Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 crx si
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as some of you know i have a 88 crx si that i'm looking to build for the first time. Ive been looking for a motor and came apon a d16z6 vtec and decided this is what i want to put in my car but there is only one problem im new to the whole engine buld thing and i'm not sure what to put in the motor and also im not sure what i will all need for the swap. Does anybody have any helpful tips and ideas on what i should do?

·
Registered
681 Posts
The most helpful thing you can do is search do lots of research before you buy anything. Alot of bolt-on's will do more harm then good to the power band with out other supporting mods. Also take your time mistakes can and often happen when you rush into things.

·
Registered
97 civic lx
967 Posts
The first thing you should do, is take it apart. The whole thing. Then look at all of it. Put it all back together, and spin the crank. If it spins freely, take it back apart. At this point, you Deside how you want to build it.

·
Registered
88 crx si
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found a rebuild superkut on fj distributor which includes all compleste gaskets and seals, pistons, valves, valve springs, retainers and more. Right now i have the head and it looks like its in good condition. Hopefully i can take the valve springs and a couple of other things out today.

·
Registered
12 Posts
there is a lot of things that come into play when building a motor... first off you want to know what would be your power goal, then like baajaa said take the motor apart and put it back together, if the crank spins freely ur ready to start building it... dont go in ebay and buy the first set of pistons you find... do ur homework on weather you need a part or u want a part... most people spend extra $ on things they dont really need for their set-up... the swap should be simple and easy.. find someone near you that KNOWS what they r doing so they can keep an eye on ur work. also remember that what ever your set-up is, always double check your work... no matter if your only putting a header on or ur fully building it... CHECK CHECK and CHECK your work... the most important thing is to be organize with the tools you use and the bolts,nuts,etc that you take off the motor...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts