRX Si
1,041 Posts
Too much oil can cause problems (windage/turbulence around the crank, cavitation in the oil pump, etc.). A little bit extra (quarter to a half a quart) is not a problem, but much more than that and it could be.

I would drain it and refill it with the right amount of oil.

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you run any extra on your setup?

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Yea to much oil will cause problems the oil will start to whip from the pistons moving.
BUT your problem sounds more like blowby pushing the oil out. Unhook the can and check to make sure its not stopped up or anything clogging it. Then I would do a compression check to see if all is good motor wise.

·
Registered
CRX
104 Posts
Check and see what happens when you open the oil cap when the car is running if there is A LOT of pressure than you have a bigger issue than just to much oil

1 - 12 of 12 Posts