Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This car belongs to Stephen from Greenville. Stephen brought us his Civic for a tune on Crome Gold last Saturday. After a few small issues on the dyno, he brought the car back today to finish the tune. This car is his daily driver, and retains both power steering and AC. The exhaust was routed through the stock muffler, and the BOV was recirculated to cut down on any noise.

Here is Stephen's Setup:

D16Z6
75.5mm Suzuki Vitara Pistons
FJ Distributors Rods
ACL Bearings
Stock Head and Cam
Y8 Intake Manifold

Garrett 50 trim (TBO363, .48 a/r)
Spoolin Performance Replica Manifold
Tial 38mm Wastegate (dumps to downpipe)
FMIC
2.5" Downpipe
2.5" Exhaust to stock 2" muffler

Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump
RC 550cc Injectors
GM 3 Bar MAP Sensor

Upgraded Plug Wires
BKR7E-11 Plugs

This chart is on 12.5 PSI.

·
Registered
94 civic hatch
337 Posts
Nice numbers for the parts used..Ive been watching his thread. How conservative is his tune?

·
Registered
EJ6
1,169 Posts
where is the tube on your bov going to?

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
omg ac, recirculated BOV, blacked out FMIC

I <3 you man!!!

now just needs more boost but good power for that CR and 12psi seems about right now turn up the boost!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
nice sleeper needs more boost though I bet that exhaust is choking you up a bit as well seeing how your torque nose dives
A better flowing exhaust will raise the numbers but it will still nose dive. That's due to the log manifold.

Customer wanted to keep his a/c.

Nice numbers for the parts used..Ive been watching his thread. How conservative is his tune?

If more ignition timing is added pass the current settings, the car will loose power. Add more timing pass that point and it will knock.

We actually made roughly 10-13 more peak whp on a prior run using 10-20% less fuel at WOT than the final tune. That was when we were dialing in the fuel curve. Those 10-13 more whp is not worth any sacrifice to reliability.

I really only use the word conservative to describe factory base maps, not tuned maps. This car was dyno tuned for efficiency and reliability, along with partial throttle tuning for fuel greater fuel economy, idle and throttle response.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
how did you tune when the ac is on? have a rpm/tps cutoff?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^ TPS & RPM. Cut's off pass 50% throttle. I don't remember the exact rpm at which it cuts off but I believe it was around 5k.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
^ TPS & RPM. Cut's off pass 50% throttle. I don't remember the exact rpm at which it cuts off but I believe it was around 5k.
nice job man

·
Registered
158 Posts
Diggint the black intercooler. Did you every try it with open exhaust or a less restrictive muffler? I want my car to be quiet but not super restrictive. If its only 15hp loss or so thats fine.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Nice post! I hope to have similar from you very soon as well! LOL

So Hubert, what is the deal with needing both WG springs in his WG in order to reach the desired boost level? I don't get it. Makes me REALLY hope that my 1 bar ~ 14psi spring works like it is supposed to.

Oh, did it come down to your tuning ECU having an issue when his #3 cylinder wasn't firing? Obviously that was fixed since then.

Steve-o, I would LOVE to go for a ride sometime this week! Come on over to the house and I'll crank up the hatch well here!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice post! I hope to have similar from you very soon as well! LOL

So Hubert, what is the deal with needing both WG springs in his WG in order to reach the desired boost level? I don't get it. Makes me REALLY hope that my 1 bar ~ 14psi spring works like it is supposed to.

Oh, did it come down to your tuning ECU having an issue when his #3 cylinder wasn't firing? Obviously that was fixed since then.

Steve-o, I would LOVE to go for a ride sometime this week! Come on over to the house and I'll crank up the hatch well here!
Yep, yep.

I don't exactly understand yet why 2 wastegates were needed considering it was a Tial and looked practically brand new. At this point, only replacing it with another wastegate would tell us if the tial is bad or not. We pressure checked all the vaccuum lines and found some leaks at the vacuum block, IAT Sensor and other places. We fixed that. We also did some other tests that point me to the wastegate but it's just too awkward to say for sure without trying a different wastegate.

Yep, our ECU was not wanting to cooperate on cylinder number 3 but that has since been resolved.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
magnaflow muffler+resonator

only thing that outflows it......is nothing its pretty mush straight pipe with holes in it and fiberglass around it :D

its isnt loud at all

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
i wouldnt blame the exhuats, its that tiny ass .48 exhuast ! nice street build tho.

·
Registered
Civic
819 Posts
I beat on the car all day today... she did great...

I'm defiantly using a lot of gas in boost haha... today the weather was overcast which allowed for pretty low temps all day long. This coming week i'll try some AC action.

And I agree that my muffler is holding my back, but its damn quite right now...

I want to fix the issue with the wastegate and then see what happens.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts