Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first build and I been building a D16Z6 on and off for a while now. I did a complete tear down and had the block sitting there waiting for me to start building it. The problem is that when I was attaching the stock connecting rods to the new pistons I lost one of the bearing caps. And another thing is that out of the 3 remaining bearing caps, I don't know which one goes to which rod. I heard that if you put the wrong ones together they will fail.

I don't know what to do, I don't know what my options are. Do I need to buy a new set of rods just to be safe? And if I do what should I buy? Would a set of refurbished rods from ebay be a safe choice? Or maybe just buy one rod and take what I have left to a machine shop maybe they can help. I'm not looking to make a lot of HP so I don't need really strong rods like the EAGLE H BEAM rods. I really don't know what my options are any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1992 Civic Si
1,671 Posts
My suggestion?

Find it.

Tear your garage apart if you have to, find that missing rod cap.

Once you have all 4 caps, if you check the big ends with a bore gauge to measure size, taper, and out of round you should be able to determine what caps go to what rods.

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
if he got a spare cap and got the rods re-sized, would that correct the miss matched prob?

·
Registered
725 Posts
If you find the cap, and machine shop can match them back up for you.

The best way is to put them together and run your finger along the inside to feel for a lip. If there is a lip, its the wrong cap for that rod.

Reactions: hotrodj

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I have a sprained ankle right now, but as soon as I can put some weight on my leg I’m gonna start looking for that cap. Thanks a lot for your suggestions!

·
Registered
a car
1,461 Posts
thats why you should always mark/label things and put them im boxes where they cant get lost lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts