Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys.

This is my situation. I am currently running 1994 Honda Civic Hatchback. d16z6 block, D16y8 head, AEM adjustable cam gear, Obd1 Loomb & hondata s300 obd1 ECU. I am running a d16y8 distributor housing with D16z6 distributor internals and obd1 plug. However cannot rotate the distributor enough to obtain the base timing (rotating the dizzy towards the front of the engine bay etc).

Can i simply bore out the mounting holes with a dremel to get the extra rotation that i need or are there other issues i am missing ?

Thanks guys

Lyle !

·
Registered
59 Posts
There should really be no reason that you have to go farther, then what the dizzy casting allows just to set a base timing. Something seems to be wrong, you did put everything into the y8 dizzy correctly yes? Just trying to get some more info to help ya out.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes i changed all the internals from the D16z6 dizzy into the D16y8 dizzy housing and also changed the plug from obd2 to obd1 (to match my loomb)

You cannot however rotate the dizzy forward enough to set the base timing. So can i simply bore out the holes or is there something else i am missing?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I wouldn't recommend it, like I said I still think something else is wrong. I'm going to say it "is" the "dizzy housing" because running the p28 with a y8 housing is what's messing you up you will never be able to adjust it w/o rigging it a.k.a 2 bolts 1 flange ground down. Sorry if I'm barely making sense, lack of sleep and ton's of coffee.. lol I'll see if I can dig up a picture of what I mean

·
Registered
59 Posts

If you look close this is what I had to do for my mini-me A6 bottom Z6 head. 1bolt on bottom, 1 bolt on the top with washer, half of the top mounting flange ground off. was boosting 12 psi on this build.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well these are the combinations i have tried so far

* D16y8 Dizzy with spliced obd1 plug (bolts to head fine) = CEL
* D16z6 dizzy retrofitted to y8 head. Does not match head bolt displacement. Only attached by one bolt (not three) = Car runs fine No CEL but ghetto mounting
* D16y8 dizzy housing with d16z6 internals = No CEL however not enough rotation / adjustment to set base timing.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
basically what do i need to do to get my setup running corrently without ghetto mounting a dizzy with one bolt & washer ?

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
Been done before. Grab your grinder/dremel. Or use a D15 dizzy.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
hey mate !

So are those notched holes on a d16y8 dizzy housing with d16z6 internals on a d16y8 head?

and are you saying a distributor from a d15b7 dizzy will work 100% ?

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Been done before. Grab your grinder/dremel. Or use a D15 dizzy.

DAYUM its been a while since i saw that picture.... thats the floor of my old apartment. jesus.

to the original poster, chances are your timing belt is out.

99% of the time people run OBD1 with a head other than a Z6 they use the D15B7 distributor. it bolts right up.

in fact thats what my D17 stroker is using

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
Im also running the d15 dizzy on my Y8 head on a z6 bottom. No issues with the swap.

Ive never notched a dizzy like in the pic, just threw that up as example, so.... its up to you. I say use what you have, unless you can locate another quickly/inexpensively

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
you can see that distributor picture above right?

so follow it instead of buying another distributor
or find a BAD d15b7 distributor for super cheap and swap internals

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
what year car is this in???

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
you have two things you can do....first is the do like said above and use a d15b7 dizzy...the 2nd is to use an engine harness from a 96-01 integra so that you can use your y8 dizzy,but you will have to swap out your injectors and alt to obd2....not sure what way is cheaper for you though....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts