Honda D Series Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
If it was spewing coolant out of the overflow reservoir then it's probably a blown head gasket or a cracked reservoir.
Was the radiator cap. Put my accord cap on and hasn't leaked since.

Now I've developed an oil leak coming down the front of my transmission. Ordered the distributor o ring and shaft seal.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ok, got the distributor seal and o ring replaced today. First Saturday I've had off in a couple months.

I cleaned every where under the distributor and laid a folded shop towel under it. Looks like the majority of the oil leaking is gone, but the one spot that appeared was towards the back of the engine below the vtec solenoid.

When I bought all my parts for the swap I was so close to also getting the vtec solenoid gasket, figured I wouldn't need it. Same with the distributor...lesson learned, just buy the cheap stuff.

Won't have my car back from the exhaust shop until Monday. I ended up ditching the holley header and got a 1320 performance header. Only issue is the bolts don't line up from the manifold to the collector.

Is it OK to weld the collector to the manifold? I've read mixed things about welding adjustable test pipes also. I just don't want any exhaust leaks.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
You can weld a flex pipe if you rather do that, just get someone that can weld to stainless.
Found an exhaust shop that would weld my header. I bought a hasport rear mount so my engine doesn't torque as much and won't crack my header.

Lots of people including myself replaced the rear mount on 9th gens to keep the downpipe from cracking and rubbing. I need to fix that vtec solenoid leak and coolant sending unit. After that the car should be good to go.

Will my o2 sensor go in the collector or one of the header primaries? There's like 5 o2 bungs

Attachments

·
Registered
921 Posts
I would put the O2 sensor in the collector down at the bottom of the header. Also a flex pipe would help most definitely.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I would put the O2 sensor in the collector down at the bottom of the header. Also a flex pipe would help most definitely.
Ok, sounds good. I think I'll be OK with just the hasport rear mount. I never had a flex pipe on my 2012 civic si and the RMM kept the down pipe from cracking and rubbing.

·
Registered
921 Posts
How are your lower mounts? Those things usually are the first thing to go bad and are easy to replace if the bolts aren't rusted like the ones up here I gotta feed a nut thru the frame rail and fish a bolt in there to bolt it back up.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
How are your lower mounts? Those things usually are the first thing to go bad and are easy to replace if the bolts aren't rusted like the ones up here I gotta feed a nut thru the frame rail and fish a bolt in there to bolt it back up.
The driver side is basically non existent. If the hasport mount doesn't work as well as I hope I'll try to repair them with window weld or something like it.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Small update. Got the exhaust and header put on and replaced one of the vtec solenoid gaskets. I'll get the other swapped out this weekend along with the hasport mount hopefully and see if my oil leak is gone.

Only had time to get a picture of the engine bay/header but I'll add a picture of the cat back soon.

Another update.

Took the coolant temp sending unit from my accord and the temp gauge functions properly now. When bleeding the coolant I held the throttle at 2500rpm and the engine dips a few hundred rpms but recovers. I held the throttle for a good while. When I replaced the water pump and thermostat there was LOTS of rust and corrosion inside so maybe a good coolant flush is what I need.

When the rpms dip the exhaust burbles. When I change my motor mount I'll clean the iacv. I'm going to re adjust the valves also.

If the oil leak is gone, and my engine isn't overheating I may just deal with it until I k swap the car.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Bump and update.

Ok, now I'm leaning towards my headgasket possibly having a leak. The car doesn't over heat but after bleeding the coolant there was definitely water coming out the exhaust tip. The car has a rough idle, the radiator is pressurized even after sitting and the engine is cold.

I can't really tell if there's white smoke coming from the exhaust because its been 30°F where Im at. I'm pretty confident I havent overheated the engine since it's been installed but the more I read about head gasket issues, the more I think that's my problem.

I'm going to call Steve at HMO Monday but if anyone has any idea how this should be handled I'd appreciate the help. I'm not trying to swap this engine again or send it back. The coolant temp sending unit was bad and all of hmotors stuff comes with all sensors working and intact.

I'm definitely not trying to bash or start a "beware" thread with hmotors. So far Steve has been extremely helpful and easy to deal with. I'll be sure to give him a call Monday and see what my options are and post an update.

Update - after weighing my options I'm having a friend replace the head gasket. I don't have the time to do it myself and it's not that expensive.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
It's ok if water is coming out of your exhaust. Ideally with a cat most exhaust gas turns into water vapor.
I don't have a cat, and the car had been running for a while when the water was coming out. It idles like it has a slight misfire, and when the car is completely cold the radiator is under pressure. the Timing is correct, valve clearance is in spec. It has a new OEM ignition tune up kit.

I'm putting money on I have a leaking head gasket. Total cost is around 425$ to repair with OEM parts and labor so I'm not too bummed about it.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Frist off, after bleeding and letting the car idle, did you afterwards lose more coolant? Also is the overflow tank overfilled? The exhaust popping could be from an exhaust leak. Check underneath for smoke and have hood open when you first cold start of the day to see.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Frist off, after bleeding and letting the car idle, did you afterwards lose more coolant? Also is the overflow tank overfilled? The exhaust popping could be from an exhaust leak. Check underneath for smoke and have hood open when you first cold start of the day to see.
No exhaust leaks, I just had the entire exhaust system redone. Coolant reservoir is at the top line.

While bleeding the coolant in the center of the funnel a brown film type residue was pooling. After bleeding the coolant several cycles I still had bubbling coolant

Edit

Just went and took the radiator cap off, could see oil floating on top so if that doesn't confirm the head gasket being bad I don't know what would.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Final Update on D16y1 issues.

Ended up swapping a H22 Euro-R in the hatch. Gave the D16y1 to a friend for his gf's civic. He said when he dropped the oil pan there was a bunch crap in it. I'll see if he still has the picture he sent me. Never got it running right. The engine is torn down and getting speedfactory internals now.

Attachments

21 - 36 of 36 Posts