Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1997 civic hx
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a d16z6 that im bringing to the machine shop tomorrow to get decked and honed. My question is whats size are the 75mm vitara pistons in inches(some people say vitaras are 74.55mm) and what would be the max size(inches) of the bore i could have with out running to problems like blow by? Also would it be safe to get the block decked .025" with vitaras and fjr spec rods and would there be any timing belt tensioner issues?

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
why do you want to deck the block when the pistons are only going to be .002 in the hole?

if you are worried about PTW get 75.5's and specify your PTW clearances to the shop. otherwise just run the pistons and stop worrying yourself. it will work fine.

·
Registered
1997 civic hx
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just wanted to raise the compression a little so its like a stock motor out of boost

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
get the head decked if that is your goal, not the block, since the pistons sit flush already.

what head gasket thickness are you going with?

the heavy forged rods will still make the engine feel a bit sluggish but not too bad.

FarmYard on here has a D16Y8 FJT I beam/Vitara 75mm std bore build, ran 14.7 @ 89mph the one and only time it went to the track (last day of the year, just had the motor together...) and that was on a fairly crude and rushed street tune.

its hard to tune when your driver is afraid to take it to 8000rpm, even in 3rd!! darin you are a sissy!

·
Registered
1997 civic hx
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im probly going to be using a oem honda .037 3 layer head gasket and my head has just been built so id rather just mill the block

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
why dont u get a .027 head gasket instead?

go ahead a mill the block, but the pistons are going to stick out of the deck, and you wont even notice the difference.

·
Registered
1997 civic hx
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess a could get a .027 head gasket and will i run into any problems piston to valve clearence if i get it decked .025? Also i have a zex 59300 cam.

·
Registered
95 civic ex coupe
3,862 Posts
why do u need to deck it .25?

why not just go .10 on the block and .10 on the head to make everything flat

·
Registered
1997 civic hx
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
if i get the block decked .025 it will bring my compression to 8:97:1 and im already bring the block to the machine shop to get honed

·
Registered
95 civic ex coupe
3,862 Posts
the more you shave the looser your timing belt will be

·
Registered
2001 chevy s10
64 Posts
are you gunna turbo the motor. from what i understand you wanna keep the compresion low if you turbo then you can run more boost with less problems... im goin through the same thing right now i got a d15z block vitara pistons and a d16y8 head but im slappin a t3 on my car...

·
Registered
1997 civic hx
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I decided to not deck the block because the built head i bought was alreadly milled .010"

·
Registered
95 civic ex coupe
3,862 Posts
are you gunna turbo the motor. from what i understand you wanna keep the compresion low if you turbo then you can run more boost with less problems... im goin through the same thing right now i got a d15z block vitara pistons and a d16y8 head but im slappin a t3 on my car...
thats not always true, low compression=less tq=less power out of boost

my d15z1/z6 head was fun but it was around 8:1 compression and didnt really go anywhere until i got into boost, then it moved

the higher compression you are the more power you will make with less boost

1 - 14 of 14 Posts