Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i did try searching but you wont believe the amount of posts with arp in them.

well ive ordered my turbo and next month im getting all my other bits and bobs and up popped the arp head studs on my list. firstly are they only avalible as a stud and not a bolt? and secondly can i install them without taking the head off?

cheers.

luke.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
about £40, it's not price on the HG its more of a convienience thing.

if it's best to take the head then thats what irl do?

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Originally, the ARPs came as a stud with nuts/washers. But the "new" sets come as a "bolt" design with a hex key inset into the head of the bolt.

Anyone got a close-up pic of one?

·
Registered
95 ex coupe
4,281 Posts
i would change the HG if you going to be changin the studs its just one of those things that if you do it the first time you wont be taking your head off again later cause you didnt just go and change the HG the first time.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok irl change the HG at the same time, the only problem i have is that ive never used studs before, always bolts.

i just hand thread them into the block and then torque the washer and nut down like i would bolt yea?

·
Registered
68 Posts
you can tighten the studs a little but be careful you can strip the allen head if you go to tight

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oooooooo bolts :)

well heres the real question now then, which is best? bolts or studs?

(i cant find a part number for the d16z6 bolts in the ARP catalogue)

·
Registered
818 Posts
i would say studs----ive read somewhere that studs hold better and bolts are cheaper thats why stock engines come with bolts instead of spencieve studs

·
Registered
1997 Civic Hatch D18Y8 M62 S/C
2,663 Posts
What's not to understand here?

Studs...

"Bolts"...but with a hex key cut into the head
Dude, I've never heard of hex cap bolts refered to as having a "hex key" cut into it. A bolt or screw with a hex shaped hole cut into it requires the use of an Allen wrench. Now the ARP studs I've used do have the hex shaped hole cut into them which again requires the use of a hex key or Allen wrench.

So that's why your post is confusing.

Allen screw (with hex key hole cut into it)...

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok studs its is then, seeming how they are all i can get in the UK anyway.

is installing the studs with the head on going to cause me problems later down the road? because like i said its just convenience, i will take the head off to prevent hassel later on.

·
I
95 Civic coupe
3,984 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts