Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I guess my HG is going. So I have some questions.

1) How long should it take to replace?

2) Honda Gasket vs Is there a better aftermarket?

3) Should I look for a different model head? What one?

Thanks Guys
Shawn

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Well, seeing that you asked you probably have no experience doing such a thing. So 5-6 hours by yourself. And that's with the correct tools.

Honda OEM Y8 (cheaper than the Z6, but the same) or Fel Pro or Cometic or Greddy or an all Copper HG (hard to find, but worth it!)

The Z6 head is the best one to have really.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
I can do mine in like 20 min lol
proof or gtfo

it should take anywhere from 2 to 3 hours. why? cause if your replacing it cause it went bad (overheating or incorrect tq), you need to check deck (block and head) straightness. this alone can take up to 30 mins. cleaning and drying the stud holes will also take 20 mins alone.

get a honda HG or felpro. cometic if your feeling like being a baller, cause its just a name.

z6/y7/y8 are swappable gaskets. the y7/y8 superseeds (at honda. felpro bunches the z6, y7, and y8 together) the z6 and the a6 gasket.

edit: its highly recommended that you check for straightness ANY time your replace a HG, REGUARDLESS of why your removing the HG. but its definatly a must it the HG pops due to overheating.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmmm Maybe I should look for a another Z6 head and get rebuild it first. Make sure that it's straight and the valve seat well. Then do the same to my head and sell it.

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
proof or gtfo

it should take anywhere from 2 to 3 hours. why? cause if your replacing it cause it went bad (overheating or incorrect tq), you need to check deck (block and head) straightness. this alone can take up to 30 mins. cleaning and drying the stud holes will also take 20 mins alone.

get a honda HG or felpro. cometic if your feeling like being a baller, cause its just a name.

z6/y7/y8 are swappable gaskets. the y7/y8 superseeds (at honda. felpro bunches the z6, y7, and y8 together) the z6 and the a6 gasket.

edit: its highly recommended that you check for straightness ANY time your replace a HG, REGUARDLESS of why your removing the HG. but its definatly a must it the HG pops due to overheating.
i laughed when he said 20min too

·
wheres my money man!!
11,333 Posts
on my car ya
open rad drain,unbolt header let fall, disconnect wiring and hoses on intake mani, remove air inrtake, remove vc, set to TDC, slide belt off, remove head bolts,remove head,dizzy and intake as one unit, remove mls hg, wipe deck clean of oil and anti, put on new hg put head and put bolts in, then vc ,add wiring and hoses,put belt on, bolt header on, attached rad hose fill with coolent

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
on my car ya
open rad drain,unbolt header let fall, disconnect wiring and hoses on intake mani, remove air inrtake, remove vc, set to TDC, slide belt off, remove head bolts,remove head,dizzy and intake as one unit, remove mls hg, wipe deck clean of oil and anti, put on new hg put head and put bolts in, then vc ,add wiring and hoses,put belt on, bolt header on, attached rad hose fill with coolent
umm we now how, but 20 min..??? nah

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
on my car ya
....remove mls hg, wipe deck clean of oil and anti, put on new hg...
and you skipped two important steps. both which i have already stated. probably why you have done it a few times.

just because you dont think it cant be done doesnt mean it couldnt be. iv been workinh on Hondas over 10 years.
:clap:

good for you and gives even less weight to your arguement since you have been "working on hondas for over 10 years", but yet fail to correctly remove and replace a HG. congrats on that. i'll leave you alone now, since its probably obvious to anyone reading this thread that your full of it.

btw: been in the game since i was 9, i am now 25. i think i have you beat :yes:. but time working on cars/hondas equals nothing if you can't do it right ;).

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Well thats cool man your 25 Im happy for ya. Im not here to get in a pissing contest with you.If ya dont wanna believe me thats cool I know what i can do and you know what you can do.
you missed the point of that addition. that statement was suppose to draw your attention to the comment. the part about doing it correctly being greater then overall experiance. sadly, experiance makes people think they can skip steps. i have found in my time, that the best mechanics often take too much time working. cause they go over everything with a fine tooth comb followed by a toothbrush.

i have a comment for your "pissing contest", but there is no need for it.

·
wheres my money man!!
11,333 Posts
Ok thats cool man I know what you are refering to and if you choose to do that thats is +1 for you I dont work in a shop nor do I plan on to. I work on my car the way I feel is the best and never had a hg failure only time i do is when i purchase a motor or another car then it goes out. I have rebuilt plenty of motors from scratch and trannys, done countless hg for friends and ect, motor swaps, and you know how many have came back?? Zero. Like I said just because someone skips steps or what ever dont try and be a ASE mechainc and prove your cool on the internet. refer to my pic above.

I was simply staing to the OP if he needs help I can call him and assit him, ask around I have called 3 or 4 members on here cause the shit is messed up. Not once has anyone said I dont know what Im doing. O and another thing we all learn a thing a two working on cars, your still kinda young and Im sure we will still learn things in ther future. Im done posting in this thread cause it is pointless to argue with you when I know what i do works just fine. Its like saying corn is better the carrots. Ill do what i want to and you keep on doing what ya want.Happy motoring :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts