Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
91 crx
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was sup d-series ppls....alright so i just got done putting a brand new out of the shop d16z6 head on my d16y8 block, my reason for that is cos the z6 have more aggressive cams+i had a bent valve in my y8 head......now few things i'm wondering is do i still need to time the head(when i was putting on my skunk2 cam gears i notice the way the cam gear fit on 0 degrees was right in the middle, with negative and positive on each opposite side at a perfectly even level),(i have already timed the bottom end by rotating the pulley till the closest piston to the drive side reaches it's highest point,then to stop there, is what i was told to do),now another thing is after i have completed everything else, was wondering why when i pour oil into the motor and check the dip stick it seems like no oil has reach the oil pan. haven't tryed to start up the car yet wanna make sure everything is ok and good to go before i do....so please anyone with any ideas lmk....thanks

·
Registered
91 crx
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
damm 11 hit and one 1 with any help....well found out from a buddy of mines that the reason for my oil no going to my oil pan could be the head gasket i'm using which is the y8 gasket, but on some past forms i read some ppl said it would be ok unless those infomation is incorret...so some pleaseeeee tell me which head gasket i should be useing for this motor....and yes i know now that i need to time my head as well......all i need to know is what head gasket to use....i'm sure someone out there in the d-series world knows unelss they don't wanna help but that's the whole reason for having d-series.org is to learn from others right?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
was wondering why when i pour oil into the motor and check the dip stick it seems like no oil has reach the oil pan. haven't tryed to start up the car yet wanna make sure everything is ok and good to go before i do....so please anyone with any ideas lmk....thanks
Is the oil laying up top in the head? If not it's draining somewhere. How much oil did you put in it?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Is the oil laying up top in the head? If not it's draining somewhere. How much oil did you put in it?
That. i dont know for sure but u should be able to see some level in the head when looking in the fill cap cause iirc its like 4 litres of oil?(been a long while for me..) dont know if that much fits in the head. so it should be somewhere.

also use the z6 ignition for the z6 cam cause of the retarded cam.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Do you mean z6 distributor to account for ignition timing?

·
Registered
91 crx
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
idk if the oil is laying in the head but today i'm gonna take off the valve cover and see if i can find wtf is going on....and i put two bottles is what i was told is the proper amount to put in.

·
Registered
91 crx
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That. i dont know for sure but u should be able to see some level in the head when looking in the fill cap cause iirc its like 4 litres of oil?(been a long while for me..) dont know if that much fits in the head. so it should be somewhere.

yea i looked into the hole where the fill cap gose and it seems like the oil is not building up as i pour it into the head, if oil is stuck in the head but the level of oil dosen't seem to rise up as i pour oil, but idk will try to find out today and keep ya posted......thanks for the help....

·
Premium Member
95 Solvic, 93 dS si
694 Posts
put the full 4 qts in and check again. The head will hold MAYBE 2 qts, but you will be able to tell if it is not draining into the pan as it will constantly fill up the VC.

Best odds is to fill the full 4 qts (although with a bone dry motor probably more around 4.5) check the level in the pan, remove the ign wires and remove the fuse to the fuel pump and cycle the starter 3 or 4 times for no more than 5 seconds (this is to allow the oil to circulate into the motor) check oil level again, fill to capacity, replace wires, put fuse back in, start and time.

·
Registered
91 crx
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
put the full 4 qts in and check again. The head will hold MAYBE 2 qts, but you will be able to tell if it is not draining into the pan as it will constantly fill up the VC.

Best odds is to fill the full 4 qts (although with a bone dry motor probably more around 4.5) check the level in the pan, remove the ign wires and remove the fuse to the fuel pump and cycle the starter 3 or 4 times for no more than 5 seconds (this is to allow the oil to circulate into the motor) check oil level again, fill to capacity, replace wires, put fuse back in, start and time.
alright i'm gonna do what you sugguested and fill 2 more qts but this might be a dumb question from me but here gose how do i cycle the starter?

·
Registered
91 crx
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
alright just pour two more qts of oil and it cheek the dip stick and all seems well now. also just gone done timing the motor as well, so now all looks good wish me luck, starting it up tomorrow.

·
Registered
91 crx
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
only problem is leaking oil from the head(think i sould have gotta a new head gasket) but selling the car soon.

·
Registered
91 crx
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
alright ppl just tryed to start the car and the starter only kicked for a few seconds so thought the battery was low since i haven't used it in months so i tryed to jump it. still didn't work so i switch the battery with another good condition battery but still the same thing starter only kicked for a few seconds and then nothing, gose dead silence.wtf!!!!!!!! any one with any help would be very appreciated.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts