Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently working on getting my project 88 civic up and running. I have spent a good part of the day fighting to get it started, when i set the mechanical timing correct with the timing marks on the cam gear with the horizontal marks flush with the top of the cylinder head the car doesn't want to run (no backfires) but tries very hard to start with the distributor fully retarded. with it like that it seems like it is only a few degrees of timing away from running.

I have tried retarding and advancing the mechanical timing both 1 and 2 teeth in each direction to no avail.

car cranks fine, and has spark to all 4 cylinders, I need to check the injectors but adding starter fluid does not help so I am assuming as of now that it is not a fueling issue, fuel is verified as far as leaving the filter headed to the rail.

as it sits right now is as such

d16z6 stock head and block
stock crank
stock cam
stock cam gear
stock injectors
eagle connecting rods
vitara pistons
walboro 255 fuel pump
unmodified pr4 and p28 ecus have been used to try and start the vehicle
pr4 shows iat sensor code, p28 uses a jumper harness.

I have jumped the drivers side plug to bypass ecu timing adjustments
I have visually verified that when the crank shows tdc in regards to mechanical timing adjustments, cyl 1 is at tdc and the rotor in the distributor is pointing at cylinder 1. I have also checked the spark plug wire order many many times

Thanks in advance for all your help and suggestions

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
Are you setting it to tdc on the compression stroke?

Check the valve lash.if valves are to tight it won’t start and if to loose it won’t start.

If your using an obd0 distributor you must use an obd0 Ecu. If your using an obd1 distributor you must use an obd1 Ecu. You can’t use an obd0 Ecu with obd1 distributor

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
today I am going to start with a compression test, fuel injector test for pulse signal and I will check valve lash.

I currently have the p28 plugged in as I am using the z6 distributor with a subharness, the main reason i tried the p04 was to see if there are any codes.

and yes the setup is always done with number 1 at tdc on the compression stroke.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its a 88 civic dx I am using the obd0 injectors with resistor box

car ran before the engine swap, nothing has been done to the wiring harness other than the addition of the jumper harnesses.

I used the noid lights and I have no power at the fuel injectors. I will verify this when I come back from church with a voltmeter, but as of now there is no pulse and when I apply power the light turns on
Main relay is brand new, I have a spare as well, fuel pump turns on .

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just checked the injectors. there is no voltage to the injector pigtails, the grounds are all good. putting 12 volts to each injector I can hear them firing. injectors ohm out at 5.6 ohms.

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
Do you have power to the resistor box? Could be a blown fuse or something not plugged in.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, after some thought it dawned on me that it was most likely an ecu issue so I plugged in my pr4 and bam fuel pump turned on. So i purchased a chipped p28 and installed it with the jumper harness and no go. I did a ton of research into the obd0 to obd1 jumper harness changes, I installed it all again and started probing for power on the ecu and noticed that I had a loose wire on the ecu side of the p28 harness. tightened up the connection and I now have injector pulses as well as fuel pressure. hopefully tomorrow I will get to see if the car runs.

·
Registered
97 EJ6 boosted D16Z6
1,079 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts