Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone! i posted earlier about wiring issue that is now solved, but i have a d16z6 with a JRSC, has the 3.4 snout pulley, i shimmed the snout 3/8ths of an inch after blowing my belt on the weekend, my question is does it appear to anyone that the alternator seems to be misaligned too ??? i've been searching but haven't came up with much of anything besides for the Y8 setups having issues. what happened to mine was my belt walked over towards the jrsc so i kept moving it back in alignment but then all of a sudden after putting on about 100 km on that belt that it literally exploded, looked like spagehitti after exploding, also quick history i found this car as a write off but salvagable title so purchased it just solely for the power train and swapped into mine after many hours of beating my head and many packs of cigerettes last weekend swapping it, compression was up to par on the motor and everything checked out no play of any sort in the jrsc so i went ahead to swap into my 92 4 dr. my car has front rear strut bars, 2.5 inch exhaust and P.I.C. coil overs and megan racing rear lowers and camber and toe adjustments and skunk 2 front upper control arms, so thats my ride and my questions if anyone can help

·
Meat Popsicle
2,920 Posts
Stock crank pulley?

Did you use the JRSC lower alternator bracket? (the one that bolts to the back of the block w 2 bolts)

JRSC blower pulley? (does it have the holder on the back?)

Shimming the blower pulley isn't the best idea but 3/8" is close to the right amount of offset

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that i know of its the stock jrsc pulley, i bought the power train with everything and how it looked before i put motor in appeared to be quite a bit out of alignment closer to the jrsc its self, and ya i'm assuming it was purchased as a kit and installed as a kit but i can't verify any of that because the cars has passed a couple of hands before me and the only bolts i could see is about mid way up where the alternator used to bolt to for one of the bolts and there could be a lower one but i haven't seen it maybe due to the lower idler pulley, i'm trying to get this back together today because if this doesnt work i have to swap my b7 intake back on for the mean time because i have a grad i have to be at tomorrow afternoon rain or shine kind of thing but as far as the 3/8s the pulley looked about that out from the crank and alternator pulleys, like it sat about middle rib was in line with the edge of the crank pulley but the alternator looks like it was off a rib or 2 too!

·
Meat Popsicle
2,920 Posts
Dude...punctuation. Hard as hell to read your posts

Take a picture of the crank pulley and blower pulley as they are now.

For a Z6 you need:

Stock crank pulley
Stock alternator lower bracket
A blower pulley that's spaced like the one on the left:

OR

A pulley that's spaced like the one on the right:
JRSC lower alternator bracket
JRSC crank pulley

The top combination is ideal, the lower combo might rub on your timing belt cover

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey! atm i can't snag any pictures the jrsc is off the car and the motors still installed, the jrsc pulley measured in at 3.375 inch with the tape measure and the crank pulley is the stocker from what i could tell when i last looked at it, and the pulley on the jrsc is currently the left sided one with the larger offset, i'm going to wait until it cools down a bit through the days before i rip it all out again because out weather has been nothing but ridiculousy hot the last week or so! also how do i post pictures up as well???

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well I'm bringing back the dead here... so now it's spring here and back to the honda i go. my shim as i pulled the sc off after this incident the way i shimmed it was a complete waste a time now that i have a proper machine bushing i'm going to try that, just received 2 bando belts as well.

to start this whole escapade on a new level i picked up a y8 4 rib crank pulley for a couple more pounds of boost and porting the m45 this weekend. hope in a week or two i'll have the spare cash to order a hondata intake gasket, and also redoing the shim. And too I Think i have the belt that tore apart like no ones business. are you still around Patrick? i've read quite a few posts from you and hopefully you can help me out if i need more after this point

·
Meat Popsicle
2,920 Posts
German, create your own thread if you have questions. This is the second thread you've jacked with your own questions.

The upgraded JRSC crank will only work with Y7/Y8 pulley configurations and I can pretty much guarantee that you won't be able to find one. They are very rare and in my 4 years here I've only seen 1 (which I bought)

·
Registered
495 Posts
How is the belt tensioned? How much tension in the belt? If a pulley(s) is damaged or not on the same plane as the others the belt will always fall apart. When the belt is off do all of the driven pulleys spin freely?

Go find a camera and snap some photos!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey prelude i trust your words of wisdom and a few others on here from the information i've read from you guys, recap my pulley is apparently correct for the z6 as the picture you posted above its the exact same, but i'm also wondering from things i've read in the past month and will check to reference photos I have found that could it be a y8 kit? as the intakes are offset differently? also is it common for the sc belt to rub on the lower timing belt cover?

as shimming i know isn't the best solution but really don't want to fork out $140+ cdn to get a pulley as if my buddy gets the free time i can get one made any size for free with what ever offset but i just don't want to wait all summer to get one then have winter come and get it you know?

Hey Gus, pictures would be helpful for me to snap but problem atm is nothing is in the car yet waiting for the couple of extra bucks to order a Hondata intake manifold gasket before i reinstall

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey i found some 1g dsm injectors but they are 390cc, i hear the dsm 450 blue top are complete over kill on this setup? if my pulley combo puts me around 9ish psi maybe less on a gauge due to 2.5 inch exhaust would these be enough to support upto 9ish maybe 10psi at very most

·
Meat Popsicle
2,920 Posts
Sorry I didn't reply to your other post. Meant to but I guess I forgot.

The main differences between the A6/Z6 and Y7/Y8 kits that affect belt alignment are:

-Blower pulley
-Crank pulley
-Lower alternator bracket

The blower mounts the same regardless of what you're bolting it to. The manifold isn't offset

If you have a 3 rib blower pulley with a built in "nut" on the back, it's from a Y7/Y8 kit and you need the lower alternator JRSC modified lower alternator bracket and JRSC crank pulley for it to work.

If you have a 4-rib blower pulley with the built in "nut" on the back, it's from a A6/Z6 kit and you can use your stock bracket and crank pulley.

DSM 450cc injectors are overkill for the stock kit, yes, but they're also the most commonly used for this setup. 390cc *should* work fine AFAIK but I'm no tuning expert

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i have the 4 rib as i mentioned before the same one you posted last summer as a comparison, the only bracket i have is the one with the 2 idler pulleys that relocate the alternator and my crank pulley is a 4 rib as well and only things i can see that have been changed are the idler pulleys were shimmed with washers, now mine appears to be offset same as y8 kit on a z6 motor but yet i have the 4 ribbed sc pulley and everything else is as well 4 ribbed but when i had the motor out it was clear to see it was out roughly the half or just under half the sc pulley width when i eye balled it before swapping the power train into mine ... that's why i'm going to shim the so it seems common 3/8ths of an inch

wish i was still living where i was before and still had the my engine lift but i moved and had to sell bulky tools like that i had a few pictures but can't seem to find them of the alternator brakcet setup the sc close up on motor as well as different angles or i would drop the motor and take pictures of everything again

and injectors i figure i should upgrade as i want to up the boost when i figure out the belt alignment issues and oh ya as follows if you eye ball crank and alternator the sc is out, if you eye ball the sc to crank the alternator is out, ideally which i didn't do was i should have used a straight edge and string over one rib on the pulleys to see what is sitting where

·
Meat Popsicle
2,920 Posts
Excuse my ignorance but what makes HiProfile injectors better than DSMs? I realize that they're old but they're also cheap and have been proven to be pretty reliable.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hey patrick, i just found one of your replies about a guy and his zc and discussion about the modded alternator bracket, is there a part number stamped onto the jrsc bracket that differs from the stocker bracket? and the pulley on the left in your image from last summer is the z6 you stated but now saying it's a y8 ??

so my question really is as i'm googling this information as well but if it is a z6 pulley but if i have a y8 alternator bracket i would have the same result as alternator would be out of place instead of the sc pulley?

i'm trying to get a hold of my buddy where the sc is at to take a picture of the puley but he works on call out of town so it's a pia to get the picture i need and is there any differences in the way the idler pulley bracket is made for the alternator? i have the bracket at my place and can take a picture if it'll help identify anything

1 - 20 of 36 Posts