Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm new to the forum, but I just bought a 1995 honda civic ex with a d16z6 in it and in oregon we are required to take emissions testing here my car failed for over double the required hydrocarbons, here's what I've done recently replaced the headgasket, new spark plugs, new o2 sensor, new exhaust pipes, muffler the car is pretty much stock btw, clean air filter, friend told me car smokes when I get on it (around when vtec kicks in) I don't know what I can do to pass I have ran out of ideas, hoping someone would be able to give me some advise, my guess is that I'm running rich just by the smell of the exhaust and my Emmsions testing results, if you don't know hydrocarbons usually mean unburnt fuel

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
Timing light (you can rent one for free at most parts stores or buy one at harbor freight).

Take the timing light and hook it to the #1 plug wire away from the dizzy, them use paper clip or what you have to jump the terminals for the ECU and point the light at the crank pulley, loosen the dizzy bolts and move the dizzy around until the notch on the crank pulley line up with 18 (red) mark on the pulley.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Timing light (you can rent one for free at most parts stores or buy one at harbor freight).

Take the timing light and hook it to the #1 plug wire away from the dizzy, them use paper clip or what you have to jump the terminals for the ECU and point the light at the crank pulley, loosen the dizzy bolts and move the dizzy around until the notch on the crank pulley line up with 18 (red) mark on the pulley.

Can I do this without removing the belt assembly cover?

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
don't buy the super cheapo HF timing light, it's nowhere near bright enough to use.

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
Cats still in just catback exhaust
Does it still work? Was it hollowed out at some point? I know some people do this for a more "free flowing" exhaust.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I installed racing headers and catback exhaust inspected both sides of cat looks present and healthy, solid cat, honeycomb structure appears to be fine, I installed the new pipes to fix leaks mostly, after head gasket my Emmisons numbers reminded almost the same
(Limit 220/440 currently at idle) (limit 250/480 currently 2k Rpms) the test results somewhere in that range ^

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Valve Lash?

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
OMG!!!!! How do you replace a head gasket and not know what valve lash is or how to set ignition timing???????? WOW/

1 - 20 of 22 Posts