Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
D16z6 build NEED CONFIDENCE!!!
Well, as the subject says, I think at this point I just need confidence and some advice to start the project!
I have a 93 delsol with a D16Z6 motor. It has about 220,000 miles, no air, manual etc. I want to add turbo but I want to do it right and as a phase 1 project, want to rebuild the engine, break it in real good, then phase 2 add turbo.
I’ve done a lot of car work before: clutches, head gasket, intake many, exhaust swap, etc. when I was 12 my dad and I rebuilt a the head of an engine my mom drove around with no coolant lol… so I have some experience, not a noob. Also I have a son who’s 10 and want to have a project with him. But anyway, I’ve never rebuilt the bottom end before and am new to turbo etc. but here’s the plan:
Phase 1:
New vitara pistons, custom I beam rods from fjdistributors.com
ACL bearing kit, arp bolts, oil pump, new seals, Ferrea 6000 valves, sachs flywheel (factory weight) competition clutch stage 3 clutch kit.
I plan on taking the block and head apart, cleaning, taking it to a machinist, having them check it, hone the block, cut the valve seats, whatever is needed. I found a guy that is highly recommended for this and has quoted me great prices.
I guess, as I said, I’m just not sure of all the “surprises” that can come up. I’m worried about wrecking the motor by missing some small detail. In all the reading I’ve done it seems like a job people can do if they’re just meticulous and pay very close attention to details etc. I plan on taking TONS of pictures as I tear down so I have references for reassembly etc. I have hanes and chiltons and have been pouring over them in addition to all the great stuff on this forum.
Any advice, warnings, heads up, tips, confidence builders (LOL) would be MUCH appreciated!
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Welcome to the site. There are TONS of guys on here that know there stuff and are more than willing to help dont be afraid of the search button. get some pics up of the project.

·
Registered
2002civic coupe
213 Posts
Can't wait on the pics. Sounds like you got the plan. You should do great and I bet the lil man will enjoy it too. Welcome to the site

·
Registered
487 Posts
Did you get std size vitaras or 75.5mm ones? Reason I'm asking is because usually with 220k miles the bores are MOST likely going to be out of round. My 260K block did and the machine shop wouldn't touch it IF I didn't bore it over. Told me it'd be a waste of time as the rings won't seal correctly.

When it comes to assembly, as long as you are within the factory specs with your clearances it should run no problem.

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
grab a set of vitars and a d16y8 head. shave the head a little to increase compression, refresh the head with new valve seals, cleaning, and a valve lash adjustment

pop it in with a regrind from colt, delta, or bisimoto that is in the turbo flavor

tune the setup and break 2500 miles or so.

then buy a mild turbo like a T25 (less then $400) and tune to the flavor of 250-270whp with a good downpipe and 2.5 inch exhaust.

enjoy a nice decently-responsive setup that will blow 90% of factory cars away

EDIT by the way, even without the turbo, the suggested setup above will be more powerful then your stock d16z6 even if it was young and had no miles

·
Registered
90 CRX
1,054 Posts
I recommend taking the head completely apart. I mean valve train and everything. The little tubes that hold the cam followers tend to collect gunk from over mileage oil changes, or just using shit oil. They will clog, starve the top end of oil, snap cam, and you will never know why. Things can look clean on the outside, but they need to be cleaned on the inside as well. And it's a good learning experience if you leave a wave washer out, or miss a step, because then you get to start all over on putting the valve train back together. Chilton's manuals have exploded views.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts