Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm in the middle of trying to swap out the broken head on my Del Sol Si (d16z6) for a newly re manufactured head. I've followed the instructions in the service manual to the letter so far, but It seems to have stopped making sense. I don't see a way to loosen the timing belt in order to get the head out so I can put the new one in. Do I have to remove all the pulleys and take the lower cover off also or is there a trick to sliding the head out and sliding the new one in?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The T-belt has a tensioner on it...loosen it up a tad and just pull the belt off the cam gear.
I know that, but with the upper cover off I don't see a way to get to the tensioner. How do you get to the tensioner? Do I need to remove the lower cover (and thus all the pulleys?) or is there some trick?

remove crankshaft pulley
remove lower timing cover
release tension on the t-belt tensioner
belt slides off
Only the crank pulley? Not the alt, ac, or any other pulley?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Isn't there a plastic round piece that pops out so you can get a socket on the tension?.....or you could take something down through the top of the time cover and puush the tension arm down but becareful I bent a spring tryin that one time

·
Registered
66 Posts
On my B8 Block there is a little rubber boot you can pull out of the lower timing cover that allows you to get on the tensioner with a ratchet, its hard to get to, but I didn't have to pull anything else off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Okay, I see the plastic piece that angry is talking about, now is it better to use that method or to remove the crank pulley and the entire lower cover?

Also while removing connections and lines I broke a small device at the far left on the firewall side of the intake manifold. It had a small diameter line and a connector, what part is this as I need to replace it.

·
I can't read...
10,170 Posts
Okay, I see the plastic piece that angry is talking about, now is it better to use that method or to remove the crank pulley and the entire lower cover?

Also while removing connections and lines I broke a small device at the far left on the firewall side of the intake manifold. It had a small diameter line and a connector, what part is this as I need to replace it.
remove the crank pulley and the cover. how else are you gonna get to the water pump. you are replacing that too right?

post a pic of what you broke.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Water pump was replaced 30k miles ago when the belt was done by the previous owner (I have a nice big folder with all the documentation from all the work that was done on it, guy was a pack rat.)

Also here is the part I broke, it is the one highlighted in red.

Attachments

·
Registered
257 Posts
Water pump was replaced 30k miles ago when the belt was done by the previous owner (I have a nice big folder with all the documentation from all the work that was done on it, guy was a pack rat.)

Also here is the part I broke, it is the one highlighted in red.
That is the evap purge control. It is not a critical engine part, the car should run just fine unless you cracked off the ear that holds it to the intake manifold creating a hole there.

If you did that why not just replace the intake manifold, then you dont need to take the head off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is the evap purge control. It is not a critical engine part, the car should run just fine unless you cracked off the ear that holds it to the intake manifold creating a hole there.

If you did that why not just replace the intake manifold, then you dont need to take the head off.
Thats not the original issue that just broke while I was removing the head. I cracked the small pipe that comes out of it that the line slips over.

·
I can't read...
10,170 Posts
Thats not the original issue that just broke while I was removing the head. I cracked the small pipe that comes out of it that the line slips over.
the vaccum line then right?

i did this once on my buddies swap. super glue to the rescue!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to everyone's help I should be back and driving the Sol around by monday. I just have to get the belt off, put the new head on, swap the dizzy over, re-time it and then bolt everything back in.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
This project is turning into a nightmare, I've got everything out and on the new head and ready to go but I can't undo the crank pulley to drop the lower cover. I've got an Electric Impact gun that claims put out 200ft/lbs but it can't loosen it, and I don't have the weight or muscle to break the bolt free using the breaker bar/flywheel stopper combo. I'm gonna run out there once the gun is at full fresh charge and see if it MAX POWAH! it can break it free. If not I've got to find some muscle to moose it free for me.

EDIT:
Nope this impact gun sucks big time, charge for well over 3 hours and it can't break the fucking bolt free, My Sols been out of commision for a week now and I'm getting pissy. I also have a stupid question is the bolt on there a normal or a reverse thread? (Left to loosen or right to loosen) Cause I'd feel real stupid if its a reverse thread and all I've been doing in trying to spin it the wrong way.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Normal thread.
I don't think an electric impact wrench will loosen it.
Try a 24 inch breaker bar. Maybe get a piece of pipe from Home Depot to slide over the the handle to extend for more leverage.

·
Registered
13,322 Posts
How are you keeping the assembly from moving while wrenching on it? Might I suggest removing the starter, jamming a pry bar in the "hole" where the starter occupied, and then give it hell!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts