Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 298 Posts

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts
What is wrong with spinning the blower the wrong way?

Works better mounted to the front of the motor anyways.

But what would I know......

·
Registered
680 Posts
What is wrong with spinning the blower the wrong way?

Works better mounted to the front of the motor anyways.

But what would I know......

the m62s are actually not too bad to take apart and reverse m90s on the other hand aren't so easy. comparatively

on this set up did you run the throttle before the charger ? what was fuel econ like?

·
Meat Popsicle
2,918 Posts
Everything is wrong with it...there's nothing right about it. What happens when you run a vacuum cleaner or a fan in reverse?

The helix angle of the rotors is only meant to work in one direction.

Edit: flipping the snout/rotor group works in theory but you're assuming that the bores and rotors are equal on both sides. If you read enough into it you'll see failures from guys trying to do this exact thing. Not trying to be a downer but I've looked into it and have seen what can happen

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts
Everything is wrong with it...there's nothing right about it. What happens when you run a vacuum cleaner or a fan in reverse?
Depends on the fan blade design. Eaton engineers thought Tim was crazy to spin a Benz Mad Max blower backwards.

Enough that they tested it. 10% drop in pumping which was offset by intercooling.....

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok yes, I'm serious.
To begin with this is a buick supercharger from the early 90s. It is an oem version of the eaton m62. I need to start by flipping the snout to run this thing counter clockwise. The top and bottom holes are just a little off to prevent it from being put together backwards.

20131216_195119 by rabidflickr, on Flickr

20131220_134453 by rabidflickr, on Flickr

20131220_142237 by rabidflickr, on Flickr

20131220_144252 by rabidflickr, on Flickr

Test fit

20131220_203239 by rabidflickr, on Flickr

Donor

20131222_140156 by rabidflickr, on Flickr

Ruff cut

20131222_150422 by rabidflickr, on Flickr

Unsure about keeping the bypass so I cut it back to here.

20131222_163529 by rabidflickr, on Flickr

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

The helix angle of the rotors is only meant to work in one direction.

Edit: flipping the snout/rotor group works in theory but you're assuming that the bores and rotors are equal on both sides. If you read enough into it you'll see failures from guys trying to do this exact thing. Not trying to be a downer but I've looked into it and have seen what can happen
Lets hope it works out because this is what I'm doing. Do you have an example of bore mismatch that caused failure?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OP more info on how this is getting done.
I got started by reviewing m62 builds and looking at the endyn and jackson racing setups. This gave me confidence that it could be done.

What turbo are you going to use?
Right now the car is turbocharged and running well. I've gone down to a 48mm precision turbo with .48 a/r turbine housing. Basically a full T3. I have my other T3/t04e 50 trim .63 a/r that I would like to put back on it.

What is the setup going to be like?
This is a megasquirt 3 custom build. e85, inline pumps, 1200cc injectors, built z6 (stock sleaves though) I'll add a large bypass for the turbo. Otherwise the pictures are worth a 1000 words.

My goal in low end torque and no turbo lag and a flat torque curve. This is hill climb and time attack car. Sometimes I autocross and drag race. [email protected] on street race tires. First run out.

·
Meat Popsicle
2,918 Posts
I'd have to dig around to find it again...maybe if I have time later I will.

In reply to bone, here's an example of spinning the blower forwards then backwards

It sucks instead of blowing. Don't know if the quality is good enough to see, seems like my phone uploads a shitty video even when I select HD

Flipping the snout is the right way to do it if you make sure that everything is lined up correctly and your clearances consistent. I'm rooting for you man, hope you have success doing this.

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
I got started by reviewing m62 builds and looking at the endyn and jackson racing setups. This gave me confidence that it could be done.

Right now the car is turbocharged and running well. I've gone down to a 48mm precision turbo with .48 a/r turbine housing. Basically a full T3. I have my other T3/t04e 50 trim .63 a/r that I would like to put back on it.

This is a megasquirt 3 custom build. e85, inline pumps, 1200cc injectors, built z6 (stock sleaves though) I'll add a large bypass for the turbo. Otherwise the pictures are worth a 1000 words.

My goal in low end torque and no turbo lag and a flat torque curve. This is hill climb and time attack car. Sometimes I autocross and drag race. [email protected] on street race tires. First run out.
Kool, my twincharge setup is with SC14 (84cid) supercharger and HE351VE Holset.

I DD mine with the S/C clutch disengaged most of the time still get 30mpg in town.

1 - 20 of 298 Posts