Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
civic
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a d16z6 with 190k miles that im currently working on. it all started by just wanting to change the valve cover gasket now it turned into:
intake gasket
valve cover gasket
oil pan gasket
oil pump
water pump
timing belt and tensioner

i figured since i was here i can do a port and polish on the head and ive seen on another couple of threads that i can just re torque with extra 5ft/lb. ive been told by an automotive tech of 30 yrs and race enthusiast (girlfriends dad) that its a bad idea to build the top end without rebuilding the bottom

my question is with that many miles on the bottom end can i get away with a port and polish?
can i just go in check for cross hatch and check the crank bearings or should i just leave it no port and polish.
ive got a 10 month old daughter so spending more money on this thing is not an option

·
Registered
1997 Civic Ex Turbo
1,826 Posts
Sometimes you can lose power doing a port and polish. If you don't want to spend more money without getting carried away, do what you were planning minus the port and polish but get an intake system, and perhaps a better exhaust. Don't expect to see serious gains on a naturally aspirated build without spending a significant amount of money.

·
Registered
civic
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ive heard about the loss in power. ive done tons of research and came up on a post here saying to not touch the floors and use an 80 grit wheel at max use 120 for the finish. i assume i shouldnt touch the floors cause the z6 tumble ports.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts