Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Civic Coupe
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i have a 1995 honda civic coupe with a stock D16z6. I have a short ram cold air intake, headers, no cat and a Greddy muffler. I was thinking about putting a more aggressive cam which will bring me a little more than stock. I plan on boosting it one day in the future just not anytime soon. I need help on the cam i should choose.:dots:

·
Registered
Civic Coupe
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ive checked out the comp cams but the ones on jegs doesnt give me any specs....im not full blown mechanic but im pretty mechanical savy...and as far as goals...maybe getting to about 190-200 whp. just on simple upgrades without getting any major work done to it...ive been thinking about getting my ecu chipped as well. I really want my vtec to kick in hard. I really appreciate the posts so far

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Ive checked out the comp cams but the ones on jegs doesnt give me any specs....im not full blown mechanic but im pretty mechanical savy...and as far as goals...maybe getting to about 190-200 whp. just on simple upgrades without getting any major work done to it...ive been thinking about getting my ecu chipped as well. I really want my vtec to kick in hard. I really appreciate the posts so far
You will never feel vtec kick in hard on a d:bigok:..... You are definitely gonna need boost to reach your goal.

·
Registered
Civic Coupe
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok...so if i was to get a cam swap how much horsepower would i gain...and if i was to boost it on an all stock engine wat psi should i stop....im not really trying to make an all out race car just yet more of a pretty strong d series. Im still new to this import world so im doin a little by little

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Question is...are you only gonna upgrade the cam and no other supporting valvetrain items (springs/retainers)? If not, you're limiting yourself to a mid-level cam (example Zex 59300) or lower.

Power increases are minimal until tuned.

·
Registered
Civic Coupe
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea i think i may end up changing all that if i was to boost it and change cams...im just gonna wait to do the bottom end in a future project....i was reading another forum that said it would be smart to get ARP head studs and upgraded head gaskets as well cause the OEMs might not hold up to the boost. So im really just making a mental note of all this to help me in the future.

·
Registered
97 civic lx
967 Posts
Studs are a good choice, but not a must. And the oem head gasket is fine. On a stock bottom end, your limited to around 220hp. The rods are the limiting factor. If your planning on turboing it, go ahead and get a turbo cam. You could run 50psi on a stock engine. As long as the synonymous doesn't read more than 220hp your good. 50psi is figuratively speaking... it depends on the turbo. 10psi on one turbo may make 50 less hp than 10psi on a deferent turbo. Psi is just pressure. How much the turbo actually flows is where it matters.

·
Registered
Civic Coupe
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So if i go turbo i need a turbo cam...got it....i think wat im gonna end up is just do a turbo setup and wen i purchase my turbo kit ill just create another thread...thank you guys for the info

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
Someone on here posted almost 300 hp on the stock cam at 20 psi but he had a built bottom end. the stock type HG is fine. And your head can flow up to 400 hp before major work needs to be done. Get the turbo setup the call delta and get your cam regound. Super cheap and a lot of guys seem to love his cams. Going there myself.

·
凸(◕_◕)凸
1,669 Posts

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
actually someone on here posted over 600whp on a stock cam and nitrous a while ago if u search for it :)
Doesn't surprise me. Our lil motors are the shit! I might be able to get away with a mostly stock top end then. Woot!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts