Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i was goin to go with a NA engine but its been alittle complicated for me. i want to have a solid motor to add a turbo to. right now it's stock. and i'm looking for any ideas on how i should go about this. i know what order i should do things in just don't know what to get or brands to go with. i'm open to any ideas.

o and i know i'm goin to have to upgrade the tranny any info on that would help too.

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
basically you need rods, and pistons to make you bottom end stronger. I would look at some forged pistons such as arias, JE, SPR, or Wiseco. SRP is prolly the cheapest set of forged you can get, but if you dont want to go forged you could always look into suzuki vitara pistons.

As for rods, you can look into crower, eagle, or Tunertoys. Tuner toys is by far the most inexpensive and may or may not require modification to fit to the pitson properly. If you have good machining skills, i highly reccomend TT rods. Great company and great products.

You should also look into apr 2000 rod bolts, which usually come with the eagles. I think they may also come with the TT rods , but i am not sure. The crower rods come with crower rod bolts which are just as good as the arp.

Also, you will need to buy apr head stud to eliminate the probablility of head lift.

& its always a good idea to get some acl or oem rod and main bearing kits

That is basically it. Just research the forum a bit. There is tons of info on here about this exact topic.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
basically you need rods, and pistons to make you bottom end stronger. I would look at some forged pistons such as arias, JE, SPR, or Wiseco. SRP is prolly the cheapest set of forged you can get, but if you dont want to go forged you could always look into suzuki vitara pistons.

As for rods, you can look into crower, eagle, or Tunertoys. Tuner toys is by far the most inexpensive and may or may not require modification to fit to the pitson properly. If you have good machining skills, i highly reccomend TT rods. Great company and great products.

You should also look into apr 2000 rod bolts, which usually come with the eagles. I think they may also come with the TT rods , but i am not sure. The crower rods come with crower rod bolts which are just as good as the arp.

Also, you will need to buy apr head stud to eliminate the probablility of head lift.

That is basically it. Just research the forum a bit. There is tons of info on here about this exact topic.
thanks for the help. i appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

x1 million on searching for info...

TT rods don't come w/ ARP2000 bolts

what are your power goals? If you only want ~200whp, then you can just turbo the stock block and save a LOT of money, but if you want more like 300whp; then you're tearing the block apart.

DEFINATLY look into the vitaras before you buy pistons; they are tried and true for a LOT of power for the money....

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts

what are your power goals? If you only want ~200whp, then you can just turbo the stock block and save a LOT of money, but if you want more like 300whp; then you're tearing the block apart.

DEFINATLY look into the vitaras before you buy pistons; they are tried and true for a LOT of power for the money....
Thanks for clearing the TT rod and arp bolt thing up. I couldnt remember if they came with them or not....... I appreciate that!!!

I just wanted to add a little to what you said:

If you are going to run stock block and shoot for 200whp, just be sure to do one main thing. TUNE the piss out of it so it will last!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also check out turbod16.com They have alot of good info there also and alot of the members from d-series are also members there.

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts
but this is not good:
THE D-SERIES RODS ARE CURRENTLY OUT OF STOCK, AS PER OUR CUSTOMERS REQUEST WE HAVE BEEN WORKING WITH OUR MANUFACTURER TO MAKE SOME NEEDED CHANGES TO THESE RODS. SO UNTIL THE CORRECTIONS ARE SATISFIED THESE WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE. WE ARE HOPING TO HAVE THEM IN EITHER THE END OF JANUARY OR THE FIRST PART OF FEBRUARY, PLEASE CHECK BACK WITH US! I hope they get them back in soon, they are $100 cheaper than eagles, you could get the different arp's and still come out cheaper

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
but this is not good:
THE D-SERIES RODS ARE CURRENTLY OUT OF STOCK, AS PER OUR CUSTOMERS REQUEST WE HAVE BEEN WORKING WITH OUR MANUFACTURER TO MAKE SOME NEEDED CHANGES TO THESE RODS. SO UNTIL THE CORRECTIONS ARE SATISFIED THESE WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE. WE ARE HOPING TO HAVE THEM IN EITHER THE END OF JANUARY OR THE FIRST PART OF FEBRUARY, PLEASE CHECK BACK WITH US! I hope they get them back in soon, they are $100 cheaper than eagles, you could get the different arp's and still come out cheaper

Is that directly from TT website????? That kind of sucks!! Do you think they are just remachining them mer efficently so there is less custom work to make them fit the piston?

That is a real bummer.......... I thought that the piston fit problem was getting better. I think if i remember correctly that ryan89crx used them for his motor build and they fit perfectly without any sort of modification at all.

Hopefully they do get back soon because they were definately the way to go for the builders on a budget. And hopefully when they do return, the prices arent raised for any modifications that they may have done to them.

thats some good info to know.........Thanks for posting it!! :TU:

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts
Is that directly from TT website????? That kind of sucks!! Do you think they are just remachining them mer efficently so there is less custom work to make them fit the piston?

That is a real bummer.......... I thought that the piston fit problem was getting better. I think if i remember correctly that ryan89crx used them for his motor build and they fit perfectly without any sort of modification at all.

Hopefully they do get back soon because they were definately the way to go for the builders on a budget. And hopefully when they do return, the prices arent raised for any modifications that they may have done to them.

thats some good info to know.........Thanks for posting it!! :TU:
np, yep that's directly from the TT site. Craig is a good guy and I know they're trying their best to get them back in stock.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

ya i'm looking about something inbetween that. my friend is ragging on honda's and i need to shut him up. he's one of those "my parents will buy me that." but thanks for the info you already gave me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts