Honda D Series Forum banner

D16z6 Issues

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  mattliston 
#1 ·
Hello everyone I am new to this forum and have within the last year bought a 93 Civic SI with a d16z6. I have been having a couple things that have been kind of weird with this car since I bought it. The first thing is it has always been a little sluggish under 2500 rpm and that is me comparing it to the d15b7 I used to have. It has always smelled like fuel and leaves black soot on my tail pipe. It came with an aftermarket header and the o2 sensor is only reading from one cylinder could that be the issue I can relocate it to where it reads from all 4. its got newer wires and plugs within the past 6 months. Recently I drove it through a huge rainstorm and hit large puddles and during that it was stuttering really bad but the next day was mostly okay, but now it randomly does that under acceleration, which I thought may be cap and rotor got water in it because of where it sits... Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

#11 ·
THese cars dont care if its only one cylinder or all 4 sampled.

regarding the fuel issue, one method I use to try and clean out shitty fuel injectors is a full bottle of Chemtool B12. it is a fuel system cleaner.

I still laught at how the parts guy described it. the small bottle of injector cleaner is like a beer. the Chemtool is the liquor. lol.

Run the FULL bottle on a 1/4 or half tank.

This will help you clean out the bottom of the fuel tank, help clean the fuel pump and its sock filter, loosens garbage caught in the underhood fuel filter, and should unstick any injectors that are open longer than the ecu tells them too.

This will at least remove any clogs and debris, so you can focus back on ignition ssues if still present.

I find this a cheap and worthwhile method. IF it doesnt sovle your problems, at least you just cleaned your fuel system really good. AFTERWARDS, I highly suggest a new underhood fuel filter, even if you just did it. the crap that comes loose just comes up and clogs it anyways.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.