Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
EG hatch x2
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a road race engine and I would like the comfort of having a knock sensor, even if it is more of a pain in the ass. Other than using a D16y8 block, anyone know of a relatively non welding way to use one on a D16Z6?? (I already have 1 complete engine and 1 in parts) Main question is what is the THREAD size of say the GSR knock sensors? (Not wrench size). Like M12-1.50? I don't have an example block or I would measure myself. I was thinking about maybe filling the "spare" bung and tapping that. Not sure if that would work however.

Or am I just looking at using the Z6 ecu and tuning it as is? The idea is that if I get bad fuel, or the engine runs in a part of the map due to a failed sensor or wire, it doesn't eat itself detonating. This may be wishful thinking, but I like it when my engines last at least a season. lol.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
Honestly build a det can and listen for it yourself. The sensor will hear a lot of mechanical noise and try to adjust for it. Your ears won't lie to you though, and they are pretty easy to build. You can do a electric or make your own ear muffs.

Knock Muffs:
Detonation det cans | How to knock Muffs

Electric:
Another Electronic Det Can Example - Miata Turbo Forum -Boost cars, acquire cats.

http://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-forum/95756-diy-electronic-detonation-detection-det-cans-under-25-dollars.html

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
Those are not practical solutions for wearing a helmet and while being out on track in the "thick of it".

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
You can just wire the electrical one to the stereo if you still have one and use your aux input.

If you want to tune with a knock sensor use a GSR OBD1 computer IIRC it's a P72 and it has a board for a knock sensor already.

Another option:

KnockLite by Turbo XS

·
Registered
EG hatch x2
11 Posts
Honestly build a det can and listen for it yourself.
I already have the tuning part down. Like I said, things like high temps, and outside factors can induce knock 4 hours into a race when the engine is heat soaked. Listening with a helmet on diving in and out of traffic isn't practical. The ecu is all good, but figuring out where to mount the knock sensor on a D16Z6 block that doesn't come with a knock sensor is the problem I am attempting to solve. The D16y8 has one, but people say that it has inferior oiling system which I am not a fan of.

Those are not practical solutions for wearing a helmet and while being out on track in the "thick of it".
Not a snowballs chance in hell lol.

If you want to tune with a knock sensor use a GSR OBD1 computer IIRC it's a P72 and it has a board for a knock sensor already.
That's the plan my man.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,097 Posts
can you tap that spare hole next to the oil pressure sender?

·
Registered
EG hatch x2
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking about that, but I would need to know what the diameter of the threads for the knock sensor are... Anyone happen to have a knock sensor handy to measure?

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
can you tap that spare hole next to the oil pressure sender?
I drilled and tapped that hole for a water temperature idiot light that was added to the cluster.

What about one of the holes for the jackshaft (obviously not in the picture because that's not a Z6 block)?

·
Registered
504 Posts
This is pointless. There no obd1 factory honda ecu that can measure knock accurately. The knock board in a p30 and p72 are pretty much useless. They are so slow by the time it detects knock it is too late. If you want accurate knock detection, spend 3k on a motec setup or do as these guys say, wire an electric one into a speaker in your car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts