Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my street setup is a oil cooler necessary.... and without one is it safe to take a 200 mile trip ...also at 8 psi on this setup is an ignition upgrade recomended

·
Registered
94 Integra
1,226 Posts
If you have an uncovered downpipe an inch from the radiator and put on a slim fan that is NOT a SPAL-brand fan, oil temps won't be your issue. As long as you aren't constantly raping the car, it will be just fine. The water will take out more heat than the oil will, so oil temps will be nearly the same. Most road-race Hondas see oil temps past 240F w/o issue, yours will be much lower.

The OEM ignition will be fine, as long as it is *all* OEM. Decent plugs are required too. Aftermarket ignitions are a band-aid for shitty reman'd distributors & china coils, old/aftermarket wires, and poor plug choice. A new OEM distributor is nearly $500, and you'll have to spend more than that on aftermarket components to beat the OEM parts.

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
I ran an oil/water cooled turbo as a daily and took long trips with no issues. You'll probably be fine. OEM ignitions have been proven to hold fairly high power loads ... on your setup ... you'll probably be okay.

·
Banned
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How are the ebay fans I'm going to get a new aluminum rad and there's some that come with a slim fan. Any suggestions

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
The main thing when it comes to a fan is a good shroud.
It needs to also pull enough CFM's. Had a FAL die, replaced it with an ebay fan while the SPAL was on order. Ebay fan couldn't handle keeping the engine cool, This was shrouded. Put the SPAL in and no issues.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Factory fan is far better than mishimoto and ebay slim fans, plus it's what hunduh said, shrouded.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Having difficulty distinguishing the ebay from the SPAL fan.

Both push more air than the OEM, so I dont know how either are insufficient.

It was just judging using my hand, forcing the fan on with Neptune.

Works for many others. I'd like to see the design or reasoning for superiority, RPM/Blade design?

Teach me

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm running the stock d15b7 radiator fan (with an ebay half size rad) on my turbo b18 del sol with no cooling issues. Often take 350+mile trips in it with no problems

·
Banned
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for.the input this guy had me.freaked out tried telling me my bearings are gonna go cause the oil Temps will be too high . Then proceeded to try and sell me a 220 dollar plus oil cooling set up! Anyone ever use the rotella t6 5 w 30 oil

·
Registered
32 Posts
I run Rotella in my turbo setup.. Uncle is a 30 plus years caterpillar mechanic and told me to use it. The oil is setup to work with higher engine oil temps from turbos. I have been running it for a year now and is the only thing I will use. Plus side is it helps with the valve noise also!

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
for radiator fan purchases, cut the CFM number in half, and it is more accurate.

if you want a freakin beast of a fan that shits all over the honda OEM fans, go to the junkyard and grab the 1st or 2nd gen ford taurus fans. make a STRONG shroud.

Then you have the power of twin tornadoes cooling your shit

·
Registered
94 Integra
1,226 Posts
How are the ebay fans I'm going to get a new aluminum rad and there's some that come with a slim fan. Any suggestions
If you can fit an OEM fan, it has MORE than enough capacity than you'll ever need. Otherwise ebay fans suck cattle cock. SPAL is the only fan you should ever get. The thinnest SPAL with a shroud will be great. No shround = cooling capacity instantly cut by 1/3. Radiator areas with no airflow do no cooling.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts