Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello good people. Been searching so much info on this and can’t get it going. Here we go...

bought a D16z6 block in great condition from a friend to put into my daughters auto 2000 EX due to the y8 taking a dump. Anyhoo so I switched the IM along with injectors from the y8 over to the z6. Also switched over the oil pump over to the z6 from the y8 to keep the CPS.Kept the distributor housing from the z6 but put all the internals from the y8 distributor. So pretty much justused the bare block of z6 and everything else is y8 to try and keep it obd2b withits p2p ecu. Problem is...it’a starting with a nasty misfiring idle then just shuts off, then try again and no start. Same cycle of starting on and off with nasty shaky misfiring. Only one code is being thrown which is the knock sensor. We have complete spark going. Getting fuel aswell. Tested all the parts from the dizzy, changed out to some spare obd2 injectors I had here, I’ve checked the timing on crank pulley/cam gear over and over. Compression numbers are 125-130 across the board. I’ve gone to the extent of waking up the neighborhood one morning disconnecting the header from Cat thinking it might be clogged haha. I also tried to by pass the CPS. Could it still be a timing issue? I think I remember seeing somewhere that the timing marks on their crank pulleys are off by a few degrees? Any ideas and help would be awesome thank you.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,292 Posts
time it like a z6. if you just swapped it over without cracking it open, it shoulda been timed already

·
Registered
00 EJ6 boosted D16Z6, 99 EJ6 bone stock, 04 Ram 1500
1,099 Posts
I just noticed I used the y8 crank pulley and still has the z6 cam gear. Is there a difference?
yes, obd2 crank pulleys are marked for the timing difference. If you have an adjustable timing light, you can set if for ~18* and trigger off tdc.
btw, i have a d16z6 in my 2000 dx, welcome to the 'club'!

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,701 Posts
Are you 100% positive your spark plug wires are in the correct place on the distributor cap? What about your injector harness connectors, are they on the right injectors?

I've done both before, and it wont be the last lol :) Getting firing order and plug wires mixed up can give nasty backfires. The engine will run on two cylinders, so simply crossing 2 wires will give you your symptoms you describe.

Turn the engine to TDC compression #1, then pull the dist cap off and see which cap post the rotor is pointing at. That's where #1 plug wire should go. Then follow firing order of the engine (1-3-4-2), moving to the next post in a clockwise direction. That is cyl #3, so #3 plug wire goes to that post.

And so on and so forth.

Cylinder positions are in order, #1 is closest to the timing belt, #4 is closest to the flywheel. Fill in the blanks to locate #2 and 3 lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
yes, obd2 crank pulleys are marked for the timing difference. If you have an adjustable timing light, you can set if for ~18* and trigger off tdc.
btw, i have a d16z6 in my 2000 dx, welcome to the 'club'!
Nice! Did you use everything z6? Or just the long block aswell? I’m running the y8 IM. Plugged up the air injection holes but still don’t know what IM gasket to go with. Z6 or 96-98 y8 gasket?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you 100% positive your spark plug wires are in the correct place on the distributor cap? What about your injector harness connectors, are they on the right injectors?

I've done both before, and it wont be the last lol :) Getting firing order and plug wires mixed up can give nasty backfires. The engine will run on two cylinders, so simply crossing 2 wires will give you your symptoms you describe.

Turn the engine to TDC compression #1, then pull the dist cap off and see which cap post the rotor is pointing at. That's where #1 plug wire should go. Then follow firing order of the engine (1-3-4-2), moving to the next post in a clockwise direction. That is cyl #3, so #3 plug wire goes to that post.

And so on and so forth.

Cylinder positions are in order, #1 is closest to the timing belt, #4 is closest to the flywheel. Fill in the blanks to locate #2 and 3 lol.
Oh yes definitely those were all my first steps in trouble shooting.

·
Registered
00 EJ6 boosted D16Z6, 99 EJ6 bone stock, 04 Ram 1500
1,099 Posts
Nice! Did you use everything z6? Or just the long block aswell? I’m running the y8 IM. Plugged up the air injection holes but still don’t know what IM gasket to go with. Z6 or 96-98 y8 gasket?
regarding the y8 throttle body IACV, the ones from auto trans were not compatible with OBD1 ecus, you need to use one from a manual equipped EX.
only 99-00 (OBD2b) y8 intakes had the 'air' valves. I used all the d16z6 intake, cam gear, crank pulley, etc.

just re-read your post, a y7 short block would have been a direct replacement, obd1 blocks don't have place for the useless knock sensor.
in most states, swapping in an engine from an earlier generation won't pass any kind of emissions testing.

Reactions: slo_eg8
1 - 10 of 10 Posts