Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a z6 head from someone and upon disassembly there are cracks around the bolt holes for 2 of 5 valve cover bolts. The cracks are less than 1cm long.

My question is would the rocker assembly still be safe to use in a high comp mini me build.
Cheers

Zingle

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
If it is only the area around the valvecover mounting bolts, pictures would be needed to see if it effects anything else. Cracks can go deep.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Know anyone around that welds aluminum? Its gonna take some serious prep work (lots of oil and debris soaked into that aluminum!) but you could grind a thin line down teh crack, drill or countersink a hole at the base of the crack, clamp the halves together, weld it, and use a new tap in the hole to finish it off.

With a bolt installed and that crack left untouched, it is possible over time the vibration and heating/cooling cycles of the head will allow a piece to fall off.

The shitty part about having to replace it, is to do it properly, you would want to linebore the valvetrain with it torqued down without a camshaft installed, to make sure its still "round".

Ive seen people swap parts of the valvetrain, and have odd wear and tear on the cam mains. It is not a guarantee, simply a common issue if one arrises.

To be very clear, I am NOT a machinist, I am NOT a welder, and i do NOT do fabrication work normally, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.