Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(New to the forum) I believe I have a d16z6 head with a d15b bottom end inside my hatchback.
But Iam confused because i cant determine whether i have a vtec d15b bottom or a non vtec d15b bottom.

Questions:

1.)Does just having the Vtec soleniod make the d15b bottom vtec, becuase the p08 d16z6 head I have on top of the d15b has it .

2.)Does it matter if the d15b bottom is non vtec while running a vtec head.

3.) Can the stock crankshaft of the d15b handle a t3/t4 turbo boosting at 8-10 psi with a built motor tuned.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,389 Posts
1) head is only vtec, block is a block
2) google (or search) a mini me.
3) google what causes rods to break. hint, its not psi.
4) search and read before asking questions.
5) ???
6) be a smarter member of d-so and profit

·
4,389 Posts
The crankshafts aren't what you end up worrying about, the rods are.

The cylinder block doesn't effect vtec, besides a single oil line that needs to be re-routed if you're installing a vtec cylinder head on a non-vtec block.
so d-series heads require a oil line be re-routed? or do they require a plug to be removed. stop talking.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was just wondering about the crankshaft because I know that the d15b bottom can carry d16z6 rods and d15b vitira pistons but was just wondering if i could improve the crank as well.
Now for the actual head is there anything that could be faulty or improved besides the camshaft or spring retainers.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I was just wondering about the crankshaft because I know that the d15b bottom can carry d16z6 rods and d15b vitira pistons but was just wondering if i could improve the crank as well.
Now for the actual head is there anything that could be faulty or improved besides the camshaft or spring retainers.
You're not allowed to ask questions without them being new and exciting. Otherwise you get yelled at because at some point, atleast 1 person asked the same question and hopefully the answer isn't impossible to find.

Everything could be broken or everything could be in perfect shape. Thats why diagnostic tests were invented, to find out. Most things could be replaced for improved parts, some things are going to be exceedingly expensive to replace.

The exhaust guides like to leak, if its like sub 5% it won't effect engine operation but it won't run very clean. I have one that leaks like 30psi @ 100 psi and its a catastrophic problem.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought that my first question was somewhat unique but in the future ill keep in mind not to ask questions that are covered in old threads.

·
Asshole
4,112 Posts
The only way to know for sure is to take the head off the block. You will then see the piston code on the top of the piston.

PM3 is not vtec
P08 is obd1 jdm vtec

·
Premium Member
theft repo sol
357 Posts
Also look for an oil jet on the firewall side center of the block. Only vtec blocks will have the oil jet and if the oil jet isn't present you will need to locate one and install or vtec will never work. I have done several mini me conversions and I know that at least three different versions I've done are in threads on this site.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
4,389 Posts
Also look for an oil jet on the firewall side center of the block. Only vtec blocks will have the oil jet and if the oil jet isn't present you will need to locate one and install or vtec will never work. I have done several mini me conversions and I know that at least three different versions I've done are in threads on this site.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
are you sure about that?

"VERY IMPORTANT: If you have a D15 block (or any D-series block with an oil jet for that matter), you need to make sure that you remove the oil jet between cylinders 2 and 3 when you do this swap. If you don’t, you won’t have VTEC. I forgot to pull the oil jet out the first time. You won’t get a code, your ECU will say your solenoid is fine and everything is working great but VTEC will not actually engage. Make sure you remove the oil jet. I took a screw, screwed it into the oil jet, and then pulled it out with a pair of pliers."

·
Premium Member
theft repo sol
357 Posts
oops yeah. just went into the basement and double checked. the oil jet is present in the head of sohc vtec cars. so remember to remove the jet in non vtec blocks. rep to ya'll who caught that.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I believe that was already done with the previous owner of the car as the car does hit v-tec around 4500-5000 area. But thank you for the information on the oil jet none the less.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts