Honda D Series Forum banner

d16z6 into a 99 ex civic

14K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Angry 
#1 ·
how hard would it be to get this to work? or could any1 tell me what i would have to buy, i already have the motor layin in the basement.

#2 ·
dont hack up your harness!!! buy an obd2 alternator as well as obd2 injectors, everything else pretty much just bolts on and remember to convert to obd1 and run p28 maps

#3 ·
depending on where you live, you will have smog issues, at least in cali, motor must be of same year or newer, and you must have all emissions equipment and ecu for motor....

#5 ·
I'm assuming the original y8 blew up or something, or else why would you put a 125hp engine where a 129hp engine is, unless of course you're planning on building the z6 up and going obd1 for tuning reasons...

#12 ·
a z6 block is identical to a y8 block, if they got you on that technicality that would be some real bs. As long as you run the y8 head with all the obd2 sensors and ob2 ecu you should be okay, hell most smog shops here in cali will 'not see' some things under the hood as long as you pass the emissions part of the test...

#18 · (Edited)
True that. As long as the OBD2 is intact. SHould be good here. OP is talking about a full swap Electronics and all. Here if the scan is good. That's it. If not you get to crying then they send you to the ref. He will whistle foul. That's why I agree with you. Check local regs and do what is the least painful.

#13 ·
holy crap all these posts and nobody answers his questions... on the dizzy if you want it quick and easy, rywire makes a plug adaptor that takes the one plug on the engine harness and connects it to the two plug dizzy. its like 35 bucks but no cutting and splicing. on my obd1 engine i used the obd2 alternator that was originally on my y7, swapped the drivers side engine mount over, and for the most part if the car is still wired for vtec you are good to go.

#14 ·
yea rywire or you can do this

the wiring on the main big plug is the SAME, your y8 plug will have 8 wires and the obd1 will have 7 on the big one and 2 on the small plug.

there are 2 wires on the small plug

the blue wire just cut and remove, the second black/yellow wire splice it inot the black/yellow wire on the obd2 plug and your done :)

#15 · (Edited)
im doing the same swap as you...

to simplify the things , you need a OBD2b engine harness from a vtec engine with vtec pressure switch plug (green one)or run a new one , buy an obd2 alternator , injectors and dizzy ...convertion harness obd2 to obd1 also and of course a P28 ecu....

you need to run new wires to lambda sensor (if yours is a 1 wire one) ...

you need to use your ex engine mount from the driver side....

i think is all ...then is a pretty direct swap

about emissions ..if you have a KAT , use it and you dont have any problem

#16 ·
didn't really want to encourage him to do it if it was going to cause a bigger headache down the road come smog time, but I don't know about VA smog regs, so good luck, hope it turns out good:TU:

#19 ·
Good info in here but so much rambling...

Only the northern parts of VA (that I know of) have smog checks, and there wouldnt be THAT strict.
We did this same same in a buddies 99DX (with EX engine harness).
Get the rywire obd2-obd1 Distributer adapter as said, and the OBD2b-obd1 ECU harness, and run a P28. (and yes use a z6 dizzy, no other will fit) This eliminates the secondary o2 sensor and knock sensor. You cant stay OBD2b unless you drill and tap the z6 block for the knock, and I say get rid of the stupid secondary o2. People keep saying to not use the z6 engine block mount. (The cast peice) We used the one on the z6 block just fine with the metal double "L" single bolt hole piece from the y7, on the drivers side just fine.

The EX engine harness plugs up to everything, you will have plugs left over from the crank mounted crank sensor, knock and the secondary o2 sensor if you remove it, but thats on the chassis harness underneath the car after the cat.

We also however used a complete y8 intake/injectors and all on the z6, didnt feel like swapping the injectors or injector plugs for the z6 intake manifold.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.