Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm new here as well to the honda scene. I have a 98 civic ex with the d16y8 motor. Any suggestions on what route to go with a n/a build?

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
1,831 Posts
What are you looking for in the motor? Is it a DD?

135whp.na should be pretty easy. Over 150 gets hard and expensive.

I my self.love Dseries and have built many. Have loads of.time and money invested so when I say this, it's not be cause i don't like dseries but beause for 80% of people it's the best idea for na power is to swap a b20 bone stock in the car. Cheap, easy and reliable.

An f22 would be awesome too and you can get the.motoe for free.

If you were boosting of for sure stay dseries. Easy to make 400whp

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yea its gonna be a dd as well as a budget build and maybe way down the road boost but for now will be a n/a build

I was thinking maybe high compression pistons rods cam valves springs etc.. but like I said I'm new to all this so is gonna be a learning process for me as well

What u mean get motor for free?

·
Registered
976 Posts
free
/frē/
adjective
not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes.
"I have no ambitions other than to have a happy life and be free"
not or no longer confined or imprisoned.
"the researchers set the birds free"
synonyms: on the loose, at liberty, at large; More
adverb
without cost or payment.
"ladies were admitted free"
synonyms: without charge, free of charge, for nothing, complimentary, gratis, gratuitous, at no cost; More

SAILING
with the sheets eased.
verb
release from captivity, confinement, or slavery.
"they were freed from jail"
synonyms: release, liberate, discharge, emancipate, set free, let go, set at liberty, set loose, let loose, turn loose, deliver; More

·
Registered
976 Posts
Wow. I know what free means was asking how? He said I could get the motor for free
Honda's are cheap buy an Accord for $200 pull the drive train out take the rest of the car to a scrap yard after you part out a few pieces at that point it should either be free or have made you money.

Last car I bought was $700 (Totaled)
Had B20 with GSR trans on Hondata with SI wheels.

I pulled everything I wanted off of it put it in a car I had spent $200 on a shell for this car came with a ton of parts guy was clearing out his garage.

Sold the car i pulled everything from to the local junkyard for $160
Then sold the car I moved everything into for $1200

-$900 spent on cars and parts
+$200 junking 1 car
+$1200 on the car with the swap
+$500ish on all the junk that came with the $200 car
=+$1000 in profit for taking other people junk at low cost and willing to work on and sit on parts till them move.

:3dbiggrin:

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
an NA d16y8 is spendy based purely on parts availability.

There are nowhere near the camshaft options there was even as little as 5 years ago.

I can attest to a stock f22b2 being hilariously fun in a civic.

The f22b is super common in 94-97 accords, and the 1st gen odyssey vans had the f22b5 or b6, which had a slightly better factory camshaft.

Either way, a f22b2 with only a head slice for more compression can easily hit 120whp and be one of the most reliable engines to beat the shit out of.

a simple ebay header (if you can find one that doesnt leak) adds noticeable power as well.

d16y8 motors just dont like to co-operate with budget builds for NA.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys for the info. Really helpful as this is all new to me. Never done a motor build before let alone a swap but I'll try anything. Next step gonna try and find that motor. Is there alot of fab work when doing the swap?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Could always B swap it as well if wanted.
Will need mounts, CV shafts, Shift linkage, & ECU to run it all other than the engine and trans of course.

·
Registered
983 Posts
an NA d16y8 is spendy based purely on parts availability.

There are nowhere near the camshaft options there was even as little as 5 years ago.

I can attest to a stock f22b2 being hilariously fun in a civic.

The f22b is super common in 94-97 accords, and the 1st gen odyssey vans had the f22b5 or b6, which had a slightly better factory camshaft.

Either way, a f22b2 with only a head slice for more compression can easily hit 120whp and be one of the most reliable engines to beat the shit out of.

a simple ebay header (if you can find one that doesnt leak) adds noticeable power as well.

d16y8 motors just dont like to co-operate with budget builds for NA.
id politely disagree with you a bit here.

i had a stroker d17y8 for a while and that was a blast of an engine. a few people had them on this forum. they are cheap to build and mine revved pretty dang well.

now i did have headwork done so you could skip that if you wanted to really stay on a budget. but yea the y8 head is great for compression with its quench area and what not.

your right about cam choices. its like crower is pretty much it for off the shelf cams for these engines anymore.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts