Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello ladies and gentleman, i know that my questions have probably already been answered but im gonna ask anyways because ive searched and search an searched and havent really found exactly what im looking for. ok so i got a D16z6 head an a D16y8 block an y8 intake mani. i would like to combime that all into on decent set up, im looking to get a small turbo maybe a t3t4 but im not really sure what to look for. if any of you people have any comments that can help maybe point me in the right direction for EVERYTHING i will need. im looking to reach around 200hp like i said nothing big just a little gittyup. so please if anyone knows of good write ups, or can explain me themselves a good set up an all the parts i need it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much. Drive on.

p.s. please dont tell me to search cuz for real ive tried and tried and cant find exactly what im looking for, so please point me in the right direction.

·
Registered
98 dx sedan
895 Posts
lol well im not tryin to be mean, but this stuffs not hard to find if you search for "honda civic turbo kit" on google...

Anywho, im in a good mood so I'll help ya out.
Now basically goin turbo you got two options here:

1)Buy a pre-made turbo kit from companies like GReddy, Turbonetics, or if you wanna go cheap and low-quality (which I DO NOT recommend) you can buy a "no-name" kit off eBay.

OR (this is the one i'm working on)

2) Part yourself a kit together from tons of different (and usually cheaper) options.

Now before you decide on which route to go you need to consider a few things. First, what's your budget? A self-collected turbo kit can run anywhere from 800 dollars and up, while a pre-made one will probably cost you atleast 2k, probably more like 2500 (dont quote me on that it depends who makes it)

So now I'll go over the pros and cons of each:

Pre-made:
Pros: -comes with everything you need, often even installation instructions
-has been tested to work on your car, and often has a manufacturer's warranty incase something breaks
-generally high quality, high performance parts that are brand new and work as such (again you get what you pay for with this)

Cons: It costs a buttload of money

Self-made kit:
Pros: -Generally a good deal cheaper than the pre-made ones
-It takes some basic mechanical knowledge and the ability to find information to piece together a kit, not only being able to decide what will fit, but what would fit BEST for your car. (this may be a pro, con, or neither, just wanna throw that in)
-You can learn a lot of valuable knowledge in this whole process (I know I did) and that's something special:greddy:

Cons: -You can really F*** UP your car with this if you don't know whats goin on!
-It takes longer to find all your parts (atleast it did for me) because if your a penny pincher you wait to buy a part till you get a good deal
-Most of the parts you will use PROBABLY aren't made for your car, and wont fit perfectly without some adjustments here and there

Once you have picked a route to go there is the most important option to think about, and that is TUNING my friend.

Now I know you might think "O i'm just goin 200hp, I wont need a tune cuz its not a racecar" (if thats not what you think I'm sorry for insulting you :) )
The truth is, a tune will make or break your engine and turbo setup, regardless of where it came from (a kit, or parts you got yourself).

***Also you must realize that 200hp is almost DOUBLE the stock output of the motor, and the internal parts (pistons, rods, etc.) were not designed to handle that much power. 200hp is pushing the safe limit on the motor, and I would only go that high with a good tune.

You will also have to swap your ECU (computer that controlls your car) to an OBD1 ECU (unless you already have one), because you cannot currently tune an OBD2 (or atleast not that I know of)

So in just a recap here, incase I missed anything, Ill write up a basic parts list of what you need to get your car turbod (and safely)

1) Turbo- you want a small one for 200hp so it will spool fast, probably a t3/t4 or a t25, 14b, or 16g at the biggest

2) Turbo manifold- this replaces the stock exhaust manifold and uses exhaust to spin the turbo- this bolts to your turbo (or rather it bolts to this)

3) Downpipe- This is the pipe that goes from the turbo to the rest of your exhaust, probably have to have this custom made.

4) Intercooler- This goes on the front of your car, cooling the air from the turbo compressor before it goes into the car.

5) Intercooler piping- allows the air to travel out of the turbo and through the intercooler, and finally into the intake manifold.

6) Wastegate- If your turbo doesn't have an internal wastegate, you need an external one, this regulates how much boost (Psi or bar) you generate

7) Blow of valve (a.k.a. by-pass valve)- connects to the intercooler piping and lets the turbo pressure vent out whenever you let off the gas pedal

8 ) Oil (and/or water) lines- Depending on the turbo you get you might have to run water to it, but FOR SURE you have to have pressurized oil going to the turbo, and a line that drains that oil back into your oilpan.

9) Tuning - either a chipped ECU, or a piggyback system (such as hondata) and take your car to a professional tuner

Thats the basics, just a couple other notes, if your car is an auto, you probably should manual swap as automatics tend to wear out fast with turbos. You also might want to upgrade your fuel pump, injectors, and rail so you get enough fuel to the engine or else you risk what's called "Detonation"

I know this is a lot to chew on, and If I missed anything let me know, but this is mostly what you need to know when planning to turbo your d-series :yes:

This should probably be stickified for new guys if anyone wants to do that

if you got any more questions ask, Ill try my best to answer, and GOOD LUCK!:bigok:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im glad i caught u in a good mood :) this was very helpful. i know this sounds dumb but how do you feel about the kits on ebay pretty much the "no name" HONDA CIVIC CRX D15 D16 T3T4 D-SER TURBO CHARGER KIT : eBay Motors (item 170420776700 end time Mar-15-10 17:46:47 PDT)kits. i realize there not the most quality systems an not very reliable but its nice that they have mostly everything i need, you think i could purchase one of them and an use some stuff from the kit and buy somethings that are better quality an interchange other things to help make one of those kits more reliable? you know what i meann??? or is that just a bad idea??. im in no rush to do this build i could jsut use all the adive i can get.

this is what i got goin on for the head and block....
everything is disassembled, so im trying to figure out what i should do while its all apart let me know if im heading in the right direction

-injectors...any good cc?
-fuel pump.. probably go with a walbro..any good size?
-engine management... good ones
-arp head studs
-y8 head gasket :pinch:
-z6 timing belt
-waterpump..what one should i use?
-rods.. what codr?
-piston probably 9:1:1
-little port an polish an clean up block an head, pressure test etc.

anything else? :wacko:

i do not have a vtec solenoid on the Z6 head but i do have one on the Y8 are they compatible?
an is there anything to do with the Z6 being obd1 and the Y8 being obd2
an one more question for now Y8 intake mani on the Z6, does it built right on an thats it what else needs to be done for that, also what throttle body do u guys recommend.

thank you guys you've been a good amount of help

·
Registered
98 dx sedan
895 Posts
im glad i caught u in a good mood :) this was very helpful. i know this sounds dumb but how do you feel about the kits on ebay pretty much the "no name" HONDA CIVIC CRX D15 D16 T3T4 D-SER TURBO CHARGER KIT : eBay Motors (item 170420776700 end time Mar-15-10 17:46:47 PDT)kits. i realize there not the most quality systems an not very reliable but its nice that they have mostly everything i need, you think i could purchase one of them and an use some stuff from the kit and buy somethings that are better quality an interchange other things to help make one of those kits more reliable? you know what i meann??? or is that just a bad idea??. im in no rush to do this build i could jsut use all the adive i can get.

this is what i got goin on for the head and block....
everything is disassembled, so im trying to figure out what i should do while its all apart let me know if im heading in the right direction

-injectors...any good cc?
-fuel pump.. probably go with a walbro..any good size?
-engine management... good ones
-arp head studs
-y8 head gasket
-z6 timing belt
-waterpump..what one should i use?
-rods.. what codr?
-piston probably 9:1:1
-little port an polish an clean up block an head, pressure test etc.

anything else?

i do not have a vtec solenoid on the Z6 head but i do have one on the Y8 are they compatible?
an is there anything to do with the Z6 being obd1 and the Y8 being obd2
an one more question for now Y8 intake mani on the Z6, does it built right on an thats it what else needs to be done for that, also what throttle body do u guys recommend.

thank you guys you've been a good amount of help

Yeah you could for sure buy that one off eBay, your gonna notice though that theres oil leaking from most places it could...other than that I mean people have had alot of success with those ching chong chinese turbos (not huge success but they work! :) ) Just make sure you get an intercooler and piping too (ebay ones are fine for that)

As for your other questions ill start with your parts list...
Injectors - go for 450cc off an old turbo mitsubishi eclipse if you can find them, they're cheap, big, and all you have to do is find a "resistor box" and they will go straight on your fuel rail (Might have to shave the rings a tiny bit idk)

Fuel pump - standard is the Walboro 255 if im not mistaken

Engine management - like I said, hondata is the best out there...but also not cheap, if you dont wanna blow a ton of money you can always try "chipping" an obd1 ecu and tuning it on chrome or uberdata or somethin like those (they are basic tuning programs you run off a computer)

arp h.s. - :bigok: smart guy!

*same with the head gas

-timing belts are always a good idea to change before a build

water pump...hmm..i don't know much about upgrading them or anything...idk why a stock one wouldn't be good enough, considering I've never heard of one failing lol

Rods - there are lots of makers out there...honestly an I-beam or H-beam would do awesome here, I personally like eagle rods...i think crower makes good ones from what ive heard...do some research for sure on this one, its all up to you

Pistons - That compressions a decent number, gives you room to build that turbo to higher psi, I like vitaras but again theres tons of options out there.

Definately DO the port and polish! If you don't do it yourself take it to a machine shop, but while its off this is one of the best things you can do (minus new valve train/ cam) to really free up flow and those extra horses! :devil2:
There are a BUTTLOAD of DIY threads AND videos on head porting and polishing, its really pretty easy, just takes a lot of time and great deal of patience, but well worth it!!! **I'll be doing mine when I send my cam to Delta-cams in the first week of april, I'll do a nice write up and you can go off that (if you wanna wait that long :pinch: )

Okay your last couple questions.... Now, i know i seem knowledgable and all BUT v-tec=my main weakness :wacko: I run a d16y7 no-vtec so its not my forte, and I have no clue whether the v-tec solenoids are swappable....
My gut is to say no, because of a bolt pattern or shape or something but hell, they do the same thing I guess...best to ask that to someone with vtec

The y8 head being obd2 and the block being obd1 shouldnt be an issue, the only two important things here are that you are running an obd1 ecu (so you can tune) and that you then make sure your dizzy (distributor) is obd1 as well, lots of people have issues trying to keep their obd2 dizzy, it just doens't seem to work

That y8 manifold is actually attatching to the head, which is also a y8 so fitment shouldn't be a problem. Only thing that might not fit is the support braket for the manifold (if you still got it)...but honestly thats not a necessary part

throttle body wise...you can do alot of different things...you could get a big old integra TB and bore it out to like 70mm and have your intake manifold matched to it...expensive, but proven to be Badass haha
My thought is to just run what you got dude, and whenever you decide to upgrade make sure you get your manifold matched to the TB so they are the same size, or else the manifold will greatly restrict your flow cuz it makes a lip.

Post if you got any more questions...but do some researching for real. It's important to teach yourself about things, not always be spoon fed, but id you really need the help and seriously cant find anything after hours of searching...ill be somewhere on this big ol' forum :)
Just remember to have fun with your build man cuz thats what its all about! :bigok:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts