Honda D Series Forum banner

61 - 80 of 92 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #61
The EG Si in Australia used the OBD1 DOHC ZC with that distributor. That's where i got mine from. Also the JDM EG received a DOHC ZC also. You've just got to be careful, because some markets had EG Si's that were SOHC.

You can still use your OBD0 harness (which i think is the right way to go - because your injectors will still be OBD0 and you need the resistor box to still be wired in), but you will need an OBD0-OBD1 distributor wiring adapter if you're not comfortable modifying the wiring yourself.

Jlicrx has already mentioned the things you'll notice are different if you use your OBD-0 harness. For those bits you'll either need to swap the sensor/part or the plug on the harness to suit.

If you've already got the OBD-0 harness, use that.
It's all good with the distributor. I'll get what I need.
OBD-2 injectors would be easily usable. I would need to get rid of resistor box, which is easy.
Going with OBD-0 engine harness seems a little complicated...but OK. If I get any kind of information on converting everything to OBD-1- I'll do it. I'm blank page of paper now 馃槀 Just don't want to miss anything while planning my swap step by step.

Swapping plugs on the harness would be the most understandable way for me. Of course, I'd need wiring information where most of you going to tell me to use manuals. Most of the times sensor's plug has uneven number of wires compared to each over (especially compared OBD-0 and OBD-2) and everything seems undoable, that's why I want help.

Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
You just need to be more specific to be able to get the help you want. Why are you talking about swapping to OBD2 plugs? If your motor is OBD0 and your loom is OBD0 and your ECU is OBD1, I don't understand what sensors are OBD2.

I thought you already had a running OBD0 motor and loom which is why i would have stayed with OBD0 injectors. Where did the OBD2 injectors come from? Why do you want to use them?

I've got two DOHC ZC's that i'm running, Both were originally OBD0, one i've converted to OBD1 and one that's still OBD0. Both are using a mix of OBD0 and OBD1 sensors, it's not a big deal. If you get stuck on a sensor, post a photo of it and ask for help. Chances are you should be able to figure it out with the wiring diagrams i sent through to you though.

Registered
Discussion Starter #63
You just need to be more specific to be able to get the help you want. Why are you talking about swapping to OBD2 plugs? If your motor is OBD0 and your loom is OBD0 and your ECU is OBD1, I don't understand what sensors are OBD2.

I thought you already had a running OBD0 motor and loom which is why i would have stayed with OBD0 injectors. Where did the OBD2 injectors come from? Why do you want to use them?

I've got two DOHC ZC's that i'm running, Both were originally OBD0, one i've converted to OBD1 and one that's still OBD0. Both are using a mix of OBD0 and OBD1 sensors, it's not a big deal. If you get stuck on a sensor, post a photo of it and ask for help. Chances are you should be able to figure it out with the wiring diagrams i sent through to you though.
Because other member told me not to use OBD-0 engine harness and use stock alternator that came on my D16Y7. I assume he wanted me to use OBD-2 engine harness. :unsure:

I'd use my stock D16Y7 injectors. I know they're a little too weak for Z5. I just want to make my engine crank, other modifications would come later to make everything flawless.

In what cars are you running those engines? Because you let me think that they were OBD-1 originally. Swapping OBD-0 engine to OBD-1 car would not be that big of a deal

Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
They're both EF's. One was OBD0 PGMFI and i converted to OBD1, the other is PGM carb that i'm converting to EFI.

There's more than one way to achieve what you're doing, so some of the info might be conflicting.

You should dive in and give it a go, and then ask questions if/when you get stuck. Install the motor, lay the harness you want to use over the motor and see what you need to modify.

Registered
Discussion Starter #65
They're both EF's. One was OBD0 PGMFI and i converted to OBD1, the other is PGM carb that i'm converting to EFI.

There's more than one way to achieve what you're doing, so some of the info might be conflicting.

You should dive in and give it a go, and then ask questions if/when you get stuck. Install the motor, lay the harness you want to use over the motor and see what you need to modify.
If it is possible to convert OBD-2 dizzy to OBD-1 and OBD-1 dizzy to OBD-0, is it possible to convert OBD-0 dizzy into OBD-2 and make it work using OBD-0 cabin and engine harness + OBD-0 ecu?

I'm asking that because I'm planning splicing my OBD-0 dizzy into OBD-2 harness (kind of hard to explain). It might get me spark, because I'm getting fault code 15 (ignition output signal)

Registered
Discussion Starter #66
If it is possible to convert OBD-2 dizzy to OBD-1 and OBD-1 dizzy to OBD-0, is it possible to convert OBD-0 dizzy into OBD-2 and make it work using OBD-0 cabin and engine harness + OBD-0 ecu?

I'm asking that because I'm planning splicing my OBD-0 dizzy into OBD-2 harness (kind of hard to explain). It might get me spark, because I'm getting fault code 15 (ignition output signal)
I'm reading my post again and it sounds confusing 馃槀 Actually don't know how to ask it in more understandable way. I'll try to say what I want to do in different words.

I have stock dizzy on my Z5. It's not spliced into stock OBD-2 harness, so I get fault code 15. If i splice OBD-0 dizzy into OBD-2 dizzy plug/harness...would I get spark?

Registered
Discussion Starter #68
Match the dizzy OBD to the ECU OBD. How you connect the two wont matter (harnesses are just wires). You just need to make sure the wires are going to the right pin locations and sensors at each end.
Just as I thought. Thanks. I'll try to do that as soon as I feel better (it's still cold in my area and getting sick is dangerous nowadays).

Registered
Discussion Starter #69 (Edited)
UPDATE

Spliced my dizzy into Y7 engine harness and ecu code 15 is gone. Now ecu gives code 1, which is o2 sensor (it's not plugged in, so it's normal). I spotted a weird thing: everyone on youtube shows that their OBD-0 dizzy has 2 round plugs. My dizzy has only 1 round plug (the one with 2 wires) and other is more like square AND has 2 wires less than they show. It doesn't have blue/green and blue/yellow wires.

Fuel pump does not work as well. Main relay ticks exactly like it used to do when my car was running.

Any ideas?

P.S. just now I realized that map sensor was not plugged in. Could it be the issue?

Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
UPDATE

Spliced my dizzy into Y7 engine harness and ecu code 15 is gone. Now ecu gives code 1, which is o2 sensor (it's not plugged in, so it's normal). I spotted a weird thing: everyone on youtube shows that their OBD-0 dizzy has 2 round plugs. My dizzy has only 1 round plug (the one with 2 wires) and other is more like square AND has 2 wires less than they show. It doesn't have blue/green and blue/yellow wires.

Fuel pump does not work as well. Main relay ticks exactly like it used to do when my car was running.

Any ideas?

P.S. just now I realized that map sensor was not plugged in. Could it be the issue?
Having your MAP sensor not plugged in will not effect your fuel pump. Your description isn't clear, does the Fuel pump run? You should hear the main relay click when the pump switches on/off (when the pump primes the fuel system on IGN 2 for example) but while the car (and fuel pump) is running the relay should not click.

Here's my OBD0 DOHC ZC dizzy plugs for your reference.

Registered
Discussion Starter #73
Having your MAP sensor not plugged in will not effect your fuel pump. Your description isn't clear, does the Fuel pump run? You should hear the main relay click when the pump switches on/off (when the pump primes the fuel system on IGN 2 for example) but while the car (and fuel pump) is running the relay should not click.

Here's my OBD0 DOHC ZC dizzy plugs for your reference.

View attachment 136008

View attachment 136009
fuel pump does not run. Only main relay ticks (just wanted to assume that relay works)
My dizzy plugs are the same, but I can't find any information how to convert those to any obd. Only found how to convert round ones which have 7+2 wires instead of 5+2. Since fault code is gone i think that I converted it correctly. But it's still not clear why my fuel pump is not working

Registered
fuel pump does not run. Only main relay ticks (just wanted to assume that relay works)
My dizzy plugs are the same, but I can't find any information how to convert those to any obd. Only found how to convert round ones which have 7+2 wires instead of 5+2. Since fault code is gone i think that I converted it correctly. But it's still not clear why my fuel pump is not working
DizzyConn.jpg

Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
Why are you converting them to any OBD? The dizzy is already OBD0 and you're staying OBD0. I'm pretty sure i sent you wiring diagrams, to check you've converted it correctly do a continuity test between the dizzy and the ECU plugs.

Does the fuel relay click on when the car primes on IGN 2 and then click back off 2 seconds later?

Registered
Discussion Starter #78 (Edited)
Why are you converting them to any OBD? The dizzy is already OBD0 and you're staying OBD0. I'm pretty sure i sent you wiring diagrams, to check you've converted it correctly do a continuity test between the dizzy and the ECU plugs.

Does the fuel relay click on when the car primes on IGN 2 and then click back off 2 seconds later?
Let's make sure we are talking about same thing. MAIN RELAY does exact thing you said.

Because I need to convert it. On 6gen civic is a round plug that looks similar to obd2 dizzy plug. It connects cabin harness to engine harness, which later on goes into dizzy, VSS, starter and so on. I don't see any other way to make my engine work, I must use my old engine harness, because it sends signal into dizzy. That's why I put obd2 dizzy connector plug on obd0 dizzy and plugged it in EK engine harness. If you know better way- share with me, I'm more than pleased to hear other methods

Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
Let's make sure we are talking about same thing. MAIN RELAY does exact thing you said.
That's good news. Pull the connector out of the fuel pump and stick a test light in it. Make sure it lights up when you switch to IGN 2.

Because I need to convert it. On 6gen civic is a round plug that looks similar to obd2 dizzy plug. It connects cabin harness to engine harness, which later on goes into dizzy, VSS, starter and so on. I don't see any other way to make my engine work, I must use my old engine harness, because it sends signal into dizzy. That's why I put obd2 dizzy connector plug on obd0 dizzy and plugged it in EK engine harness. If you know better way- share with me, I'm more than pleased to hear other methods
I just wasn't sure what your plan was, as i mentioned there are lots of ways to do this. Your way could work. What are you using to convert the cabin harness to run the PM7 ECU?

Just to be clear, you're running the PM7 ECU, a conversion harness to your EK cabin harness, the EK engine harness and you're converting the plugs to suit your OBD0 motor?

Registered
Discussion Starter #80
I just wasn't sure what your plan was, as i mentioned there are lots of ways to do this. Your way could work. What are you using to convert the cabin harness to run the PM7 ECU?

Just to be clear, you're running the PM7 ECU, a conversion harness to your EK cabin harness, the EK engine harness and you're converting the plugs to suit your OBD0 motor?
I don't understand what you call "conversion harness". I've only converter a dizzy's plug to fit OBD-2 engine harness.
I'm running PM7 ecu, which is plugged into crx cabin harness (I know, lots of redundant wiring, I will find how to hide that mess). The crx cabin harness is spliced into EK cabin harness harness (crx and ek main relay wires are spliced into each other) and it makes ecu and main relay work. Ofc crx engine harness and crx cabin harness are both connected into each other. Also running crx under-hood fuse box.
I put an OBD-2 connector plug on OBD-0 dizzy ang plugged it into EK engine harness .Don't know if needed, but dizzy is NOT spliced into crx engine harness where dizzy wires should go. I guess it's all good since signal is being sent by EK ignition switch into OBD-0 dizzy

This is messed up, so feel free to ask again if something isn't clear. I can try to post pics if needed.

At this point I could actually get rid of bunch of redundant wiring. I could adapt a few sensors (if i find information) to go with EK engine harness, plug in my old EK injectors and alternator. In this case I would need to get programmable OBD-1 ecu and put Z5 maps in it (not a big deal), obd2 to obd1 conversion harness and get TD43U dizzy from ebay, which is nearly impossible nowadays.
I'd go directly this way, but I'm not sure if it is going to work. I know I'd spend like 200-250 bucks on everything, which is big money for me at the moment, since I'm doing a college required internship and I'm not getting paid. Even getting job at this point would be impossible, since a day has only 24 hours.

61 - 80 of 92 Posts