Honda D Series Forum banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
580 Posts
Could you explain why you're using the EK engine harness? You say you're running the CRX cabin harness, your OBD0 engine harness would plug into this and you wouldn't have to swap any plugs or sensors.

I would only run the EK engine harness if you had planned on keeping the EK cabin harness and running a conversion harness between the ECU plugs on the EK cabin harness so that you can plug the PM7 ECU into it.

I don't understand what you call "conversion harness".
It's just a cleaner alternative to cutting your plugs off and rewiring new plugs on. It's an adapter that you can buy that allows you to plug (for example) the EK cabin harness into your PM7 ECU.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Could you explain why you're using the EK engine harness? You say you're running the CRX cabin harness, your OBD0 engine harness would plug into this and you wouldn't have to swap any plugs or sensors.

I would only run the EK engine harness if you had planned on keeping the EK cabin harness and running a conversion harness between the ECU plugs on the EK cabin harness so that you can plug the PM7 ECU into it.

It's just a cleaner alternative to cutting your plugs off and rewiring new plugs on. It's an adapter that you can buy that allows you to plug (for example) the EK cabin harness into your PM7 ECU.
Yes, I'm running CRX cabin harness AND EK cabin harness. Else it would be nearly impossible to do something with it. I would be forced to change my ignition switch and buy under dash CRX fuse box. Would be even more problems. That's why currently I'm running both EK and CRX engine and cabin harness. I know, I'll have lots of trouble while hiding harnesses, but that's not a problem at the moment.

Main reason why I'm using EK engine harness is this plug (random picture from google). Everything what's the most important goes through it.

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
580 Posts
Yes, I'm running CRX cabin harness AND EK cabin harness. Else it would be nearly impossible to do something with it. I would be forced to change my ignition switch and buy under dash CRX fuse box. Would be even more problems. That's why currently I'm running both EK and CRX engine and cabin harness. I know, I'll have lots of trouble while hiding harnesses, but that's not a problem at the moment.

Main reason why I'm using EK engine harness is this plug (random picture from google). Everything what's the most important goes through it.
The majority of the wires in that plug (the big round one on the CRX harness) go straight to the ECU. Why don't you plug your OBD0 engine harness into that plug on the CRX cabin harness? You could keep your ignition wiring on the EK plug if you wanted to. You wouldn't have to splice every one of the ECU wires into the EK cabin harness that way, and all your engine harness would plug straight into the motor.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
The majority of the wires in that plug (the big round one on the CRX harness) go straight to the ECU. Why don't you plug your OBD0 engine harness into that plug on the CRX cabin harness? You could keep your ignition wiring on the EK plug if you wanted to. You wouldn't have to splice every one of the ECU wires into the EK cabin harness that way, and all your engine harness would plug straight into the motor.
As I said- all OBD-0 wires are plugged in as they should be. Without EK wires even starter doesn't spin (obviously, because round plug on EK is not being used and I've already said how important it is).

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
580 Posts
As I said- all OBD-0 wires are plugged in as they should be.
Do you have continuity between the ECU and the engine harness at the moment? I don't understand how you have done this if you're using the EK engine harness. How have you connected the ECU so that it is connected to the engine harness?

The big round connector on the OBD0 cabin harness needs to be connected to the engine harness somehow for your ECU to work. I would suggest using the OBD0 engine harness so that it just plugs in. This is the majority of the ECU's functions that will make the make the car run.

The rectangular connector on the OBD0 engine harness is responsible for your starter signal, grounds, ignition power, charging (from memory... Double check the wiring schematic) . You need to splice this into your EK cabin harness. This is needed to make the car crank.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #86 (Edited)
Do you have continuity between the ECU and the engine harness at the moment? I don't understand how you have done this if you're using the EK engine harness. How have you connected the ECU so that it is connected to the engine harness?

The big round connector on the OBD0 cabin harness needs to be connected to the engine harness somehow for your ECU to work. I would suggest using the OBD0 engine harness so that it just plugs in. This is the majority of the ECU's functions that will make the make the car run.

The rectangular connector on the OBD0 engine harness is responsible for your starter signal, grounds, ignition power, charging (from memory... Double check the wiring schematic) . You need to splice this into your EK cabin harness. This is needed to make the car crank.
I'll check continuity when I find some spare time (and actually find multimeter)

I'm currently using EK and CRX harnesses (BOTH engine and cabin). EK engine harness is plugged into dizzy, VSS and starter, nowhere else. CRX engine harness is connected to the engine (sensors, injectors, resistor box, alternator. 3 wires goes into CRX under-hood fuse box).

my obd-0 ecu seems to be working fine. As I said before, it throws ecu fault codes! 😂
I assume that ecu which does not work would not do it when something is wrong.

crx engine>crx engine harness> crx cabin harness>obd0 ecu. that's how it is connected.
how by logic it is supposed to work without ek harness if nothing else is plugged into ignition switch? CIVIC EK: wires from ignition switch goes to under-dash fuse box ant then round plug through firewall goes into the engine bay, then connects into engine harness where most important wires goes into VSS, starter, injectors (in my case they're not being used) and dizzy.

how should I plug in the VSS without EK engine harness?
so basically I should splice round EK plug into square one on CRX engine harness, shouldn't I? (square plug covered in brown rubber)

as I said, every part of CRX engine harness is connected into CRX cabin harness, which is connected into OBD-0 ecu

P.S. as I'm trying to explain current situation, everything comes a little bit clearer by each sentence I write down, I just don't know how to express my thoughts because of the tiny language barrier.
the most important question is how do I send ignition switch signals without using the EK engine harness? this is my main issue. I've tried to solve my problems by studying ignition schemes, but nothing came into my mind.

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
580 Posts
so basically I should splice round EK plug into square one on CRX engine harness, shouldn't I? (square plug covered in brown rubber)
Yep, start doing this.

how should I plug in the VSS without EK engine harness?
You need to run the EK's electronic VSS in your gearbox. Compare the drive gear on the end of the VSS after you remove both the mechanical (CRX one) and electronic (EK) ones from your gearboxes. If they're different sizes you can swap the shaft/gear over from your mechanical VSS to the electronic one.

You'll need the VSS plug off the EK harness, the black wire needs to be grounded (splice into an existing ground), the black/yellow wire is switched power from the fuse box, and the blue/white wire needs to be wired into the CRX cabin loom (check the wiring diagrams for the speed signal wire that goes from the cluster to the ECU). Note that this wire needs to be connected to both the cluster and the ECU.

P.S. as I'm trying to explain current situation, everything comes a little bit clearer by each sentence I write down, I just don't know how to express my thoughts because of the tiny language barrier.
the most important question is how do I send ignition switch signals without using the EK engine harness? this is my main issue. I've tried to solve my problems by studying ignition schemes, but nothing came into my mind.
You're doing fine. look at getting rid of the EK engine harness by using the wiring that runs through the CRX's square plug.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
You need to run the EK's electronic VSS in your gearbox. Compare the drive gear on the end of the VSS after you remove both the mechanical (CRX one) and electronic (EK) ones from your gearboxes. If they're different sizes you can swap the shaft/gear over from your mechanical VSS to the electronic one.

You'll need the VSS plug off the EK harness, the black wire needs to be grounded (splice into an existing ground), the black/yellow wire is switched power from the fuse box, and the blue/white wire needs to be wired into the CRX cabin loom (check the wiring diagrams for the speed signal wire that goes from the cluster to the ECU). Note that this wire needs to be connected to both the cluster and the ECU.
I only have electronic one, because I'm using D5F gearbox (the one that came with D16Y7 engine).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
I might have bad news for myself...
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

Based on google pictures this is an immobilizer, isn't it? If so, maybe someone has any ideas how to bypass it?

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
580 Posts
Yeah that's an immobilizer. They were a European thing (US/JDM didn't have them). Depending on how your running your interior harness, it might not matter.

You said your starter is currently turning the motor over? I think those early immobilizers would prevent the starter solenoid from engaging if they weren't happy, so it sounds like you're not having a problem with it yet.

If you map out the plugs (wire colour/pin location) i can take a look to see if i've got a schematic for it if that helps.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Yeah that's an immobilizer. They were a European thing (US/JDM didn't have them). Depending on how your running your interior harness, it might not matter.

You said your starter is currently turning the motor over? I think those early immobilizers would prevent the starter solenoid from engaging if they weren't happy, so it sounds like you're not having a problem with it yet.

If you map out the plugs (wire colour/pin location) i can take a look to see if i've got a schematic for it if that helps.
Yup, starter turns over without any problem.
I hope this is what I needed to do. Female side, plug holes are facing away.

I managed to find something similar on the internet, but wire colors were different.

81 - 92 of 92 Posts