Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently acquired my 94 cx hatch with a d16z6 swap. I removed the cluster and replaced the check engine light that was removed probably to pass inspection. I received error codes for the Vtec and O2 Sensor. I wired the Vtec to the p28 myself and everything is running smooth, and the CEL is gone. My question now is before i go and buy a 60 dollar O2 sensor do i need to check and possibly wire the O2 sensor because of the swap or should the motor be plug and play for the single O2 sensor for the d16?

Also i have heard of some not even running an O2 sensor, the bad the good the ugly behind this?

Thanks ahead of time. :pinch:

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
the cx uses a single wire O2 sensor,wheres the z6 uses a 4 wire o2 sensor....if your using the cx engine harness you will have to wire in for a 4 wire o2 sensor...if your using a si/ex/dx engine harness it is all ready wired for the 4 wire o2 sensor.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, is there a way to identify the wire harness, Like by looking at were the O2 sensor is plugged into and if there is four wires running out success? If not more wiring should be done?

Thanks ahead of time [Eager to learn, clean slate as you can tell lol]

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
this is what the 4 wire o2 plug looks like...should be on the pass side of motor towards the front just under the top rad hose or in the back of the motor.....

[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went out to shut my hood as i took the car for a spin today and did a once over looking for oil leaks ect. Everything seems to be holding up nicely.

The O2 sensor that i see that i believe is the correct sensor is screwed into the exhaust manifold before the cat. The O2 has four wires running to the clip you posted above. The clip that runs to i am assuming the ECU also has four wires.

This could just be a faulty O2 sensor that needs to be replaced, but wanted to check and make sure wiring is alright.

This leads back to the 2nd question in the original post. What are the harms of not running with an O2 sensor in this case the d16z6 has only one so running with no O2 sensor.

Off of my common knowledge i feel like it would be bad? Reasoning because the O2 sensor reads the AFR. With out a properly working O2 sensor it would run to rich or to lean? Again i am still learning so i am unaware of the affects of not running an O2 sensor.

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
With out a properly working O2 sensor it would run to rich or to lean...the ones that run with out an o2 sensor have a wideband sensor...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you, but from my description does it seem to be in order?

"The O2 sensor that i see that i believe is the correct sensor is screwed into the exhaust manifold before the cat. The O2 has four wires running to the clip you posted above. The clip that runs to i am assuming the ECU also has four wires."

Again thanks ahead of time, and thanks for your time 2jzdreamin

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
Thank you, but from my description does it seem to be in order?

"The O2 sensor that i see that i believe is the correct sensor is screwed into the exhaust manifold before the cat. The O2 has four wires running to the clip you posted above. The clip that runs to i am assuming the ECU also has four wires."

Again thanks ahead of time, and thanks for your time 2jzdreamin
that right,if it is wired right or not i dont know.....is your check engine light on?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah it is currently throwing a error code 41, From descriptions i found its... "41 Primary oxygen sensor heater".

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
it could be a bad o2 o a bad connection in the wiring....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe i will try to find a place that can test my O2 sensor tell me if its bad or not. Before i go out and buy a 60 dollar part. Tight on money just trying to do everything right. If O2 is gone going to follow the wires.

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
can you post pics of how your o2 is wired?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I'll go snag some pictures right now.

Over view of O2 Sensor.

Close up of the O2 Sensor clip.

Close up of both sets of four wires.

Wires running to harness.

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
follow the wires from the o2 plug to the plugs on the pass side shock tower or where ever the wires are going to the ecu...post pics of that...looks to be a dx engine harness you have there.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you are correct and they run through the shock tower which i believe this is what your talking about i had these pics laying around already....

These are before i wired Vtec that is why those two wires were missing on that clip.

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
yup thats the shock tower plugs....its all factory set up so that tells me that it is a dx engine harness...do the wire on the other side of the shock tower plugs look the same?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yup thats the shock tower plugs....its all factory set up so that tells me that it is a dx engine harness...do the wire on the other side of the shock tower plugs look the same?
By the same do you mean colors and gauge i would have to go take a look! Feel like having a smoke right now anyways. I'm thinking if your right about the DX harness then the O2 is probably just SHOT! lol.

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
By the same do you mean colors and gauge i would have to go take a look! Feel like having a smoke right now anyways. I'm thinking if your right about the DX harness then the O2 is probably just SHOT! lol.
yea same color,looks like the factory did it not just some person who added in the wires...if the wires look factory my guess would be your o2 is bad......

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yea same color,looks like the factory did it not just some person who added in the wires...if the wires look factory my guess would be your o2 is bad......
Looks all factory too me nice and old and colors seem to match, i'll probably pick up a new 02 plug and pray lol. If the new O2 sensor does the same i will investigate further.

Thanks for your time today for helping me out! After i wired the VTEC i had to make this thread to see if there was controversy with the swap if it was indeed a stock harness.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts