Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is entailed in a d16 head rebuild? My plan was to replace the springs and the camshaft and valve seals. Then get it milled and hot tanked. Is that good enough? Or should I buy a re manufactured head and put the cam and springs in that one?

Just wondering what you others have done when doing a cam. I want it fresh and to run good but really what else is there in a head rebuild?

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Find a good vtec head that has not overheated. Remove excess oil, and remove the valvetrain and upper assembly.

*Send the head and assembly to your machinist and ask for the following :
- Pressure test
- Minimum milling to ensure flatness
- Replace valve guides with excessive play
- New 3-angle valve job
- Assuming you are using brand new valves, give them to him as well to back-cut
- Hot tank head and assembly

·
Registered
29 Posts
what is hot tanking <.<;? and if he dont plan to go tot he shop he can lap his own vavles ect what does the back cut do? :x

·
Registered
97 civic lx
967 Posts
what is hot tanking <.<;? and if he dont plan to go tot he shop he can lap his own vavles ect what does the back cut do? :x
Hot tanking is a cleaning process

Lapping and a 3 angle valve job have nothing in common

Back cutting allows more air to flow past the valves

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
have a 3 angle valve job done and backcut the valves
^^^ what he said!!!
Or even better, just send the head to Performance Porting and get one of their packages then do a "competition valve job" your machine shop if they have been long enougth in business will know what are you talking about. For the camshaft it all depends which way you are going but Im pretty sure the best bang for your buck will be Delta Cams. Most likely you gonna need new springs if you are getting a camshaft, get them and send them together with you head that way they will get install when your head is being work on.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sorry for intruding but I'm about to build a z6 head too. If you get a cam all you need is springs? What is a decent brand? Not an all out track brand but just something decent and affordable?

·
Registered
too many
1,582 Posts
Sorry for intruding but I'm about to build a z6 head too. If you get a cam all you need is springs? What is a decent brand? Not an all out track brand but just something decent and affordable?
Do research, everyone has a specific preference so asking which is best you will get tons of answers.

Better to decide on something and ask people what they think or make a separate post to ask for help. But "searching" is the key

·
Registered
97 civic lx
967 Posts
There's no all out track brand. Each brand has deferent cams with deferent profiles.
Bisimoto makes power, but its expensive.
Delta makes power, and its cheap.
Some cams are hardwelds, others are regrinds.
Some heads only have regrinds available, some have hardwelds and regrinds.

If your just wanting a little more pep than send your cam to delta to get a .272 regrind.

If your wanting a little more pep than deltas pep than get a bisimoto stage 2 hardweld.

Either way your going to need a tune, so I would go ahead and get a level x cam from bisi and tune, call it a day B)

·
Registered
Mitsu, Subie, others
496 Posts
There's no all out track brand. Each brand has deferent cams with deferent profiles.
Bisimoto makes power, but its expensive.
Delta makes power, and its cheap.
Some cams are hardwelds, others are regrinds.
Some heads only have regrinds available, some have hardwelds and regrinds.

If your just wanting a little more pep than send your cam to delta to get a .272 regrind.

If your wanting a little more pep than deltas pep than get a bisimoto stage 2 hardweld.

Either way your going to need a tune, so I would go ahead and get a level x cam from bisi and tune, call it a day B)
Delta has new billets now 19 left
please use the word affordable........ cheap is for hookers... LOL

·
Registered
1992 Civic Si
1,671 Posts
Also I believe the level X requires clearancing the head with a burr and a die grinder. Which means taking it off and tearing it down to get all the cutting debris out.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
3,978 Posts
post from 2011? nice

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
3,978 Posts
didn't say anything negative. he went deep. hence the nice

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
He actually found this thread from me quoting it in his thread, he was asking about cleaning the head himself, glad he listened to the link advice.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
DIY
Exhaust Valve Guides
Valve Job
Mill
DIY

I'll be negative

Go read some more, and when you don't understand something, go type it in google and press search and read some more. Trolling for spoon-feeders. This is a waste of time. Moderately entertaining watching idiots say things. Like Americas dumbest criminals.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts