Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
93 dx hatch
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guy my names Wayne and just wanted to ask your guys opinion on my z6 build up while im not going to get hardcore specific on everything im going to try to give a pretty good run down of it so please share you opinions and and info is always welcome :D

ok so after pricing out Bseries swapos and noticing the incredibly low HP to Tq ratio of them i have decided that a B swap isnt where id like to go i mean for aprox. 3grand for a LSD b16 with mounts axels and all the little goodies I would personaly invest with a B swap i feel i could make my Z6 faster and Less ceceptive to destruction so after careful thought and gathering information over the past 8ish months this is what ive came up with :D

Tubonetics Turbo T3/T4 S-H S2 .63

Darton Sleeves(closed deck)
Eagle H beams
Wiseco 9:1 or 8.5:1 pistons .020 over
Polished Crank
Crower Stage 2 turbo camshaft
AEM cam gear(tuning perposes plus it was free)
Ferrea Valves,Springs,Retainers
Minor To Mild Port and polish head Port matched to Turbo and Intake Manifold
Skunk2 Intake manifold and 62mm throttle body(or which ever was port matched)
2.5 inch intercooler piping
Equal length "Ramnhorn" style manifold
turbonetics Evolution 38mm wastegate
either 2.5 or 3 inch turbo back exhaust with n1 styled muffler
500hp Rated axles
Crome chipped p28 or hondata s300 if cash flow is willing at the time
All OEM bearings and Gaskets
Oil Cooler of some kind
Koyo or Fluidine Radator with cooler therostat

ok so now for my questions which have probably been covered a million times and im sorry for asking again.

As far as my transsmission goes about how much power can a 92-95 ex/si sohc tranny handle? and what are some things i could do to stregthen it?

injectors is another im kinda clueless on im nowhere near sure as to what CC i need im aiming for around 325-375whp

will the stock oil and water pumps handle this kind of load? and if not how would i go about upgrading them? like i know u can buy higher flow ones but is their a way to modify the stockers to handle this?

ignition im kinda like "duuuuurrr" on ive heard stock ignition will handle this decently but i dont want just decently i want pretty good so info on upgrading that would be great aswell

and other than that any advice or forsight or information is deffanatly aprreacaited so please feel free to enlighten me :D

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I'll try and help further this dream build.

Transmission - Your clutch will slip before the trans breaks (hopefully) so you'll need a new clutch, pressure plate and flywheel. While we're talking about trans, what about an LSD? You'll need it to put all that power to the ground. Have Transzex install an OBX one for you.

Injectors - a good way to size injectors is using this formula.
(injector size / 5 ) * # of cylinders = estimated hp

For your goal of 350-375 hp it'll take some 600cc injectors or larger.

600/5*4=480 80% duty cycle of 480 is 384

Oil and water pumps are fine, replace them both at the time of rebuild with OEM

Stock distributor is fine but you might want to upgrade to an MSD coil and some colder spark plugs.

You'll also need a bigger fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, tap your oil pan for turbo oil return, proly a bunch of odds and ends I'm forgetting...

·
1.8 nawz powa
6,579 Posts
Sounds like you know what your doing, but just stick with the basics and youll be fine. Make sure and prime the turbo and everything too. Stock D blocks can take around 8psi and Ive seen 350hp happen with just stock blocks with crazy boost. Have fun with the build, Im in one myself.

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
the weak link in your build will be your head gasket..............And there is really nothing you can do to change that. Everything else looks good, you seem to have the right idea about it.

Just be sure to get a good tune to make the build worthwhile.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I would suggest ARP headstuds/bolts and a cometic headgasket. Head lift can occur with that amount of power.

I haven't heard of any Honda tranny breaking, ever, so I think you're safe there. You could have the gears shotpeened or cryogenically treated I suppose if it lays your mind to rest, but I wouldn't worry. :)

·
Registered
93 dx hatch
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol thanx guys and yes i was going to have a quaife LSD installed and cryo treating and shut peening was an idea(nissan problem solver the only reason i knew about it) ARP head studs deffanetly in the build just forgot to mention them as far as replacing the pumps with new i once again planed on that aswell :D so im glad to hear ever thing seems to be in order and than you so much for all the help and stuff guys im just glad im not the only D series lover out there :D

·
Registered
93 dx hatch
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
also yes i know about the basic of tapping the oil pan and the oil feed line my car was previously powered by a z6 with the greddy kit but sold the kit to make some funds for more needed items and to buy the z6 long block that going to begin construction very soon im thinking around 15-20psi will be plenty to acheive my goals and sorry about leaving out all the previous odds and end i forgot to mention like the lsd and such i was just excited about gettin true D series pioneers opinions on my monster build up to pick on some b series but once again thank you guys for all your help and very knoledgable insight into the grey areas of my plan :D

BTW any insight as to downpipe and exhuast diameter i know i need atleast 2.5 but should i run a 2.5 or 3 inch?? i know im gonna be moving some serious air so any suggestions welcome

·
Registered
629 Posts
I would suggest ARP headstuds/bolts and a cometic headgasket. Head lift can occur with that amount of power.

I haven't heard of any Honda tranny breaking, ever, so I think you're safe there. You could have the gears shotpeened or cryogenically treated I suppose if it lays your mind to rest, but I wouldn't worry. :)
I hope you're joking...if not you're pretty much a dumbass.

I'm on my 4th tranny in 9 months, if that says anything. I broke the first one the first time I got on it when I was boosted. The tranny wasn't completely right, but i still didn't see that coming. Spun through second, caught traction hard in third, and bent the input shaft (the car had been launched on slicks a few times when it was all motor). The second one that broke I don't really know what happened because i haven't pulled it apart yet. I think its probably the shift fork because it broke going into second. The last one broke on my way home from class one day when i launched it. Haven't pulled that one apart yet either.

I haven't seen anyone strip the gears off of them, but i'm sure its possible. It seems like "minor" things that always happen. Broken shift forks, bad bearings from being run low on oil, input shafts seems to be a pretty big problem, and i've even heard of people breaking final drive's while on slicks.

Anyhow, if you're careful and don't abuse them, they'll hold up...but when you launch the car on a regular basis, shift too fast, or treat it like crap, it'll break. I've had the tranny that i'm on now in the car for about 4 months with no problems...and even after the new motor it seems to be holding up alright, but i've also been really nice to it.

cliff notes: B series tranny>D series tranny lawl

edit: i'm still on stock axles for a reason. I'd rather change a broken axle than a broken tranny :TU: O'Reilly's axles FTW!

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
I hope you're joking...if not you're pretty much a dumbass.

I'm on my 4th tranny in 9 months, if that says anything. I broke the first one the first time I got on it when I was boosted. The tranny wasn't completely right, but i still didn't see that coming. Spun through second, caught traction hard in third, and bent the input shaft (the car had been launched on slicks a few times when it was all motor). The second one that broke I don't really know what happened because i haven't pulled it apart yet. I think its probably the shift fork because it broke going into second. The last one broke on my way home from class one day when i launched it. Haven't pulled that one apart yet either.

I haven't seen anyone strip the gears off of them, but i'm sure its possible. It seems like "minor" things that always happen. Broken shift forks, bad bearings from being run low on oil, input shafts seems to be a pretty big problem, and i've even heard of people breaking final drive's while on slicks.

Anyhow, if you're careful and don't abuse them, they'll hold up...but when you launch the car on a regular basis, shift too fast, or treat it like crap, it'll break. I've had the tranny that i'm on now in the car for about 4 months with no problems...and even after the new motor it seems to be holding up alright, but i've also been really nice to it.

cliff notes: B series tranny>D series tranny lawl

edit: i'm still on stock axles for a reason. I'd rather change a broken axle than a broken tranny :TU: O'Reilly's axles FTW!

yeah, there is someone that has a few posts on this forum from around my area. he dynoed over 400whp on his d and he has already went through a tranny...................and 4 head gaskets

·
Registered
512 Posts
Well the shift forks are a weak point, but you can kill those with the stock power too. Quickshifts are the devil to these forks. Bad bearings, that's just maintenance.

But really breaking the gears through sheer power... never heard of that happening before TBH.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Well the shift forks are a weak point, but you can kill those with the stock power too. Quickshifts are the devil to these forks. Bad bearings, that's just maintenance.

But really breaking the gears through sheer power... never heard of that happening before TBH.
actually, i've heard that they just have horrible input shaft bearings. I've never "abused" any of my tranny's...they just have broken.

as for breaking the tranny from sheer power, i don't know if i've done that because i've only opened up one of my broken trannys. I do, however, know someone that HAS broken one from sheer power. That being said, I still wouldn't worry about it, because d-series parts in general are inexpensive to replace. Just baby the transmission, and when it breaks, replace it. There is NO reason to go out and spend a shitload of money trying to prevent the inevitable.

Honda + Horsepower = broken parts. You can't avoid that fact, by building things you're just increasing the time that it will take to break it. :lol: meh, maybe i'm just a pessimist :lol:

Reactions: Orion

·
Registered
95 civic ex coupe
3,870 Posts
theres a guy on ht.. i believe his name is mike93eh and he stripped 3rd gear doing a dyno run..

·
Registered
512 Posts
Honda + Horsepower = broken parts. You can't avoid that fact, by building things you're just increasing the time that it will take to break it. :lol: meh, maybe i'm just a pessimist :lol:
Heh, true dat ! :D

Well, I've learnt something new today. :TU:

But shotpeening, that's only like $75 or so where I go (based on the fact that they only as $15 / rod)... so why not ?

·
Registered
93 dx hatch
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yes see cryo treating and shot peening isnt that expesive so thats why i thought hey why not cause the tranny the tranny will already be torn apart for the LSD install and rebuild....now on the shift forks is there anyway of making them stronger? i mean i know things are going to break but i want it to be as sturdy as possible and the extra money on building it isnt really my concern cause i love my hatch and no expense will be spared to make her exactly how i want her :D

I Heart My Cassandra :D

·
Registered
93 dx hatch
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
also i know its not a honda but 91-94 sentra SE-Rs have a place on the tranny case that cracks typicly and the case can be welded to stregthen it is there anything like that i should be aware of?

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
theres a guy on ht.. i believe his name is mike93eh and he stripped 3rd gear doing a dyno run..
yeah, there is someone that has a few posts on this forum from around my area. he dynoed over 400whp on his d and he has already went through a tranny...................and 4 head gaskets
thats the same person i believe that im talking about.

http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55247

Thats the link to his build an pics of his car.

http://www.midmosr.com/myvideos/mikeshatch.wmv

thats the dyno vid where he did 400whp.

Probably the nicest d series civic ive ever seen. I hope he can help me here in a few weeks to put my turbo kit on. This guy knows his shit!!!!

·
Registered
95 civic ex coupe
3,870 Posts
yea thats the same person

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
that is a bad ass car. i dont see how i missed that thread
yeah its a very nice car. The crazy thing is that he is running stock IM and 56mm tb...........

1 - 20 of 21 Posts