Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I've read all of the topics about DOHC ZC engine in ek civic. I found the only answer that converting it to obd-1 would work. I have a different situation.

D16Z5 is already in my ek. It has all of the engine obd-0 wiring, obd-0 dizzy. Also I have interrior wires from CRX that are also obd-0, resistor box, main crx fuse box and PM-7 ecu. I want my car to be obd-0, because I wouldn't need to buy any more parts (guess so).

What would be the best way to make my swap work?

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
493 Posts
Unless you want to pull the ECU wiring out of the CRX cabin harness, you're going to have a lot of redundant wiring. You could get the motor running by using the CRX cabin harness, plugging in the OBD0 engine harness and splicing the few wires that will need to go into the EK cabin harness (main relay signal, VSS, a few for dash warning lights, cooling fan ... there's a few others power and grounds etc)... But that's how i would do it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unless you want to pull the ECU wiring out of the CRX cabin harness, you're going to have a lot of redundant wiring. You could get the motor running by using the CRX cabin harness, plugging in the OBD0 engine harness and splicing the few wires that will need to go into the EK cabin harness (main relay signal, VSS, a few for dash warning lights, cooling fan ... there's a few others power and grounds etc)... But that's how i would do it.
I like your idea. Maybe you could give me your facebook (just PM me) for further conversation? I just don't know which wires I need, because CRX cabin harness has lots of useless connectors that are not needed for cranking up the engine, so I do need lots of help

·
Registered
08 H-D Ultra Classic
985 Posts

·
Registered
08 H-D Ultra Classic
985 Posts
I highly doubt a faulty fan was to blame for the engine failure I have seen the "D" series take some abuse and not blow it could have been a factor in it but likely didn't solely cause the failure.
Why not fix it correctly? To me having to remember to switch on a fan once you reach temp isn't optimal and is easily forgotten.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I highly doubt a faulty fan was to blame for the engine failure I have seen the "D" series take some abuse and not blow it could have been a factor in it but likely didn't solely cause the failure.
Why not fix it correctly? To me having to remember to switch on a fan once you reach temp isn't optimal and is easily forgotten.
FOR YOU it's easily forgotten. I won't forget. The button is going to light up when fan is on, so it's going to be ok. Nothing personal, sorry if I'm too rude, but trust me, in this situation I'll be fine and that's definitely not a problem I should focus on.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FIRST OF ALL I NEED TO MAKE MY CAR RUN. That's the issue. I can fix later all of the accessories. I posted my issue and I do want to know the answers how to make my swap work. It was the only option I could get, so D16Z5 is currently in my EK. I don't know how to separate the correct wires I need from the CRX cabin cables. Should I just pull out all of the wires that are attached to ECU plugs and it will be enough?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe someone knows which ignition switch wires and where should I splice? Or I can do it just by color?

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
493 Posts
I like your idea. Maybe you could give me your facebook (just PM me) for further conversation? I just don't know which wires I need, because CRX cabin harness has lots of useless connectors that are not needed for cranking up the engine, so I do need lots of help
Honestly, I would need to do what you would have to do, and that's to pull up the wiring diagrams for both cars and work out which wires will cross over between harnesses. There's a lot of work involved with mapping this out, once you get a jump on it and have specific questions that you can't figure out, post them up here.

You can separate the engine harness (which runs through the cabin harness on the CRX harness) from the cabin harness, so you wont have redundant connectors. As i mentioned, there's only a few wires that you'll need to splice into the EK harness.

Oh, and by the way, I've already made manual radiator fan switch just for fun :3dbiggrin:
:wacko:

Should I just pull out all of the wires that are attached to ECU plugs and it will be enough?
Pretty much. The ones that don't lead to the engine harness, you'll need to figure out what it does and splice it into the EK harness.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Honestly, I would need to do what you would have to do, and that's to pull up the wiring diagrams for both cars and work out which wires will cross over between harnesses. There's a lot of work involved with mapping this out, once you get a jump on it and have specific questions that you can't figure out, post them up here.

You can separate the engine harness (which runs through the cabin harness on the CRX harness) from the cabin harness, so you wont have redundant connectors. As i mentioned, there's only a few wires that you'll need to splice into the EK harness.
The worst part is that reading from diagrams is not my cup of tea. I don't know where should I look for information about CRX cabin harness plugs (I know some of them, but definitely not all). Basically where I need help is ignition switch wiring and information about all plugs. I hope someone will help me out :ugh:

·
Registered
Prelude, Integra DB9
358 Posts
I do think you'll need to refer to diagrams at some stage. Getting somebody else to talk through it at the car might help.

In theory, the alternative would be for a series of photos covered in descriptive text. Even then, the picture is unlikely to look like the bundle of wires you're faced with now, so I'd forget that option.

If you're patient and methodical you'll get there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I do think you'll need to refer to diagrams at some stage. Getting somebody else to talk through it at the car might help.

In theory, the alternative would be for a series of photos covered in descriptive text. Even then, the picture is unlikely to look like the bundle of wires you're faced with now, so I'd forget that option.

If you're patient and methodical you'll get there.
As I know myself, it would be enough to know what each plug does on CRX cabin harness. In this case I would know which plugs I need and which I don't and it's a big step in my progress.

Later on I would look for ignition switch wiring and get that done with someone's help

·
Registered
08 H-D Ultra Classic
985 Posts
FOR YOU it's easily forgotten. I won't forget. The button is going to light up when fan is on, so it's going to be ok. Nothing personal, sorry if I'm too rude, but trust me, in this situation I'll be fine and that's definitely not a problem I should focus on.
You are missing the point I'm making, YOU did not fix the fan correctly so what makes YOU think you can wire a car?

:tank:

Now why are you wanting to make an EK OBD-O
Why not drop in what ever engine you have and purchase the correct items to make it work.
With a tune-able ECU you could also get around a few demons that pop up.
If you plan on making a custom wiring harness you will need the need wiring diagrams for both cars to be able to combine them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You are missing the point I'm making, YOU did not fix the fan correctly so what makes YOU think you can wire a car?

Now why are you wanting to make an EK OBD-O
Why not drop in what ever engine you have and purchase the correct items to make it work.
With a tune-able ECU you could also get around a few demons that pop up.
If you plan on making a custom wiring harness you will need the need wiring diagrams for both cars to be able to combine them.
I made my fan the way I wanted Ofc, I could make it "the correct" way, but I want to make it manual. Let's end the fan topic.

I'm making it obd-0, because I have PM7 ecu. I'm not planning to tune it or anything. It is going to be my daily car. I just want to put CRX heart into EK body. That's pretty rare.

I don't have any spare money to make a better build, since I'm college student. I can't afford to buy any more parts, so obd-0 is the best option to me, since I have PM7 and CRX obd-0 parts, including cabin harness.

That's my story :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's not enough to just find out what the plugs do, you'll need to become intimately familiar with what each wire does.

If you're not good with wiring, probably better off finding a motor that you can just drop in.
No money for new motor, as I told :))

I know how to work with wires, I only need to know which wires I need to connect. That's why I'm trying to look for help in this forum. If I would know what should I connect- I wouldn't ask anything here.

From a diagram I managed to read how to connect starter to a new motor (blk/wht wire from starter relay's pin 30 should connect to a starter), but that's it. I don't know what to do with the ignition, because I'm not very good at these diagrams.

·
Registered
08 H-D Ultra Classic
985 Posts
No money for new motor, as I told :))

I know how to work with wires, I only need to know which wires I need to connect. That's why I'm trying to look for help in this forum. If I would know what should I connect- I wouldn't ask anything here.

From a diagram I managed to read how to connect starter to a new motor (blk/wht wire from starter relay's pin 30 should connect to a starter), but that's it. I don't know what to do with the ignition, because I'm not very good at these diagrams.
Pick one :poke:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts