Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
So I have a d16a block and z6 head that I'm putting in my ef hatch. Car is an 89. The motor that I bought actually came out of a crx so the engine harness is hacked up to make it work in an obd0 car.
My plan is to use that harness. The dpfi to mpfi is what's getting me. All the write ups show just swapping the intake mani. I will follow the injector wires and see where they go. But what will I need to do to on the car side, since the engine harness should already be done? I will be running a p28 on z6 base map until I piece my turbo kit together.

I have the motor dropped in but will probably lift it back up to access the wiring easier.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I believe there is a dpfi to mpfi write up on here. Also there was a member a few years ago that would make the dpfi harness to mpfi and gave very detailed instructions on what wires to put into my chassis harness. I am not sure if he is still do that or not.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I believe there is a dpfi to mpfi write up on here. Also there was a member a few years ago that would make the dpfi harness to mpfi and gave very detailed instructions on what wires to put into my chassis harness. I am not sure if he is still do that or not.
Yes I've read a few but I'm trying to sort through it all and just take the info I need to do the wiring on the car side. I'm not sure that I'd need to do anything to my ecu since it is already a p28.

why cant you use your car's harness
I thought about that. And just use the engine harness for parts. It'd be easier to understand if i made my own custom harness rather than trying to understand someone elses. It's like putting something together that someone else took apart.

And also, the engine harness has a lot of extra wires not being used. Can't I just cut the plugs of and solder them to the cars engine harness? That would make it an obd0 harness with the necessary obd1 plugs.

I've got these wires coming off the fuel injectors (first pic) and 2 that aren't connected to anything. The other 6 go to the plug in the second pic which is on the passenger side firewall.
Would the 2 that aren't hooked to anything go straight to the ecu?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I guess I am not understanding what you mean by wiring on the car side? Are you referring to wiring up the ecu connector?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I guess I am not understanding what you mean by wiring on the car side? Are you referring to wiring up the ecu connector?
Yes from the ecu to the engine bay. Today I will unwrap the whole engine harness so I can get a good look at all the wires with the motor in the air. I also need to fix the po's hack job since most of the wires are just twisted together. I've read so many write ups on the conversion that I'm trying to piece together what information I need. I do notice that 6 of the 8 injector wires are running straight to the plug and not a resistor box. Since this came out of a crx I don't quite understand that.

And also, this harness doesn't even have the plug that goes into this plug on the driver side. It only has the 2 on the passenger side

found it

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Also, the guy I got the motor from said it was in a crx, but these wires coming off the injectors go to that plug that is cut off, not to a resistor box.

These are stock injectors aren't they?
EDIT: Did some research and found out I don't need a resistor box since I'm using z6 injectors and not ef si injectors.

Also, 3rd pic, why are there 2 wires connected to one? I need to do more research haha

Attachments

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,832 Posts
obd1 and obd0 injectors look the same and plug into the same harness, you can measure the resistance of them to determine which injectors are on it, obd1 doesn't use a resistor box.

Good god I would throat punch someone if my wires looked like that. I hope this is just a test hit to see if it will run? Don't leave the car with those cheap butt connectors on there.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
obd1 and obd0 injectors look the same and plug into the same harness, you can measure the resistance of them to determine which injectors are on it, obd1 doesn't use a resistor box.

Good god I would throat punch someone if my wires looked like that. I hope this is just a test hit to see if it will run? Don't leave the car with those cheap butt connectors on there.
Yes, since I have yet to hear the motor, I want to be able to start it up, do a compression test to see if it's healthy enough for boost, etc. I won't even start it with the wires like that. I'm going to solder and heatshrink them all once I figure out what goes where.

The car should have 3 main plugs right? 2 on the passenger side strut tower and one on the driver side? I read somewhere a guy said he had 2 total.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
obd1 had a throttle body mounted MAP and obd0 had it mounted to the firewall with a vacuum line going to a port off the top of the TB.
Right, but my car still has the one on the firewall, which I'll remove. I'm just wondering why someone would've wired that clip there. And what that other black sensor is. (The wiring harness came with the motor and is a little hacked up.)
I was about to extend the 3 wires on my firewall when I saw that plug just hanging out there. It won't even reach the map sensor and it hooked to the wires for that little black sensor

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looking closer it looks like you have wires coming directly off the TPS with no connector?

The MAP wires should have come along the firewall. That maybe a TPS wire there.
Oh ok that little black one is the tps. I just need to figure out which connector each wire is meant to run to

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
obd1 had a throttle body mounted MAP and obd0 had it mounted to the firewall with a vacuum line going to a port off the top of the TB.
Not all OBD-1 TB's had the map on the TB, 92-93 DX for example.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ya I have no idea what that map sensor pu is finn hanging out there but I'm pretty much rewiring everything to make it neater. I'll have to cut my driver side strut tower plug off my dx harness since this harness doesn't have it.
Next obstacle is the injector wiring.

·
Registered
88' honda civic
467 Posts
Holy lord that sounds like you have opened a HUGE can of worms. Let me do some digging and find the info i used when i did my z6 mini me (with a p28 ). I know for a fact I did NOT use a injector resistor. As a matter of fact I went the expensive route and bough the exact wire engine bay harness for the z6 and used all the plugs and wires i needed. Do you have the OBD0 to OBD1 jumper for ecu?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Holy lord that sounds like you have opened a HUGE can of worms. Let me do some digging and find the info i used when i did my z6 mini me (with a p2
. I know for a fact I did NOT use a injector resistor. As a matter of fact I went the expensive route and bough the exact wire engine bay harness for the z6 and used all the plugs and wires i needed. Do you have the OBD0 to OBD1 jumper for ecu?
No but I'm going to order the jumper soon. I'm trying to avoid ordering the jumper that includes the dp-mpfi conversion wires. But it may be simpler, if I can find it anywhere for less than $150

1 - 20 of 27 Posts