Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Currently have a d16z6 and looking at relocating my IAT sensor as i find it struggles quite a lot with heat soak.

I am running stainless steel charge piping and wanted to know the best option. Will installing a stainless AIT flange cause more problems due to its size and soaking up heat itself ?

Is there another type of IAT sensor i can used that is scaled the same - in which can be more drilled and tapped into place? rather then welding on a flange?

Also are there any DIY's available in regards to de-skinning the IAT sensor to improve the response time etc?

Cheers :)

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes but I'm saying - if i want to go away from my flange IAT sensor to another honda IAT sensor that was threaded is there an interchangeable part that is scaled the same?

Lyle

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
Yep get a B20 iat (it's screw in type) and look for a stainless nut that you can weld on easily, can't remember but I think it's m10x1.25

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess he main thing is I have stainless charge pipeing - if I use a stainless iat flange I'm not sure if this will heat soak a lot ? Hence why possibly going to the b20 iat threaded sensor ?

Thoughts ?

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
I guess he main thing is I have stainless charge pipeing - if I use a stainless iat flange I'm not sure if this will heat soak a lot ? Hence why possibly going to the b20 iat threaded sensor ?

Thoughts ?
Heat soak comes from the intake being attach to the head. The head build up alot of heat and transfer this to the intake manifold.

By the time the heat moves towards the intake it is colder. Since it has incoming air cooling its farther away from the head.
Same as the exhaust system. The closer to the head you are the hotter it is. You can start your car and a few min later your unable to touch the header, but you can touch the muffler at any time.

So yea a long as its mounted in the intake it will be fine.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
my 97's IAT is dangling in the wind.

Drill a hole, use a rubebr grommet, slap it into the piping right before the throttlebody

Lots of ways to solve it.

honda IAT is NOT high resolution or fast acting. Not really worth the trouble. You can tune a temp offset in most software

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
my 97's IAT is dangling in the wind.

Drill a hole, use a rubebr grommet, slap it into the piping right before the throttlebody

Lots of ways to solve it.

honda IAT is NOT high resolution or fast acting. Not really worth the trouble. You can tune a temp offset in most software
You will have a boost leak or blow the sensor out if you use a grommet like oem. You could also install a thermal intake gasket like the golden eagle to help the intake not heat soak

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
put it in the charge piping away from the head, the issue is that the head heats up the large intake manifold which retains heat, and alot of it in fact. where as your thin charge piping will give a more accurate inlet temp as it doesnt hold heat as well as the manifold does.

You can either run with a b20 screw in style or buy a small piece of stainless flat stock, 1/4 thick tap for two holes and drill a hole for the sensor tip and weld it on your charge piping.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts