Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, here is the situation. I have the following...

*I have already searched several sites, read several guides/posts, but still have the following questions due to having read different answers on different posts*

1995 Honda Del Sol w/ a complete d16z6 engine and tranny and ecu, the block has a broken headbolt in it that cannot be removed...

1997 Honda Civic DX smashed in the ass with a complete d16y7 engine and tranny and ecu....

I would like to do a z6/y7 mini me build since I am putting the y7 engine in the del sol regardless.

As of right now, both engine/trannys are sitting on the shop floor ready to made into one. However, I am uncertain of several things to complete this build.

1. Which timing belt do I use? Do I need to do any modification with the timing?
2. Which dizzy do I use?
3. Which injectors do I use?
4. Which ecu do I use?
5. Which head gasket do I use?
6. Is there an oil jet in the block I need to remove?
7. Can I bolt the z6 tranny right up to the y7 block? And is this worth the hassle because I already tried to remove the z6 tranny from the block and couldn't seem to get the two apart? Maybe there is something un-obvious I missed?
8. Which headbolts do I use where? I believe its all y7 bolts, with the exception of one z6 bolt closest to the vtec solenoid?
I was planning on using the z6 complete head, meaning both manifolds, fuel rail/injectors, dizzy, camshaft and cam gears.

I was planning on just switching any plugs from the z6 block to the y7 block that don't match, so I can use the wiring harness and ecu thats already in the del sol without having to modify anything with the wiring.

I am most worried about the new timing of the z6 cam/gear and the y7 crank/gear. I'm also worried about the wiring/ecu to make sure I'm actually using the vtec and not receiving any check engine/emission lights. Let me know guys, I have everything from both cars and want to make this as easy and powerful as possible.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
1. Which timing belt do I use? Do I need to do any modification with the timing? Use either one. When I did my y7/z6 mini-me I used the y7 belt since it look to be in better condition than my z6 timing belt
2. Which dizzy do I use? Use your z6 dizzy since you're using the z6 head and your car is still OBD1
3. Which injectors do I use? Use z6 injectors since their 240cc. Y7 injectors are 180cc or something
4. Which ecu do I use? Use your stock p28 ecu in your del sol.
5. Which head gasket do I use? I used the y7/y8 head gasket since for some reason it's cheaper than the z6. But either one will do.
6. Is there an oil jet in the block I need to remove? Nope
7. Can I bolt the z6 tranny right up to the y7 block? And is this worth the hassle because I already tried to remove the z6 tranny from the block and couldn't seem to get the two apart? Maybe there is something un-obvious I missed? Tranny is a direct fit. Make sure you take the 2 bolt that is holding to the rear tranny mount and another tranny bolt under it.
8. Which headbolts do I use where? I believe its all y7 bolts, with the exception of one z6 bolt closest to the vtec solenoid? Yes, 9 y7/y8 head studs and 1 z6 head stud.
I was planning on using the z6 complete head, meaning both manifolds, fuel rail/injectors, dizzy, camshaft and cam gears. Used everything on the head and up. Basically the whole complete head including intake manifold, TB, injectors, dizzy and etc.

I was planning on just switching any plugs from the z6 block to the y7 block that don't match, so I can use the wiring harness and ecu thats already in the del sol without having to modify anything with the wiring.

I am most worried about the new timing of the z6 cam/gear and the y7 crank/gear. I'm also worried about the wiring/ecu to make sure I'm actually using the vtec and not receiving any check engine/emission lights. Let me know guys, I have everything from both cars and want to make this as easy and powerful as possible. Everything will be the same basically. All plugs will be the same since you're just using the block. Only thing is that the y7 will bump your compression up a little bit. Any more Q's just let me know or if I let anything out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perfect! Thank you very much! Should I buy new headbolts/studs or can I re-use the ones I have? I literally have everything I need to do this!

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
do not re-use stock bolts!!! unless u wanna break off another. get arp. if they are apr yes u can re-use if they have not been re-used alot. and yeah dude hit it on point with everything. i also used Y7 belt on mine cause it was in better condition..lol everything else needs to be z6 parts. HG doesnt make a diff. GL
also the lil plug that comes from behind pulley wont be used. i cut mine off.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
LOL. I used my stock bolts all the time because I'm a cheap bastard and didn't feel like forking up money for new studs. But hey, my boost y7/z6 mini-me made 244whp/218tq on a dyno dynomics on stock studs untune.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts