Honda D Series Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had some rod bearing issues and ended up having to change my crank. I picked up a d16y7 crank, which was exactly the same so i threw that in. My friend later told me he had a d16z6 crank but heard it might be different so he didnt mention it when i said i was looking for one. We measured them for shits and giggles and dimensionally they were exactly the same. However, the d16z6 crank has 2 oil holes per journal as apposed to only one on the d16y7/y8 cranks.
Why do you suppose they did this? I would assume the bearings would last longer with the 2 oil holes. Only thing i can think of is that i noticed there were alot of d16z6 motors with bad rings/cyl. walls. Maybe the extra oil hole dropped the oil pressure just enough to keep the pistons from getting all the oil they needed.
Your thoughts?

·
The H Badge is it!
91 crx
5,657 Posts
y7/y8 motors have oiling problems from the factory, the z6 motors you seen were either beat to shit, or just got old.. or both.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
y7/y8 motors have oiling problems from the factory, the z6 motors you seen were either beat to shit, or just got old.. or both.
every d16z6 i've seen for sale out here has been listed as "runs great, just burns oil". i've had a few that had oil burning issues and the cyl. walls were worn to shit on the top of the stroke (but with no bearing issues). I've had a shitload of domestic motors that had far more mileage and were abused like hell without any cyl. wall issues so that leads me to believe there's a weak link (expecially since domestic quality is said to be inferior to honda's).

Everyone blames the d16y8 oil pumps for the bearing issues but i think the problem is with the crank. Is there any actual proof that the oil pump is weaker on the newer motors? I'd be interested to see it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes, specs given in Honda shop manual, about 30% less output from the Y oil pump.......
thats friggin weird. 50% less oil passages in the crank and 30% less cfm from the oil pump. That's a drastic change in oil pressure and volume. Do they have a logical reason for doing this besides perhaps cost?

After hearing this i'm not entirely suprised that i fucked up a bearing @ 60k miles on a 100% stock car. I dont think i'm ever buying another Honda again after this hunk of shit. It's truely a Monday car.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
thats friggin weird. 50% less oil passages in the crank and 30% less cfm from the oil pump. That's a drastic change in oil pressure and volume. Do they have a logical reason for doing this besides perhaps cost?

After hearing this i'm not entirely suprised that i fucked up a bearing @ 60k miles on a 100% stock car. I dont think i'm ever buying another Honda again after this hunk of shit. It's truely a Monday car.
I think your just a monday driver. My z6 ran fine until 180000 miles and the number 3 won't hold compression any more, still drives though. Sounds like a subie but drives.

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts
my d15b8 went 220000 miles on stock everything and never smoked a bit. stock timing belt and all

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think your just a monday driver. My z6 ran fine until 180000 miles and the number 3 won't hold compression any more, still drives though. Sounds like a subie but drives.
All the z6's that i've seen that burned oil were around the 150k-180k mark too. I dont really see how that makes me any more of a Monday driver than you, or whatever the fuck that means.
180k seems awfully low to me considering almost every ford or gm i've owned had between 190k to 340k on the origional motors when i sold them or junked them due to cancer.

·
Registered
259 Posts
well like every brand no matter how good, theres always the few occurances where shit prematurely fails. In your case your engine was part of the low statistic, but more often than not, the great honda quality is unmatched.

doesnt matter if you talk about newer or older bmw's, jaguars, mercedes, volvo..etc, even the odd few parts in those brands fail.
I realize my d15b2 is not a z6 or y8, but it has 225 000km on it and since I bought the car with it 2 or so years ago, its daily seen 7500rpm atleast 2-3 times per day and no issues :)

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts

The issue started showing up in 1998 on soccer mom slushbox Civics, 60k miles and #4's a knocking......

Only way I'll own a 96-00 HB is with a A6 bottom end.....

·
Registered
915 Posts
z6 all the way...i wouldnt own another single cam motor other then the z6...u cant hurt them i swear...my g/f has a 95 ex..205k miles dosnt burn oil or knock...my cousin has a 94 ex..198k miles on it runs the absolute PISS out of it...only thing you can hear when its idling is the intake suckin...does burn a lil oil tho

·
Registered
EX coupe
758 Posts
Yes, that sounds VERY logical about the Z6 and the additional oil holes on the crank, along with a higher flowing oil pump = better oil flow!!......This is why the y8 seems to have problems....ive seen people drive y8's a long time and no issues...yet ive seen them die early as well....depending on the quality control seems to be the output to the answer...bearings etc....although, with the Z6= vitually no issues with oil problems....

When my y8 was stock.....i was driving on the freeway with my freind, i had about 80000, miles on the engine, and guess wut.....spun a bearing...STOCK FUCKING ENGINE.....yes Z6 or A6 FTW....y8 isnt bad, but at least try and correct the above following problems....

oh and btw....engines dont burn oil, the blow by oil through the cylinder head...then causing the additonal oil to score or boil....somwut burning but not really...but fuck guess u could call it burning if u didnt want to get technical....hahah...

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
EG
2,915 Posts
I have a stock Z6 thats still running good, though it shouldn't. It's leaking something out of the tranny side of the engine, it has a coolant leak somewhere and a year ago it killed a water pump and dumped all my collant on the expressway. And I didn't notice. The leak started after that happened.

I am almost at 200,000k and its still running fine. I used to run the shit out of it when I was younger (2-3 years ago), so I don't know what up with yours.

Also, I don't think I've seen a domestic other than trucks get 200k+ miles and not be a falling apart peice of shit on it's 3rd transmission, unless you bought the top expensive models. Or someone kept perfect care and maintence on it, something hondas don't need to go that long. If you kept a spotless maintenence record on a honda, it would last forever (if you didn't get a lemon).

·
Registered
47 Posts
hmmm thats interesting because my buddy keeps blowing up y7's and y8's with spun rod bearings and so i'mma tell him bout the z6 a lil more thanks for the new info guys!!

·
Registered
826 Posts
i truely think its all in how you take care of your motor. rutine oil changes, sparkplugs, timing, and coolent levels. also only drive the car hard when your racing. i know its fun to floor it and weeve through traffic but whats the point. just drive it nicely and it will preform nicely.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.